Sponsored by:

will set of tyres/wheels fit into 911 or 951

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 12:23 AM
R. Miller
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post will set of tyres/wheels fit into 911 or 951

Will a set of 4 15" wheels/tyres fit into the "trunk" or will they "spill" into the cabin or just not fit at all? I'm curious as I want to autocross and plan to purchase a second set. Also has anybody a preference when it comes to light wheels of SSR vs Kosei brand or know of any other cheaper brand of really light (sub 15lbs) wheels? Thank you.
Old 07-10-2001, 09:21 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You didn't mention what kind of car you have? You can put a set of wheels/tires in the 951 if you remove the rear-seat backs. The entire set will sit vertically four-across no problem.

Didn't know SSR and Kosei made wheels for Porsches? Lightweight in Porsche sizes will be Kinesis and Fikse. Next comes HRE and CCW. I've got a set of 16x10.5" 3-piece HREs and they weight about 18lbs (lighter than all 1-piece wheels except for TE-37). -danno
Old 07-10-2001, 10:32 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will a set of 4 15" wheels/tyres fit into the "trunk" or will they "spill" into the cabin or just not fit at all?.
If you remove the bracketry in the spare wheel well, you can actually fit 4 16x7/16x9 in there with a roll bar. I thought I had fit the 4 15x7's in the back with a spare tire in and the rear seat folded down but I cannot recall. Take out the spare and take a dremmel tool to the brackets that get in the way and you will have no issues whatsoever (if you need the rear seat in for your class).

Also has anybody a preference when it comes to light wheels of SSR vs Kosei brand or know of any other cheaper brand of really light (sub 15lbs) wheels?
I have friends with both (for ITRs and M3s) and I think the Kosei is a phenomenal bargain (esp. at 10 or so lbs. for a 15x7). I have never seen a Kosei for our lug pattern and have only seen SSR's in that pattern as 18" rims. As far as preference, I'd take a Kosei simply due to cost if that question still stands.

I believe the 15x7 phone dials are rather light (if not 15lbs, they should be close) and you could always offset the weight by going with an extremely light R compound (such as the A3S03 Hoosier) for auto-x or the R3S03 for road courses - unsprung weight is unsprung weight regardless of the source.

Of-course that's just my understanding/point of view. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: will set of tyres/wheels fit into 911 or 951