Wanted: Sebring Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wanted: Sebring Tips

I'm getting ready for my first DE at Sebring with my 964. (I've driven a few times B4, but years ago) In preparation I've been watching a lot of in car video that I've gotten from friends. I've compiled a list of "Sebring Cliff Notes" that I thought I'd share. As a student driver I'd appreciate some feedback and tips from you guys with a lot more experience.
  • Turn 1 - look for a cone marking the apex stuck in the fencing. You're more or less "blind" on entry
  • Heading into turn 2 stay more or less in the center of the track to better line up turn 3
  • Late apex 3
  • Compromise turn 4 and don't track all the way out - you've got to nail turn 5
  • Turn 5 is critical - heads onto a long straight - gotta get a really late apex here. If you turn in too early, you're going off track!
  • turn 6 - flat out
  • Turn 7 the safety pin big braking zone, don't come in too hot. Late apex the turn so that you drive a straight line through the twisty
  • Turn 8 & 9 - flat out
  • Get a late apex into 10
  • Getting 10 done right leaves you on the "wrong" side of 11, so it's compromised. Just use a steady hand and a constant radius and the track will "come to you" putting you in position for turn 12.
  • Turn 13 - Don't bother moving to the extreme left to get setup for the right-hander. Drive a straight line off the exit of 12 into the entry of 13
  • turn 14 - flat out
  • Turn 15 - not much to say....
  • Turn 16 is absolutely critical as it leads onto the big straight. There's 'extra' room on entry of the turn, so you can swing wide and get a comfortable run at the apex
  • Turn 17 (no one ever seems to take it the same way twice!) Seems like making two turns out of it is the best approach. Hard on the brakes, turn in a little and trail brake. Turn in some more, find an apex down towards the inside curbing and track out towards the bridge.
    For some reason I really hate to use the word trail brake in this forum

So that's what I THINK I've learned from watching videos. I'd really appreciate some tips and wisdom from guys that have run there.

For fun, here's a video clip of the Flying Finn doing a pretty fast lap in his 993.
WARNING: 28MB!

For reference, here's a track map:
Old 04-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Wanted: Sebring Tips

Originally posted by C4 Guy
For some reason I really hate to use the word trail brake in this forum
LOL!

I like to trail the brakes into turn 7 in order to keep the front end planted and reduce understeer.

IMHO, Sebring has several turns you have to compromise on in order to set up correctly for the next turn.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are those going to be the passing zones?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:21 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sloth
Are those going to be the passing zones?
No. They will most likely be:

-from turn 5-7 between the bridges
-from turn 7-10 probably will be the same
-from Tower turn to Bishop's bend
-from from turn 16-17
-from turn 17-1
Old 04-01-2004, 10:22 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

BTW C4, I will be instructing there, if you have any questions at the track, look for me.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

My tips: Use a lot of throttle, a little brake, and hold on.

I've only been there once, so I can't really replay the track in my head well enough to give many solid tips, but I was in a pretty fast car turning laps at 2:20 flat and it was one of the most exciting track experiences I've ever had. Be sure to step back and think about the history of the place while you are there...you'll be driving on the same concrete that many a sports car legend has driven.

Have fun!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:46 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by mitch236
BTW C4, I will be instructing there, if you have any questions at the track, look for me.
Cool! I'll do that!
As the registrar for the Gold Coast Region, I'm really looking forward to attending a Suncoast event - I won't have to work! I can just drive!

Last night I was watching the "intro to sebring" video you guys produced for last years Parade. There's lots of good stuff in there!
Old 04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by C4 Guy
As the registrar for the Gold Coast Region, I'm really looking forward to attending a Suncoast event - I won't have to work! I can just drive!
Do they let you drive during the Gold Coast events???
Old 04-01-2004, 01:18 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Sloth
Do they let you drive during the Gold Coast events???
Yes I can drive, but I'm pulling double duty the day of the event.
I've got registration duties first thing in the morning. ...so while you're already in the tech inspection line, I'll still be at the gate checking people in and handing out the track day paperwork. Then we've got student & instructor assignment.... So by the time the first group is out on the track, I'm just getting finished up.

It takes a couple of laps before I can forget about registration stuff and "get my head in the game". Once we get through the morning though it settles down and I can be driver instead of the registrar.

So buy a club member volunteer a beer - would 'ya!
Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
techno99
Racer

One nice thing about Sebring, there are lots of pavement changes to use for turn in markers. On turn 1 there is a stripe that goes all the way across the track that I use. I like to turn in a bit before it. On turn 5 there is a concrete patch on the inside of the corner. I usually try to place my car on the ride side of the concrete as I turn into the corner. There are no signifcant markers in the pavement for turn 7. On both turns 10 and 13, there are more pavement changes that I use for turn in. On turn 16, there are 2 pot holes that I use as gates to turn in.

PCA generally like to use lots of cones for turn in and apex cones. Watch when these cones get punted and everyone adjusts their lines accordingly. Have fun and see you in May.

Last edited by techno99; 04-01-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:19 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

There are no really markers for turn 7.
check the road tities next time you're there. There is a perfectly placed one.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:22 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Terry,

The best advice I can give you is concentrate on getting your lines right, being smooth and then you'll be fast other than that it's a recipe for disaster...
Old 04-01-2004, 07:37 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be driving it for the first time as well. I've been down there twice for the 12 hour, so like road atlanta, it will be cool to drive a circuit I normally see on TV. I have a video game with sebring on it that I've been playing some. This came from my home region (citrus). Hope it helps.
David

Sebring, Florida - Jorg Bergmeister, driver of the number 23 McKenna/mail2web/Alex Job Racing/Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, takes you for a ride around the 3.7 mile, 17-turn Sebring International Raceway.

Coming to take the green flag you are flat out in sixth gear, entering turn one you brake under the famous Sebring bridge and start looking for the apex, which is almost around the bend. You apex turn one by the wall, but not too close as it is bumpy there and can easily turn you into the barrier, then back on the gas in fourth gear. The exit of turn one can be tricky, there is big bump out there as well so you have to be careful.

The braking point for turn two is where the tarmac changes, get the car slowed and down shift to third gear. You have to concentrate through turns four and five without sliding the car too much while focusing on maximizing your exit speed for the run through six headed into seven.

Turn seven is the slowest corner on the track, the braking point is treacherous as the pavement changes and can be slippery. This corner is taken in second gear and the drive through eight and nine is flat for your entry into ten. Turn ten is taken in third gear if you are on new tires or qualifying, second gear if late in your run. You have to be careful not to track out too far as you have trouble maximizing your speed through turns 11 and 12.

Turn 13 is taken in third gear, you track out pretty far and that sets you up for the run through 14 for braking into 15, downshift to third being careful not to get off line.

Le Mans Curve, or turn 16, is the most important on the track as it leads to the long backstretch, the fastest portion of Sebring. You drive fairly hard into 16 and exit with all four wheels over the curb to maximize your exit speed; it pays off at the end of the straight.

The braking point for turn 17 is at the end of the cement wall, you are quick on the brakes, turn in while down shifting to third, putting the car right up against the wall. If you are on a perfect lap you are back to full throttle at the bridge and you are then riding out the bumps to the track out for your run down the front straight.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

The cement wall Jorg mentions as the braking point for turn 17 is a temporary wall that's moved after the race so I hope nobody tries to use the repositioned wall for a braking spot otherwise you're in for a rude surprise.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:18 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by David Edwards

Le Mans Curve, or turn 16, is the most important on the track as it leads to the long backstretch, the fastest portion of Sebring. You drive fairly hard into 16 and exit with all four wheels over the curb to maximize your exit speed; it pays off at the end of the straight.
Four wheels over the curb? What curb?

Quick Reply: Wanted: Sebring Tips