Macan 2014-Current

Trying to compare S vs. GTS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 08:42 PM
bjsbuds
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to compare S vs. GTS

A couple of weeks ago I went to the local dealership intending on looking for a CPO Cayenne around $60K. I ended up test driving a Macan. They gave me a GTS, oh my, I loved it. However, the Macan GTS was $82K, much more than the $60K I was thinking about.

This vehicle would replace my BMW 550i. Quite a change.

Anyway, not wanting to spend $80K on a car, I started researching the S vs. the GTS. I have attempted to build identical vehicles on Porsche's web site. I am hoping forum members will take a look and tell me if I am missing anything between the two, It appears the difference is $5,000. Both builds do not include Navi, which I may add.

Macan S - PH3AUX37

http://www.porsche-code.com/PH3AUX37

Macan GTS - PHVKQLG3

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHVKQLG3

I really appreciate input.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks pretty complete. I suggest adding the no cost smoking package not in order to smoke, but because it adds an extra 12v socket to the console.

You are saving some money with the S but as you know, you forego the GTS's extra HP, the lowered suspension and PASM handling package. There is almost no body roll in corners, yet the ride is comfortable and compliant. If it won't break the bank, the GTS is worth the extra $5k.

Last edited by Need4S; 01-02-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:30 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was buying a Macan for my ride, I doubt I could resist the GTS.
However, my wife just loves her Macan S, and could care less about more performance than it provides. When I occasionally drive it, it is a pleasure.
Happy choices....
Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM
edwjmcgrath
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not going to get either for $60k. That said, the GTS and S look quite different. The GTS has lots of black accents, while the S does not. That was enough for me to choose the S over the GTS, even though I would have preferred a little more HP.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

BTW, it's possible to add more HP. http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/a...an-s-gts-turbo
Old 01-02-2017, 03:39 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
Looks pretty complete. I suggest adding the no cost smoking package not in order to smoke, but because it adds an extra 12v socket to the console.

You are saving some money with the S but as you know, you forego the GTS's extra HP, the lowered suspension and PDCC handling package. The PDCC is significant IMHO. It allows for better ride and handling. There is almost no body roll in corners, yet the ride is comfortable and compliant. If it won't break the bank, the GTS is worth the extra $5k.
You maybe thinking of the cayenne, since the Macan does not have a PDCC package. The GTS does come with pasm and it is lowered by 10mm. The stock S suspension is good, it can be a bit soft at times depending on the road conditions. But there is very little to no body roll when compared to a Q5.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Todd B
You maybe thinking of the cayenne, since the Macan does not have a PDCC package. The GTS does come with pasm and it is lowered by 10mm. The stock S suspension is good, it can be a bit soft at times depending on the road conditions. But there is very little to no body roll when compared to a Q5.
You are correct. I was thinking of PASM and the 10mm lower air suspension. Edited my post above.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:15 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

The prices are very close. I've driven both. The GTS is the clear choice. If you get the 'S' make sure you will have not regrets . Also compare the standard equipment of the two side by side. You can see it by clicking on details.

My two cent...black roof rails go with black door handles and blades ...I'm partial to the contrast. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2017, 10:05 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just traded my wife's 2013 550 x drive M sport in on a 2017 Macan GTS. Very very happy! Spec'd it to 80k even. Carmine red, GTS interior with red seat belts,stitching, center gauge. Get the Apple Car play, don't need Nav. Much better DD, sporty, comfortable, better sound with the sport exhaust. The air suspension is nice. Off road mode for Colorado snowstorms, lower it for sporty driving. I just wish they would let you configure which buttons to keep on. Like the memory seats and the keys. Come on Porsche
Attached Images      
Old 01-04-2017, 01:21 AM
Buckfever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bjsbuds
It appears the difference is $5,000.

That's what I found too, because so much of what I wanted was standard on the GTS. I think a lightly optioned GTS is a bargain. It may not be the fastest but the drive is ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:49 PM
VoodooUomo
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

If you can swing it, go with as lightly optioned as you can GTS. I arrived at the same small price difference but I suspect the GTS would net you more than $5K back at resale time (if you sell it within, say, 5 years). So in the long run, it might very well end up being cheaper.

Edit:
If you're really trying to save money, there are lots of options you can do without on your S build. Ditch the leather (especially if you have kids). Ditch Sport Chrono and PASM, the standard suspension on an S is very capable and how many times are you really going to use launch control on an SUV? I'd even drop the side blade in exterior color option.
You'd end up with a $65K S build, which is much closer to your $60K budget.

Last edited by VoodooUomo; 01-10-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Premature post
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bjsbuds
A couple of weeks ago I went to the local dealership intending on looking for a CPO Cayenne around $60K. I ended up test driving a Macan. They gave me a GTS, oh my, I loved it. However, the Macan GTS was $82K, much more than the $60K I was thinking about.

This vehicle would replace my BMW 550i. Quite a change.

Anyway, not wanting to spend $80K on a car, I started researching the S vs. the GTS. I have attempted to build identical vehicles on Porsche's web site. I am hoping forum members will take a look and tell me if I am missing anything between the two, It appears the difference is $5,000. Both builds do not include Navi, which I may add.

Macan S - PH3AUX37

http://www.porsche-code.com/PH3AUX37

Macan GTS - PHVKQLG3

http://www.porsche-code.com/PHVKQLG3

Nice build on the GTS, but you might consider the black brushed aluminum trim instead of the piano black, fewer finger prints to deal with.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:59 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i went in to buy a base Macan for my wife and then saw the GTS...It was game over, i caved in for the GTS with no regrets
Old 01-10-2017, 05:08 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default +1

Same here, supposed to be base maybe S and ended up GTS and could not be happier.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:27 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
Nice build on the GTS, but you might consider the black brushed aluminum trim instead of the piano black, fewer finger prints to deal with.
I assume you have the brushed black aluminum like I do. Ever feel like dust gets stuck between the little lines? I feel like I am wiping it off once over other week.

Quick Reply: Trying to compare S vs. GTS