Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

996 Cup time for rebuild or buy a 991 Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:05 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
tom,
may be next season.
yep we will talk!!

To OP... huge congrats on an amazing car!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:52 PM
GWF911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG!!! Finally got to take the new to me 991.1 Cup out today. It was Friggin amazing. Going from the 04 996 Cup to the 16 991 cup was like going from a Cessna to a fighter jet. What a blast. Don't get me wrong I still love my 996 Cup. Driving the 996 is like an art form. When you are driving it to its limit it is pretty amazing but this new one is fantastic. Heading back out tomorrow and can't wait!!
Old 03-05-2017, 04:53 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GWF911
OMG!!! Finally got to take the new to me 991.1 Cup out today. It was Friggin amazing. Going from the 04 996 Cup to the 16 991 cup was like going from a Cessna to a fighter jet. What a blast. Don't get me wrong I still love my 996 Cup. Driving the 996 is like an art form. When you are driving it to its limit it is pretty amazing but this new one is fantastic. Heading back out tomorrow and can't wait!!
Good to hear, I'm doing the same soon so any experience or thoughts after your first outings please share!!

ie 996 ABS vs 991 brakes?

Paddle shifting tips? Downshift at same points?

Feel more down force?

How did brake points change

Thanks
Old 03-06-2017, 12:54 AM
GWF911
Advanced

Tom - It is definitely different and we are still working through the setup so not driving it at the limit yet. We have been tweaking everything. It is a lot more complicated than the 996. More adjustments are possible and necessary. The brakes take some getting used to but I am easing into them and only locked up rears once each day.

I was having real problems downshifting but came to realize I was so used to doing Heel/Toe that I was still just barely touching throttle under braking and it is so sensitive to that it would not allow the downshift. That was really messing me up ands throwing off rhythm etc. I needed to very deliberately focus on putting foot in middle of pedal until I stopped doing that. Be firm with paddle shifters. I was not pulling them hard enough at first and when upshifting make sure you are on throttle. I experience a lot more oversteer with this car and very little understeer. This is major reason for all the adjustments. I have been easing into it but I find I drive my home track in the same exact gears for each corner and straight. Downshifting is obviously a lot easier as long as you keep right foot on the brake and away from throttle. I am thinking when I get up to speed the brake points will be very similar. The brakes are strong but you are carrying more speed into most of the corners so it seems to be evening out. Hope to have a better idea after next saturday if we can get the oversteer dialed down.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Tom - It is definitely different and we are still working through the setup so not driving it at the limit yet. We have been tweaking everything. It is a lot more complicated than the 996. More adjustments are possible and necessary. The brakes take some getting used to but I am easing into them and only locked up rears once each day.

I was having real problems downshifting but came to realize I was so used to doing Heel/Toe that I was still just barely touching throttle under braking and it is so sensitive to that it would not allow the downshift. That was really messing me up ands throwing off rhythm etc. I needed to very deliberately focus on putting foot in middle of pedal until I stopped doing that. Be firm with paddle shifters. I was not pulling them hard enough at first and when upshifting make sure you are on throttle. I experience a lot more oversteer with this car and very little understeer. This is major reason for all the adjustments. I have been easing into it but I find I drive my home track in the same exact gears for each corner and straight. Downshifting is obviously a lot easier as long as you keep right foot on the brake and away from throttle. I am thinking when I get up to speed the brake points will be very similar. The brakes are strong but you are carrying more speed into most of the corners so it seems to be evening out. Hope to have a better idea after next saturday if we can get the oversteer dialed down.

Wow Gary, huge help thanks for taking the time to share! well good luck will be getting mine in a few weeks so we can compare notes!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:08 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

275 hours?

Good to know I'm not at 50% of engine life yet
Old 03-24-2017, 07:53 PM
GWF911
Advanced

When you think about it, why not 275 hours? They are Porsches Damn it

Tom - the other thing I have noticed is that I just don't get the tire life that I used to get away with on the 996. If I really pushed it I could get somewhere around 12-13 heat cycles out of the Pirellis before they were absolutely useless. With this car after about 6-8 heat cycles they are dangerous. With the extra horsepower and greater tendency to over steer you end up sliding so much it gets out of control. I used to enjoy driving the 996 on worn tires as you could comfortably slide and ease that thing around the track really well and then put fresh tires on and feel like a hero. Had a track day yesterday with just me and an F4 car out there so we got the car dialed in pretty well. I think we will continue to tweak it but my coach (pro driver) was finally able to post a really good time and I was within about 4% of his time so feeling pretty settled for the moment. This thing is like heroin.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:08 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

When you think about it, why not 275 hours? They are Porsches Damn it
Well, between my and your post I got a call from the race shop telling me that this is the last season I should be running my engine (mind you I only do 6 days a year), because the time has come (leakdown test shows it. Luckily the leakage is fairly uniform, so just wear and tear, and no part in particular that stands out). I have no documentation on my car as to when and if the last rebuild happened, but the car's ECU says 200 hours at the moment.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:47 PM
GWF911
Advanced

Luckily I have all the docs and new exactly what it had on it and checked leak downs etc. It ran strong all through the race season and I managed to keep up with every other 04 Cup. Now I have all the time in the world to get it rebuilt. The tranny was already rebuilt and the new livery is waiting to be put on. So focused on learning the 991 Cup and preparing for that race series that I am in no rush with the 996. May even rest up a bit and race/track less this year. Tennis is much cheaper Good luck with the rebuild!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

It had 9% leakdown (if I recall correctly) when I bought it.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Honestly I don't know what to do yet. I'm coming to a point where, at least where I live, the car is way too fast to run between normal road cars and becomes too slow to be running between the race cars (seems everyone threw their 996/997 Cup in the bin and runs 991 Cups, or 458 Challenge/GT3 Ferraris), so either you pass your time slicing through traffic, or pass your time looking in the rear view mirror.

If the engine gets refreshed I will be good for quite a lot of years, but I don't know if I will still be running the car in all those years. Parts are also harder and harder to come by, some are simply not made anymore (front bumpers for instance). So is the investment worth it? I think that I should be switching to either something faster or something slower. But it's a hard choice, as most non-factory race cars equate to just throwing money down the drain (not even mentioning lack of support/knowledge, since it is no standard build), since none of them have any residual value, which is not the case with a Cup car.

991 Cup is way out of my league price-wise, I think 997 gearbox rebuilds will kill my finances too, maybe a Cayman GT4, but how much faster is that than a 996 Cup and will it be as much fun?

Or take a step back and run a slower car on r-comps and work on the momentum skills? Renting a car (but I like the idea of running my own)? But what car? Once you're used to a race car every road-legal car feels pretty numb.

Stuff to think about (sorry for hijacking the thread ).
Old 03-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

^^^ just step up to a 997.1 cup as the engine go 200+ hours and you will love the gearbox! There are some great deals on 997.1 cup so you could almost swap at no cost.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:51 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I've heard (and seen!) quite a lot of horror stories about that gear box ...

Quick Reply: 996 Cup time for rebuild or buy a 991 Cup?