Sponsored by:

Paddle Shift Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:49 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle Shift Alternatives

What are the differences between the various paddle shift options - Megaline, Hollinger, KMP, Shiftec? Technical differences between them, pros and cons, and what would you recommend? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM
joeykid
Instructor

Joe- I am not a technical guy. I am a driver., I can comment from my experience. I had a cup that I installed the KMP system in. I also now have a cup I installed the Hollinger system in. The Hollinger system is noticeably quicker on the downshifts. It always does as expected and is not quirky. There is a little thing at start-up that can rev the engine if you don't wait 10 seconds to start, otherwise flawless. The components and bits and pieces all appear to be a grade above the KMP system. I am sure others will compare the other systems but for me it is Hollinger.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

joe, did you have an issue with the megaline in the #997?
i always felt that was a spot-on system in terms of on track performance though no nothing about its durability etc.
for that car or a different one?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

No issues with the 3R. For a different car - my '02 996 GT3RS with '09 cup gearbox.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:03 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe T
No issues with the 3R. For a different car - my '02 996 GT3RS with '09 cup gearbox.
Cheater
Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

why not go with the sme megaline if they sell a kit . that way if you needed to pinch parts in a bind, you can . something getting sent out for service, you can just pull the bit/widget from the other so you're high and dry without pieces. . plus the crew only has to master one system, updates, upkeep, servicing, they arent crossed up with two knowledge bases.
the megaline works else porsche wouldnt have come back to it with all the 991 cups .
Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
why not go with the sme megaline if they sell a kit . that way if you needed to pinch parts in a bind, you can . something getting sent out for service, you can just pull the bit/widget from the other so you're high and dry without pieces. . plus the crew only has to master one system, updates, upkeep, servicing, they arent crossed up with two knowledge bases.
the megaline works else porsche wouldnt have come back to it with all the 991 cups .
+1 Way I would go.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 AM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

I've been considering options for 001 and also concluded the Megaline system is best.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For any info or inquiry about the megaline feel free to give us a call or email.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

We are in the process of fitting the Holinger kit to an 08 Cup. Nicely engineered piece of kit. We'll be testing it next week so I'll report back then.

We went for Holinger simply as its designed and manufactured by the same company that made the box. Seemed a no brainer.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Joe T
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the input. Honestly, I believe the choice is between Hollinger (for the reasons stated above as well as my guys are well versed in this option) and Megaline. Seeking input as to which system people feel is better and why. This is helpful.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Holinger system in my '10 Cup. I can say that the engineering on the unit is first rate, service and support is first rate, and the system functioned as advertised out of the box e.g. no screwing around with settings. I had one of the early systems that had some issues with the blipper solenoid valve - it would stick thus causing long blips when things got hot. Holinger was aware of the issue and sent a replacement part with a different lube system. They have since revised the blipper solenoid and I now have that new unit in place and it's been working without issue. They have also added a new dual channel gear pot that communicates with the Cup ECU and the Holinger control unit. We put that unit in during the recent trans overhaul done by PMNA and have not had any issues as a result of that change.

Comparing the KMP vs. Holinger from and engineering perspective the Holinger is the better system IMO. The Holinger is plug and play from an installation perspective. I've chatted with folks that have both and have driven both and they all have stated that the Holinger system is crisper on the up and down shifts, where the KPM seems to have some system lag. I know the KMP system has a bunch of settings you can tweak to improve performance but IMO that misses the mark, I just want things to work without a bunch of monkeying around.

I know that James at GMG has driven cars with both systems and could probably give you a good assessment as well. PMNA's choice of the MegaLine system speaks volumes and that system looks to be really nice, I only question the choice of not having a pressure storage tank as it seems the compressor becomes the weak link in the system over time.

Cheers,
Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 PM
georgemcf
Rennlist Member

Would anybody be willing to post up some motec log files to compare the up shift and down**** times for the systems?

I run the KMP system as it was the only real system available when it was installed.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift Alternatives