Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Cayman PDK "problem"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 AM
annapolis76eb
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Cayman PDK "problem"?

I have searched and searched and have not been able to find anything regarding my issue so I hoped some of the experienced 987.2 owners could help. A few months ago I purchased an 09 Cayman base with PDK. Everything has been great and I really enjoy the car. Over the past few days I noticed the transmission acting odd at low speed. In the morning I let the carw arm up for around 5 minutes while I make my coffee and then I slowly drive out of my neighborhood. Just recently I noticed that at low speed and low rpm the throttle will blip (rpms jump 100-300 rpm as it changes gears) when upshifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Once I pull out of the neighborhood and accelerate with a little heavier throttle there are no issues. This only occurs at very low speed and low rpm. The car shifts as it should once I give it a little more throttle.

I know the PDK blips the throttle on downshift, but I cannot find anything about a blip on upshift. Hopefully this is normal and I am just being paranoid as I am prone to be, but any input from longtime PDK drivers would be very greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have had my 09 base since new and if you forced me to find fault with pdk it is babying it when cold and the trans does not like one foot on gas and the other on the brake [the car will hesitate]. my driving habits come from my earlier years of the movement of very heavy off road vehicles .if i drive my po like a normal car and not baby it i have nothing to say bad about pdk.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM
annapolis76eb
5th Gear

When I get into it I totally agree the PDK is mind blowing. My problem is I live in a very small neighborhood and I cannot go over 10 mph when driving out of it. It is also 5:00 a.m. when I leave and the exhaust is loud and the pretentious a-holes I live next to would call the HOA in a second. That said, has your PDK ever blipped the throttle when upshifting? Also, I never drive with 2 feet unless it is in a manual.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:30 PM
extanker
Banned

what you call a blip i call a cold shift slip by a trans that for lack of a better term is gun shy in the morn.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM
annapolis76eb
5th Gear

A slip is a good term for it. So nothing to be worried about then?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:45 PM
extanker
Banned

i aint frettin over it.......start it up and drive away like it is a 65 impala .imho it is a quirk not an issue
Old 05-03-2016, 03:02 PM
annapolis76eb
5th Gear

Haha Thats how I drive every other time but the morning. My neighbors really are d****. I had magnaflows, which arent that loud, on my 68 Bronco that I put a 347 stroker in. They complained. I ended up having to install some quiet Jones mufflers just so I could drive the thing. Im not sure how loud most Caymans are, but mine is loud. It sounds phenomenal.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, when my '09 base Boxster PDK is cold the shifts from 1st to 2nd are slow which allows the engine to rev up a couple hundred RPM before the next gear engages. I see this happening on the 2-3 gearchange too, though not as noticeably.
When warm this does not happen, and when I press the accelerator more aggressively when it is cold (I don't do that very often at all) the shift is quicker and the RPM rise is very slight, if at all.

I too wondered if this was normal, and your experience along with extanker's seems to confirm it.

Last edited by Spokayman; 05-04-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 PM
annapolis76eb
5th Gear

Thanks for putting my concerns at ease guys. Being new to Porsche I am still trying to figure out what to be concerned with and what is normal. I already go overboard on every little noise, vibration, or smell from all my vehicles and having something far different than what I am used to is driving me crazy. Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 322 Likes on 163 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to share what I found on my 2012 Boxster PDK on this issue. My car consistently was slipping or blipping upshifts from 1st to 2nd for the first shifts or two each time after starting the car. I checked the PDK clutch fluid level and found it to be 3-4 ounces low, must have not been perfectly filled during the last clutch fluid service. After adding 3-4 ounces in, the behavior has greatly reduced. I followed the preliminary work in the following doc, steps 1 - 1.3 https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...tch-fluid-.pdf
Old 08-17-2019, 10:45 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_357
I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to share what I found on my 2012 Boxster PDK on this issue. My car consistently was slipping or blipping upshifts from 1st to 2nd for the first shifts or two each time after starting the car. I checked the PDK clutch fluid level and found it to be 3-4 ounces low, must have not been perfectly filled during the last clutch fluid service. After adding 3-4 ounces in, the behavior has greatly reduced. I followed the preliminary work in the following doc, steps 1 - 1.3 https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...tch-fluid-.pdf
Hey thanks!

I've been experiencing all of the above... EXACTLY.
Once she's good and warm all is well.
So good to know.

Quick Reply: 09 Cayman PDK "problem"?