Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Postscript to Cayman Maintenance Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts
Default Postscript to Cayman Maintenance Adventure

Post Script: That was a fun article to write and was interesting drama to say the least. But what about Cayman maintenance for the DYI person. Doable? Well, certainly up to the point of my self-induced electrical problem, I think the maintenance part went quite well. As I pointed out, the internet was invaluable in its assistance. We all know there is the good and bad on the internet so everything I use there is tempered with some judgement. Common sense is always required. If I'm going to keep at this, I will almost certainly purchase an AllDataDIY subscription for the car. I have used this downloadable service to obtain shop manuals for other cars and it is very cost effective (currently $30 for 5 years). I own the book 101 Projects for Your Boxster from Pelican and think it is a worthwhile resource that has tentacles to Cayman maintenance. Actually, the entire series of 101 Projects books by Wayne Dempsey are very well written and worthwhile guides to maintenance, especially for the NOOB.

Porsche uses an expensive tool they call PIWIS to manage the electrical and software aspects of the car. I understand it is totally out of the price range of a DIY guy. After my recent experience, I am looking strongly at the Durametrics device, which is a few hundred dollars. I'm not kidding myself, I'm sure it can't do nearly as much as PIWIS but their advertising blurb sounds promising.

I will have to say that after 60,000 miles and 9 years, our Cayman has been dead nuts reliable. We did learn early on to never let the battery get low, which resulted in the "tow of shame" once early in it's life before I understood that the car can be driven with all those warning lights blazing, again using common sense and understanding that some lights are more dire than others. Check engine light- motor on. Oil pressure light- shut down immediately and call for a tow.

I own a lifetime's accumulation of tools and there were items in my collection beyond the standard set. First, everyone should go out and buy the largest Craftsman automotive assortment they can afford. On a per tool basis it is an incredible value and it will all fit in a large tool box. Although my lift is wonderful, I went for years using a jack and jackstands. Buy good quality jackstands. Your life depends on them.

Beyond the basic handtools, a set of ratchet driven allen head sockets is mandatory as well as a set of torx drive sockets. I haven't run into any "cheesehead" or "triplepoint" fasteners yet (they may be more common on the 80's cars) but a set of these is a good idea. Access to the front spark plugs is pretty restrictive. I used a variety of extensions and flex joints. The brake pads only required pliers, a drift, and a hammer. I use big "channel lock" pliers to retract the pads. The serpentine belt required a rather large socket (22 mm?) but that should have come with your big Craftsman tool set. The tool that fits over the end of the oil filter housing to allow removal with a ratchet is helpful, although I suspect a strap wrench would have worked. And a torque wrench for the plugs, although I've been torquing them by feel for years. I love my Motive Products pressure bleeder for flushing brake fluid. All in all, not too bad. Wayne Dempsey's books do a good job of listing tools required for the various jobs.

In summary, the basic tune-up items that I performed got done with little drama until I killed the battery. I'd be up for more but as I've said, I don't expect much maintenance action on the Cayman because it is such a well built car. When things do crop up, I suspect they'll be in the genre of electrical items in the cabin not working properly. Now that is a whole other ballgame and may indeed be beyond the ability of the average DIY guy. We'll see. I taught myself to work on Bosch electronic fuel injection back in the 80's when it was scary territory. Now it seems like old hat. I'm working my way towards knowing my way around a 928 electrical system. A steep learning curve but I do say, the Germans produce one hell of a nice set of electrical diagrams.

In conclusion, these are fine cars. We love them. We like to drive them. Some maintenance is required. Tackle it. The money you save can and will buy a lot of fun at your next HPDE!

FYI, my total parts cost, including the brakes, was around $400, from Paragon.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:44 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well described Harvey. That all seems spot on with my experiences with a Cayman and a 996.
The only thing I could add is to learn how to remove and reinstall the front bumper cover.
The 996s (and maybe the 987s) have an electrical resistor for the radiator fan motors that is prone to expire. Replacing that unit and cleaning out the area between the radiator and A/C condenser are two items that require the cover to be removed. It is not very difficult to do, and you will be amazed at the leaves, cigarette butts, insects, etc that accumulates in front of the radiator and especially behind it.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Greatly enjoyed the read Harvey, thank you..
Old 08-20-2015, 11:48 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

As someone shopping for a Cayman, you have been most helpful !!

Quick Reply: Postscript to Cayman Maintenance Adventure