Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New versus Old Cayman Driving Feel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
Would you pick the S or the GTS if you had to choose? I am trying my best to really understand the differences of these two versions, but the way I look at it from what I know is the GTS is a more bells and whistles version of the S with a different fascia and tune.
read the latest Excellence. GTS vs R. I was surprised at the outcome.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:09 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
read the latest Excellence. GTS vs R. I was surprised at the outcome.
Thanks Dave. I have the magazine and read it. I completely agree on what the writer suggested. However, I have a BIG issue with paying a premium for a used car that is NOT optioned as I would have envisioned. Yes - I understand that is never ever going to happen as we all have different tastes. Then add on paying close to $60K for something that already has 48K or more miles... that is definitely not worth it (IMO), especially with options that I'm not interested in. Maybe its my OCD or maybe I'm just over thinking the situations but for nearly the same money I could get a 981 Cayman S. ... then again is it really the track car I'm looking for? You can see how I can talk myself into circles but I was hoping others who have been in similar situations would be willing to chime in. In any case I appreciate everyone's input. 2016 will be a great year as I will secure a Porsche
Old 11-14-2015, 04:51 PM
CptSlow
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps not the best comparison for the OP. But in the last five years, my wife and I have had, E92 335i, E92 M3, BMW 135is, 981 Cayman S, 991 911S, and Jaguar F-Type V6S. Still have the Cayman and the Jag, and the 981 is my favorite of all of them. It's literally the only car I've ever said I won't get rid of.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Donnie C
Track Day

w/r to the GTS and R... I think the article was clear in that the R was more "visceral"... and the GTS more of a GT car. I have a CGTS and agree with this assessment.

W.r to GTS vs S... I totally agree that a key is the X73 suspension option...
The GTS offered all the options I wanted in a slightly more unique package. So, yes you can generally configure the S is if it were a GTS, but the GTS offers: the 3rd radiator, alcantara pieces, better front facade. Then you can get the PTV ...to round out the performance parts. The extra 15 HP is nice, but probably difficult to feel.

The overall look of the GTS is just that much more unique, IMO...

No need to fret about a GT4... totally unavailable for unique purchases.
While GTS's have "some" availability they are going quickly in advance of the 981.2 engine switch...

Long shot option -- wait for the 981.2 turbo package, yes - it is a 4 cyl package. There is the chance that the S version will have more punch than the 981.1 option.. or not.. ??
D
Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 PM
p0kerface
4th Gear

me too! I ended up keeping my e46 M because the 981 CS is NOT more of the same. In other words the experience between the two is so different one cannot replace the other. That being said, I also had to decide between the 987 and the 981. I chose the 981 because it's lighter, altho I was comparing 987S to 981S.

Driving the M3 is intuitive, an extension of my hands, feet and butt. I had to get used to the handling & steering of the 981 over time. The best way i can explain driving at the limit is "I am able to turn this hard at this speed because I was able to do it last time." I think about 50% of the tire feel now comes from my ears by listening to the tire screech.

Quick Reply: New versus Old Cayman Driving Feel