Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help selling my Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help selling my Cayman

Through a reputable local dealer in high-end used cars, I'm selling my 2011 Cayman on consignment. Best I can tell, he's doing the right things, getting ads in all the usual places (except eBay, which usually does not seem to actually get completed Cayman sales).

It's not selling, yet it's a mint 2011 PDK car still under warranty. On the down side it doesn't have many bells and whistles (though it has Park Assist, Weathertech floor liners, and after-market passenger heated seat). On the upside, it's still under warranty, it's in perfect shape, we have all the books and maintenance records, and by not having all the bells and whistles (e.g., PASM or Torque Vectoring or $5000 fancier-than-stock radio, etc.), it's going for less than loaded-up cars would go for (asking price $42.5K).

The biggest plus is it's practically brand new: 9,500 miles proveable miles on the clock.

So, any help as to how to sell this car OR why it's not selling? I can't understand why a mint virtually new PDK Cayman asking $15,000 less than a new base model is of no interest to anyone. Over 900 people have looked at the ad here in Rennlist with not even a question back.

The knowledgeable dealer says "it's a car with very little supply and equally little demand. Give it time. The asking price is fair. Don't lower the price yet."

What do y'all think? I paid $43K for it a few months ago, love the car, and am selling it only because the financial planner chewed me out for not getting a new Cayman S (now on order to arrive August 8th--I didn't need lots of convincing when he said we weren't spending enough if we wanted to die broke.)

It's truly a great car. I wouldn't be getting the same thing MY 2015 on steroids if I didn't think so. I'm puzzled. Constructive ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from the past posts.....................................TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old 05-07-2014, 10:08 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by extanker
from the past posts.....................................TROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Wikipedia says:
"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response . . ."

If that's what you mean I'm lost, given that I'm not flaming anyone. If you mean something else I'm equally lost.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Through a reputable local dealer in high-end used cars, I'm selling my 2011 Cayman on consignment. Best I can tell, he's doing the right things, getting ads in all the usual places (except eBay, which usually does not seem to actually get completed Cayman sales).

It's not selling, yet it's a mint 2011 PDK car still under warranty. On the down side it doesn't have many bells and whistles (though it has Park Assist, Weathertech floor liners, and after-market passenger heated seat). On the upside, it's still under warranty, it's in perfect shape, we have all the books and maintenance records, and by not having all the bells and whistles (e.g., PASM or Torque Vectoring or $5000 fancier-than-stock radio, etc.), it's going for less than loaded-up cars would go for (asking price $42.5K).

The biggest plus is it's practically brand new: 9,500 miles proveable miles on the clock.

So, any help as to how to sell this car OR why it's not selling? I can't understand why a mint virtually new PDK Cayman asking $15,000 less than a new base model is of no interest to anyone. Over 900 people have looked at the ad here in Rennlist with not even a question back.

The knowledgeable dealer says "it's a car with very little supply and equally little demand. Give it time. The asking price is fair. Don't lower the price yet."

What do y'all think? I paid $43K for it a few months ago, love the car, and am selling it only because the financial planner chewed me out for not getting a new Cayman S (now on order to arrive August 8th--I didn't need lots of convincing when he said we weren't spending enough if we wanted to die broke.)

It's truly a great car. I wouldn't be getting the same thing MY 2015 on steroids if I didn't think so. I'm puzzled. Constructive ideas, anyone? Thanks in advance.
Generally if a car in good shape doesn't sell it is priced too high. Used car buyers are concerned about just 2 things: price and condition. Or condition and price.

It reads like the condition is ok. So that leaves price that must be turning off buyers.

If you are really worried about dying before you go broke then lower the price of the car. A reasonable discount won't matter much in the long run and the car will sell and you'll be able to focus entirely on your new car. And dying broke.

BTW, while you want to die broke, you sure don't want to go broke before dying. I know from helping my elderly parents just how expensive elderly care can be.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Rennlisters/Enthusiasts typically want the S model and a manual transmission.

With the new 2013+ Cayman body style on the streets, the 2006-2012 Cayman is dated and depreciating as such.

The 2009-2012 PDK cayman has a great market for those looking to scrap them into 3.8L donor race cars... trouble is they only want to pay in the 20's and 30's for them....
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I am in the market for a 987.2 and did see your car in my search over the past few weeks, but quickly discounted it as it was from a dealer, plus the price is way too high for a lightly optioned Cayman.

I pay sales tax (8%) if purchased from a dealer and no sales tax (0%) from a private seller so dealer cars are automatically off the list.

Here's two points of reference about your competition:

1) There is a 2009 PDK very similar to yours (actually 2 grand more in options) with 27,000 miles and a CPO Warranty through 7/2015 that I can buy for $31,000. It's a few more miles and two years older, but it's 11 grand cheaper. If the car was not on the east coast, it would be in my garage.

2) Last month, there was a 2009 CS with 17,000 miles listed on ID Clist for $39,000. It sold quickly at that price and if the color was more to my liking, it might also be in my garage.

Good luck,

Eddie

Last edited by eddielasvegas; 05-08-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
jivemutha
Advanced

Thanks, all. Sounds like time to drop the price. Though great condition helps me some, the emphasis I placed on the very low miles may be less of a plus for potential buyers than it had been in my mind.

The dealer is determined to not drop price for another 10 days--odd given that regardless of the sales price all he gets is $1500. But at that point down we'll go. Also sounds like getting a S (vs base) may be such a plus that buyers are willing to get a significantly older S with more miles rather than a near-new base model. Hm.

I'm learning from y'all. Thanks again. At least I have time as the new 2015 S won't arrive (and therefore needn't be paid for) for 3 more months.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:25 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately I don't think there is a market for a base Cayman. I sold my 08 Cayman S in one day privately. I would put a For Sale ad on the Planet 9 forum. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Machog
Advanced

After looking for months I found a white 2011 Cayman PDK with low miles for $39k in November. Mine has few options, no Nav, PASM, Bose etc. Found it CA and had it shipped to AZ. Because it was a private sale there was no sales tax here in AZ.
Try spreading it around a few key Craigs lists, CA AZ FL TX or eBay when your dealer contract runs out for $39 isn and I'm sure you'll sell it. Do you have it on any other forums? Machog
Old 05-08-2014, 01:53 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Machog
After looking for months I found a white 2011 Cayman PDK with low miles for $39k in November. Mine has few options, no Nav, PASM, Bose etc. Found it CA and had it shipped to AZ. Because it was a private sale there was no sales tax here in AZ.
Try spreading it around a few key Craigs lists, CA AZ FL TX or eBay when your dealer contract runs out for $39 isn and I'm sure you'll sell it. Do you have it on any other forums? Machog
I don't think we're on Planet9 so I should investigate. Do you really think a buyer from as distant as the states you mention would buy a car all the way in Portland? I don't know how these things work, though I wouldn't have bought a car I hadn't driven. That said, the guy that bought my previous car (mint 20-year-old MR2 Turbo) flew in from Utah to buy the car. I was shocked.

If the buyer turns out to be a local Oregonian, there's one plus: ain't no sales tax in Oregon. Zero. On anything.

OK--next steps are Planet 9, lower price, and await to hear what y'all have to say about the value of placing an OUT OF STATE craigslist ads. (The car is on the local craigslist.) Thanks again, everyone. You're giving me a free education.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comes down to price vs options.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Whyteone
Track Day

Price is too high...I'm looking at a 2010 Cayman S with less miles, more options, and certified for only a few thousand more.

And fyi, location doesn't matter as I would by a plane ticket for a few hundred to save a few thousand.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
jivemutha
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whyteone
Price is too high...I'm looking at a 2010 Cayman S with less miles, more options, and certified for only a few thousand more.

And fyi, location doesn't matter as I would by a plane ticket for a few hundred to save a few thousand.
You're right. I've just left a message with the dealer to call me back so we can lower the asking price on my 2011 Cayman.

Good luck in your hunt for the 2010 CS. You are looking for fewer miles, but I'm curious, how much lower mileage than 9,500 do you expect to find in a 2010 car--even a Porsche (often not used as a daily driver)?

Finding more optional equipment than on my 2011 should be very easy, but of course you'll have to pay some for those options. I'm guessing the eventual buyer of my car will be someone focused primarily on getting a mint near-new car with hardly any miles rather than on further options. (That's what attracted me to the car in the first place--getting essentially a $56,000 car for way less.)

There's a car out there for everyone. We're all a little different Again, good luck in your hunt!
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you already got where I would suggest: I don't pay near-new prices for not-new cars.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Whyteone
Track Day

Originally Posted by jivemutha
Good luck in your hunt for the 2010 CS. You are looking for fewer miles, but I'm curious, how much lower mileage than 9,500 do you expect to find in a 2010 car--even a Porsche (often not used as a daily driver)?
The one I'm looking at has 7400 miles. And honestly, with the CPO I'm not worried about mileage at all...I'd rather find one with more miles to reduce the price. Heck there are even a few 2014's that are already down to the $49k asking price.

Quick Reply: Need help selling my Cayman