Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a suspension sensor give wrong data without giving error?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can a suspension sensor give wrong data without giving error?

Hi folks,

Just a thing I'm wondering about,

I've been having this feeling for a year (backed up by occasional measurements) that my car is not always standing straight, ie. front right corner lower than opposite side etc. (Which may or may not contribute to the vehicle pulling right)

In the past few days I've been getting a "Suspension System Faulty" warning on the dash, once during startup and today while I was driving (it came on and disappeared everytime I hit a bump). Pulled the codes and got a "Left rear air suspension sensor" code (left rear is diagonally from the front right).

So I'm going to change that, but what are the odds that the sensor could have been giving 'wrong' info to the vehicle, without giving a code, for a longer time already? It's a scissor type sensor, so it does have moving parts in it.

-08 CTT
Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

It's entirely possible - and unless it was presenting readings that were out of the expected range - there would be no reason for the suspension control module to error out on it. And right front corner sitting lower could certain cause the vehicle to pull to one side.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM
porches
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably just needs to be calibrated, I see it all the time. I believe we charge about an hours worth of labor to fix that here, I'm sure they'd try to add on an alignment as well. See if you can get eyes on your sensors, check the connecting rods and make sure they're properly plugged in.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:58 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by porches
Probably just needs to be calibrated, I see it all the time. I believe we charge about an hours worth of labor to fix that here, I'm sure they'd try to add on an alignment as well. See if you can get eyes on your sensors, check the connecting rods and make sure they're properly plugged in.
Thanks, but I believe it's not a calibration issue as the car has been calibrated twice this year by Porsche.

We took the sensor off yesterday and cleaned it - big mistake, now the "Chassis system faulty" is on all the time. We looked at the sensor signals with the diagnostics computer and the sensor is totally dead, gives no value anymore. The other sensors gave a normal signal. All connections were tight and good.

I put the car in the garage now for the coming week to not stress the compressor, while waiting for the spare part to come.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Torre
Racer

Case solved, changed the sensor - error was still there. Then we dag a bit deeper and found indeed damage on the wireing. Returned the sensor to Porsche. End of story.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:35 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Torre
Case solved, changed the sensor - error was still there. Then we dag a bit deeper and found indeed damage on the wireing. Returned the sensor to Porsche. End of story.
THANKS much for putting the "ending of the story" up here. It makes the thread much more valuable if someone else experiences the same sort of problem.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm very surprised that the dealer took back the part. Generally, there are no returns on electrical components. Glad you fixed your problem!
Old 01-31-2017, 07:04 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by Andy E.
I'm very surprised that the dealer took back the part. Generally, there are no returns on electrical components. Glad you fixed your problem!
I was surprised as well. Just decided to give them a call and they did not seem to have an issue with it.

Quick Reply: Can a suspension sensor give wrong data without giving error?