Sponsored By:

958 -- Miles vs Age vs Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 958 -- Miles vs Age vs Options

I'm a pretty new member here and I'm trying to evaluate potential cars for purchase. I am set on a 958, though I am not sure if I should try for an S, GTS, or TT.

In looking at cars in my price range (roughly $52k or less, with less being preferential), I think I can get 2013 S's that have a bit of warranty left, higher mileage GTS's that are off warranty, and 2011 TTs that are off warranty. I guess I need to drive them all but some of the candidates locally are multiple hours away and I want to narrow the search a bit if I can.

I haven't driven any cars yet, but in my head I don't know if I necessarily need a TT. That said, I do like the fact that they all seem to have PDCC and other nice options. If I go TT, my budget limits me to a 2011 or so. Within that model year I see some that are relatively low miles (35k) at my upper price range, and some with higher miles (60k) that are less expensive. Is there a benefit to lower miles on these cars, or does it no longer matter at the 6 year old mark?

As always, appreciate any insights.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:59 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Hey Joel,

So it looks like you've been looking for a Cayenne since June 2012 when you first joined RL. I'm guessing that your search 4 yrs ago did not result in a purchase. And I also see that your post "Take a look at these Cayenne's for me" resulted in a lot of folks giving their opinions on various options, value trade-offs, and gotcha's/watch-outs. Hopefully all of that helped, since it appears you have deleted the CD from your wish list.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...es-for-me.html

I also saw in the other thread that you were going to test drive several Cayenne's last week. Guess that didn't happen. Bummer,... because YOU NEED TO. The test drive, & playing with all the buttons / options, will help you SOOO much more in identifying what you like & want. Go out there & get your first impression!!

I say that because you're asking a lot of good questions in this thread, but what you have not given any of us,... is what you plan to use the Cayenne FOR. What do you value most?

Will this be a DD with a few limited spirit drives thrown in?

Will you need the tow hitch because you plan on throwing bikes on the hitch & gear in the back hatch?

Will anyone else in your family be driving this, or is it just you?

Which do you value more? - Looks (such as GTS aero pkg, w/ A/S so you can lower it),... or Interior comfort features? ... or Performance (GTS/TT w/ PDCC & exhaust PSE type thing)??

Do you have a interest in autocrossing it? (you mentioned PDCC, which Btw, is not in "all" of them out there, and can be hard to find)

And most importantly, what are your list of MUST-HAVE options, and those NICE-TO-HAVE but could live without.

Without some indication of what you value,... what you want,... what you will use it for,... all this talk of mileage, age, & options, doesn't seem like it will give you what you really need. And thus it is tough for us to give you recommendations that would actually mean something to you.

With regard to your question on warranty (on/off) & mileage (high/low),... your best bet is a CPO.

There are a LOT of good Cayenne owners here, with a LOT of experience,... but without details on your usage, most replies you will get are generality comparisons, and what THEY like in their Cayenne's.

What can YOU live WITH, verses WITHOUT?

All that being said,.. my uninformed opinion at this point, is that with your target $50k price point (I saw you increased it from your prior $40k) in a 958.1, you would probably get the most bang for your buck in a GTS.

Tell us more,... and we'll tell you more....
=Steve
Old 02-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Thanks Steve. I did not end up buying a few years ago as a divorce made me decide to defer any major purchases.

My main usage for any eventual Cayenne is as a daily driver with some spirited drives thrown in. For that reason, based on what I'm reading here it seems like PDCC and air are probably closer to must haves than nice to haves. While the S pales in comparison to the TT, the S is still no slouch for a heavy SUV and I think I could live with it as long as it does not feel like a truck when I drive.

It is possible I'd occasionally tow, but that would not be a major draw and presence or lack of a hitch is not a major factor as I think I can get one installed should I need one.

Ultimately however, you're right: I do simply need to get out and drive all of these examples so I can ask better questions.

In terms of CPO, based on the Porsche website there are only S's available for $50k or less. If I decide to go that direction I'd definitely consider a CPO.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:37 PM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

As Steve said, driving them is key....and considering your options....when we bought my wife's 2012 CS in 2014, we started with the CD, and she didn't feel it had enough "oomph"....the base cayenne was dropped from her list in the first mile of driving it....we then drove a turbo and a CS....although the turbo was incredible, we bought the S because it had the options she wanted, and definitely had more than enough power....at a more reasonable price point...she enjoys a "spirited" drive, and definitely appreciates the adaptive suspension (non-air)....we liked the CS so much we actually bought a 2011 to replace my old SUV last year....but definitely get some seat time...it makes all the difference....btw....both CS are averaging ~19MPG mixed driving, and we regularly see ~22-23mpg on long highway trips averaging 75MPH+
Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel 67
In terms of CPO, based on the Porsche website there are only S's available for $50k or less. If I decide to go that direction I'd definitely consider a CPO.
You don't mention where you're located - but - Porsche of Monmouth (Eatontown NJ) has a 50,000 mile turbo, with CPO from the 2nd owner - good for about 18 months - for $49,900. Not a bad deal at all.

I bought a 2011 Turbo with 57,000 miles - no warranty - this week for a bit less money from a dealer in high-end used cars (he has a row of about 15-20 911's of all vintages in his warehouse) all minty cars. He offered about $13,000 more on trade-in (of two cars, my '06 Cayenne Tit/S, and an '01 BMW M-Coupe) then the Porsche dealer was willing to go. $13,000 was worth more to me then the extended warranty. And the car is minty and has full service records.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You don't mention where you're located - but - Porsche of Monmouth (Eatontown NJ) has a 50,000 mile turbo, with CPO from the 2nd owner - good for about 18 months - for $49,900. Not a bad deal at all.
Thanks for that lead Don. I'm in the greater Chicago area but a CPO at that price seems like it is worth traveling for.

This weekend I've driven the S mentioned in my previous thread and a 2013 GTS. Of the two, the GTS is certainly the better looking car and that throaty exhaust is pretty intoxicating, but the S was still a very clean car and super well equipped. I could settle for an S but it'd need to have PDCC. Hoping to drive a CT later this week to round out my experience.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:13 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

I test drove a GTS before I ordered my 2014 CS. The test drive prompted me to order PSE on my CS, which took care of the throaty sound, and I did option the black trim and black tail lights, so I sometimes think of my CS as a GTS "lite". PSE can be added, as well as the tail lights. I personally preferred the transmission/differential final drive ratio of the CS (slightly lower rpm at any particular speed). Probably used in the GTS because the higher horsepower is achieved at top RPM, which by itself wouldn't generally help low speed acceleration unless you wind it out. In fact, IIRC, low end torque may be a little bit better in the CS engine, but I'm not absolutely positive about this.

I am probably the only person on this planet who is not a fan of large wheels, such as the standard wheels on the GTS. 18" wheels were actually an option on the GTS, but I doubt that anyone ordered one with 18's. In any event, if you go with the GTS, pay close attention to the tires; origin equipment was summer tires, and that just won't do during a Chicago winter.

Good luck, Mike
Old 02-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Smooth
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice on here.

I have a '12 Cayenne S with the PSE. As noted, you'll either need winter tires/rims or all-season tires for a daily driver in Chicago area (I'm in Detroit). I opted for 21" Turbo II wheels with summer tires and 19" cayenne S wheels with winter tires. I'll swap them out each season. However, that'll add an extra $2500 to your purchase price.

If you opt for a CS, I would recommend the PSE if you like the "throaty" sound.

Quick Reply: 958 -- Miles vs Age vs Options