Front End Clunk normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cold tire scrub

Originally Posted by igorxxx
I have had my 2014 Cayman S for six months and I think it is **** poor engineering the way the front wheel have to scrub along in a short turn to catch up with the rear. They say it is because the wheel base is so short. It is disappointing to me that they would put out a car with such an aggravating mistake. Porsche should be ashamed.
Everybody is entitled to his opinion, but having owned other Porshce's and Audis with the same problem occurs when summer compound tires get cold, like when it is in the 40's. You should fit winter compound tires if temperatures where you are are 40 degrees of below. Obviously, the least of your problems running summer compound tires in the winter will be cold tire scrub when parking. Also, if you believe that Porsche engineering is so poor, get another make.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:58 PM
igorxxx
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if the same thing happens in the summer when it is hot?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Have you had a Porsche technician check it?

Originally Posted by igorxxx
What if the same thing happens in the summer when it is hot?
My 2015 991 TTS did scrub summer tires in warm weather when making tight turns in a parking situation, which I attributed to the suspension geometry and tire width that are designed to be optimal in normal driving situations on the road, not when making tight turns at low speed. if the service techs at your dealer found no problem then perhaps you should get a different manufacturer if low speed tire scrub bothers you.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:49 PM
igorxxx
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

I agree. I will make an effort to get rid of this one. If you hear of anyone that wants a 2014 White Cayman S. Service just finished 20K miles let me know. In NC
Am willing to trade for a MB SL 550.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 PM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AndrewP
My 2015 991 TTS did scrub summer tires in warm weather when making tight turns in a parking situation, which I attributed to the suspension geometry and tire width that are designed to be optimal in normal driving situations on the road, not when making tight turns at low speed. if the service techs at your dealer found no problem then perhaps you should get a different manufacturer if low speed tire scrub bothers you.
I agree with the scrub explanation, I am absolutely amazed how some people can turn opinion into "fact" and act on that supposed "fact". My car has does this repeatedly when I exit my garage because of the tight turn that I make. More pronounced in the colder days but no evidence anywhere of excessive wear or looseness as determined by a Porsche expert.

Quick Reply: Front End Clunk normal?