Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2017 Porsche Panamera 4S, 4S Diesel, and Turbo Review and Test Drive - Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:56 PM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 Porsche Panamera 4S, 4S Diesel, and Turbo Review and Test Drive - Video

2017 Porsche Panamera 4S, 4S Diesel, and Turbo Review and Test Drive

Old 08-24-2016, 08:34 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

awesome car! They get better looking as they go on. Just wonder who will repair these things 10 years from now and at what cost? Technology is over the top.
I guess they are made for high end buyers who will own them new for a few years then trade up. The lease lives on! (got to believe that is their plan). Thanks for sharing the vid.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:40 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very big leap forward with the '17 Panamera in every respect. The changes are of the same design and dynamic magnitude as those from the 997 to the 991. Amazing how Porsche can keep making major improvements in design and performance of new models, yet maintain the classic DNA. The pace of change seems to have increased. I read that the current Panamera air suspension and dynamic control code has 2 million lines and the new Panamera's systems have 100 million lines of code.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:02 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Very big leap forward with the '17 Panamera in every respect. The changes are of the same design and dynamic magnitude as those from the 997 to the 991. Amazing how Porsche can keep making major improvements in design and performance of new models, yet maintain the classic DNA. The pace of change seems to have increased. I read that the current Panamera air suspension and dynamic control code has 2 million lines and the new Panamera's systems have 100 million lines of code.
It will quite a challenge to find and fix the bugs in 100 million lines of code.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:12 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
It will quite a challenge to find and fix the bugs in 100 million lines of code.
Yeah, that sounded more like a warning than a feature.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbomark
awesome car! They get better looking as they go on. Just wonder who will repair these things 10 years from now and at what cost? Technology is over the top.
I guess they are made for high end buyers who will own them new for a few years then trade up. The lease lives on! (got to believe that is their plan). Thanks for sharing the vid.
That's not as scary as it seems. The most expensive part of repairs now is labor, and all these hi-tech gizmos are made to be replaced rather than repaired, which seems optimal given labor costs (case in point, replacing leaking vacuum pump on my cayenne was 3/4 labor 1/4 parts). Also, electric/electronic parts often self-diagnose, making repairs quicker and thus cheaper. And it does not take a genius to plug a wire to a diagnostic port and then follow the replacement protocol.

A whole different issue is software bugs. The more tech they bring the more our cars will resemble a glitchy laptop.

Quick Reply: 2017 Porsche Panamera 4S, 4S Diesel, and Turbo Review and Test Drive - Video