Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

California front license plate blues (drill front bumper?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:12 AM
rennlistfan
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default California front license plate blues (drill front bumper?)

I relocated to California from a state that doesn't have front license plate. Is there any creative way to mount the front plate on the Pana that doesn't require drilling the front bumper? I saw the aftermarket tow hook mounting system but think it's fugly to mount the plate off center. Any suggestion?

How much should I expect to pay if I have to go to a dealer to get the bumper drilled?

If I want to drill the holes myself, do I need to worry about drilling into anything that is placed right behind the bumper?

Thanks!

Last edited by rennlistfan; 09-04-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Wait until you get stopped for it. I haven't had a front plate on my cars for the 36 years I've lived in California and never got stopped for not having it. Even when I was stopped for other reasons not having the front plate never came up.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:58 PM
smith123
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, Here most of the time a car is stopped for speeding by radar, fine is applied according front license plate number,
no front license plate number means cops have to monitor the traffic from back! by which no car can be stopped because cops are visible on rear view mirror!
so how drivers are fined in California?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in a state and work in a city that offers tickets for no front plate. On both my 997.1 TT and my 2012 Panny 4S, I have a device that goes into the tow slot for the front license plate. No holes in the front of the car and satisfy the local revenue enhancement authorities.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
Wait until you get stopped for it. I haven't had a front plate on my cars for the 36 years I've lived in California and never got stopped for not having it. Even when I was stopped for other reasons not having the front plate never came up.
I owned a car for about 6 or 7 years, in Los Angeles, that I never put the front OR the rear plate on. Never was stopped once, never a ticket for it.

When you buy a new car here, they mail the plates to you, generally in a month or so. Even if it's a used car, they still need to send the registration sticker. So, the dealer usually puts a plastic advertising sign in the plate holder. I just left that advert in for the entire 6 or 7 years that I owned the car. I guess the cops always just assumed it was a new car.

That being said, having no plate gives the coppers a reason to pull you over just because they feel like it.

Hey, you might take a look at that plate holder that mounts on the front tow hook. Not sure what models of Porsche that will fit, though.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
That being said, having no plate gives the coppers a reason to pull you over just because they feel like it.
The way I drive, they always have a better reason to pull me over than for not having a front plate. But that rarely happens and requires effort that I guess they figure is better spent elsewhere. Even with the speeding ticket I got last year and the 14 MPH over the speed limit warning stop I recently got, no mention was made of the lack of a front plate.

A couple years ago I got a fix-it ticket for not having a current registration sticker on my plate. I had paid the registration but still needed to get smogged so I didn't get the sticker. I had to go to a CHP office for them to see that I put the current year sticker on my plate and they only looked at the rear plate and didn't even notice there was no front one.

Only one time did I ever hear anything about not having a front plate and that was when I encountered a San Francisco cop giving me a parking ticket. He told me I was supposed to have a front plate and walked away without doing anything about it. I didn't either.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:25 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Panaseeya
I owned a car for about 6 or 7 years, in Los Angeles, that I never put the front OR the rear plate on. Never was stopped once, never a ticket for it.

When you buy a new car here, they mail the plates to you, generally in a month or so. Even if it's a used car, they still need to send the registration sticker. So, the dealer usually puts a plastic advertising sign in the plate holder. I just left that advert in for the entire 6 or 7 years that I owned the car. I guess the cops always just assumed it was a new car.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:52 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rennlistfan
I relocated to California from a state that doesn't have front license plate. Is there any creative way to mount the front plate on the Pana that doesn't require drilling the front bumper? I saw the aftermarket tow hook mounting system but think it's fugly to mount the plate off center. Any suggestion?

How much should I expect to pay if I have to go to a dealer to get the bumper drilled?

If I want to drill the holes myself, do I need to worry about drilling into anything that is placed right behind the bumper?

Thanks!
There are what is called hidden license plate kits available. Just Google it and you'll see several different options. Good luck.

Jim

Quick Reply: California front license plate blues (drill front bumper?)