Notices

anyone like Audi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default anyone like Audi?

Never owned one but about to pick wifey up a Q7..... we were considering a Toyota Landcruiser but just to big for her. (we have one in the past)

That said LOVE the reliability of the Toyota and will I see anything close with a Q7 as really want something that will hold up long term if possible....

Thanks, any comments on an audi Q7 would be great..... hoping reliable and not prone to head aches....
Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

We have an A6 and VW Touareg. I do love Audi. Cayenne, Touareg and Q7 are all the same with different engines. It will not be as reliable as a Toyota, and can be costly when out of warranty. These vehicles are hard on tires and brakes(discs and pads and lots of dust). They ride great. Be sure to lubricate the carrier bearing on the driveshaft as they fail after about 70k miles if not.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:44 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The wife drives a 2010 Q5 3.2 Prestige. She loves it. Have 65k on it and have had no issues so far. I would have preferred a Q7 (we came off of an XC90) but she wanted something a bit smaller this time. The Volvo was better in the snow and the ride was better. The fit and finish of the Audi is much better.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I think the Q7 recently got recognized as one of the more reliable Audis of this millenium.

They are nice cars. Apparently sunroof drains can be a problem. Make sure to clean them, and keep them clean.

What engine? 3.6 V6, 4.2 V8, 3.0TDI or 3.0T? I don't know if they all have the Cayenne brakes, but those are good.

If you get a 4.2 V8 ask if it's had a carbon cleaning.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Be sure to lubricate the carrier bearing on the driveshaft as they fail after about 70k miles if not.
Can you elaborate? Is there just one in the middle? Is it reasonable to DIY?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:38 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Wife has the Audi q7 4.2 with captain chairs in second row, very nice for passengers. She loves it, calls it her truck, I call it the tank next to the 550 and the gt3.

I cleaned the carbon off the valves this winter and replaced a weak injector. She said it felt like a new car. Says she'll keep it for at least a few more years. Also replaced the amplifier earlier this year, no leak just went out. 5k ( amplifier replacement was 3k) in repairs over 6 years, not bad in my eyes.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:53 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

would you really recommend a Q7 over a tourag which we know is the same vehicle but less sparkly?
big price difference to get in.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

My wife had a Q5 for four years and loved it. She got a SQ5 about a year ago & it's even better. We have had no issues and Audi is a great company to deal with. Really takes care of the customer.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:39 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

No
Old 03-15-2015, 01:44 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Auto start

Strange. Audi won't install remote start on a q7. That's ridiculous ,,,, would possibly void warranty?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:58 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
would you really recommend a Q7 over a tourag which we know is the same vehicle but less sparkly?
big price difference to get in.
True, but the Q7 is bigger inside (and outside, too!).

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Strange. Audi won't install remote start on a q7. That's ridiculous ,,,, would possibly void warranty?
I'm told it is not factory offered because remote-start is illegal in Germany.

But why they didn't add it for the U.S. market, IDK. Especially since I'd bet their biggest market for the Q7 is North America.

And yes, an aftermarket installation would probably void warranty of any related components. I'm not sure what the 'related components' would be though!
Old 04-23-2015, 02:28 PM
rjpeaks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would personally drive the new Landcruiser...

in case you did not know OP, there will be a new Q7 coming. kinda looks like a big upright avant.

SQ7 would be interesting.

things to consider - kids? worried about reliability - how long will you have he car? in the snow alot?

good luck
Old 05-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Other_Erik
8th Gear

Can't comment directly on the Q7 since I don't have one, buuuuuuut...

Audi in general are as reliable as their mechanic. I daily drive a 2003 RS6 (now with 134k miles) and the wife drives an '05 A6 with 190k miles on the clock. The A6 has been rock-solid with minor issues that crop up here and there - mostly wear and tear items, but a few known common issues with its' 3.123L motor.

As for Audi warranty - from what I've found, it's not worth the paper it's printed on. Audi will try to find any reason to void void void your warranty. Missed a recommended service by 50 miles? Void. Had your oil changed at an independent shop, and they didn't use the Audi-branded 10w30 (at $35/qt)? Void. That Seat Cupra R Lip you had glassed into the front bumper? Voids your 12-year corrosion warranty for the ENTIRE car.

I'm not sure if mods will ding me for saying the name of the warranty company that I've had good luck dealing with, but they can feel free to PM me to edit my post, or to direct edit to remove the company name: Fidelity . I made the best financial return decision of my life getting an extended warranty through them on the RS6, covered 4 years/48k miles from end of Audi's extended worthless warranty. $4k invested netted me back $11k for transmission and torque converter plus labor, $8k for miscellaneous seal failure on the engine (rear main, valve covers), and has so far replaced CV joints 5 times (what would've been ~$700 per). Not looking forward to the end of this year when I'll have to start picking up the high-ticket items on my own.

All that said, just do your research on whichever Q7 you want, and especially on the particular engine you're looking at. Some are dead reliable (4.2TT in the RS6 - so long as timing belt services are done on time, it'll never have an issue), while others should've been scrapped at the drawing board (3.0NA from 98-2004, I'm looking at you)

O_E
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Other_Erik
(3.0NA from 98-2004, I'm looking at you)
The "three point slow" was only offered from 02-05 AFAIK (A4 and A6). Apparently the 30V 2.8 it replaced was better.

I didn't know the 4.2TT is so reliable! Hard to tell, since most RS6s have low(er) mileage.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:29 PM
Other_Erik
8th Gear

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
The "three point slow" was only offered from 02-05 AFAIK (A4 and A6). Apparently the 30V 2.8 it replaced was better.

I didn't know the 4.2TT is so reliable! Hard to tell, since most RS6s have low(er) mileage.
Hmm I thought the 3.0 was on a wider range than that. Definitely something to avoid. The 4.2TT is a Cosworth original, only design flaw was the comparatively tiny engine bay that Audi crammed it into. No room for a battery, or tools, or much of anything really. On the unnamed RS6 forum, we have a few members whose rides have 200k+ miles, one close to 300k. The real weak point of the RS6 is the transmission and torque converter.

O_E
Old 07-10-2015, 02:14 AM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a really cool 4.2 S5 that I absolutely love. Never given me any problems and sounds amazing. Being a Porsche man, my complaint is on the track...drives like a wide body, too much oversteer. But then again, that's why I have my Porsches.

Great brand overall.

Quick Reply: anyone like Audi?