Sponsored by: APR

Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:16 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
I believe in the AP interview from EVO on YouTube AP says the GT4 wheels are forged (GT4 release video)
Yes he does, but he was incorrect.
In addition to what was written in the linked thread, BBS marks their wheels Forged if so.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
I've thought the same thing. Always scratched my head when my fellow E90/92 M3 drivers would run cheap Chinese-made Apex wheels on track.
Speaking of your E9X crew....what's up ole' man I would say Apex wheels had and still have a great following. And at their rate of sale, problems seemed to be very minimal. Now if you want to talk price and junk together...ADV is your topic. Also wanted to drop this off for another wheel manufacturing prospective........Phil

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...38&postcount=1
Old 03-25-2017, 02:45 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M Ryder
Speaking of your E9X crew....what's up ole' man I would say Apex wheels had and still have a great following. And at their rate of sale, problems seemed to be very minimal. Now if you want to talk price and junk together...ADV is your topic. Also wanted to drop this off for another wheel manufacturing prospective........Phil

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...38&postcount=1
Man, I also do have a 1M and my brother have E92 M3 .. he is running Apex since 2 years, he have abused them in bahrain more than I did with my GT4, they are still perfect, thats why I am going to have Apex for my 1M

please guys lets not change the topic .. We need an answer about my Mystery
Old 03-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ASM_GT4
Man, I also do have a 1M and my brother have E92 M3 .. he is running Apex since 2 years, he have abused them in bahrain more than I did with my GT4, they are still perfect, thats why I am going to have Apex for my 1M

please guys lets not change the topic .. We need an answer about my Mystery
I think this group has given you all the info you could ask for. Not too sure you're going to get anything definitive without the wheel manufacturer having your wheel in hand. We're all guessing and speculating from a far. Best course of action is to contact Porsche and try to explain some of the info you have gathered from this thread. If that's not successful you'll be dropping coin on a wheel. Hope you get this sorted soon...........Phil
Old 03-26-2017, 04:00 AM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my friends was in yesterday's Nurburgring VLN Race .. He have asked PORSCHE test drivers .. read his message below:

I'm speechless now ! .. is that acceptable from PORSCHE ? should I respect their Warranty anymore ???

May I have your opinions guys regarding a reliable contact in PORSCHE? detail may be sent in a private message.

Last edited by ASM_GT4; 03-26-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Porsche has evaded warranty claims on cars that had been tracked before.
If it was posted in the club track day article that you were present with your P car, the dealers were known to scour them for reasons to deny warranty claims. Any claim

Last edited by Perimeter; 04-23-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:01 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Porsche has evaded warranty claims on cars that had been tracked before.
If it was posted in the club track day article that you were present with your P car, the dealers were know to scour them for reasons to deny warranty claims. Any claim
OK, I got used to "mooty" engrish but that comment escapes me. Care to punctuation, rephrase, link, etc.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Alan C.; 03-26-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by aryork
I agree, even if the distance between dimples matched the distance on the ground between tops of individual curbs, seems non-intuitive it could happen. But, often times our intuition is not right when it involves high energy and high speed events that we don't encounter on a day-to-day basis.

I am leaning on the theory there was some initial defect, like OP says, which then caused the cylinder shape to be more vulnerable to mechanical buckling. Google "buckling modes of cylinder" and choose images and check those out. Here is an example:

Old 04-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

3 bar is almost 45psi, does anyone track at those pressures?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,062 Likes on 548 Posts

If you use a set of point mics to measure the thickness in the defect area you might find a deviation. The rims are pretty thin. That coupled with an initial shock when seating the bead may have caused localized thinning. I have a photo of a GT4 wheel that hit a curb breaking all of the spokes and leaving a hole in the barrel.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:12 AM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the heat radiating from the rotors may also have something to do with it
Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
I think the heat radiating from the rotors may also have something to do with it
Good point
Old 04-23-2017, 03:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
If that were the case, all of the wheels on my cars would have been jacked up a loooong time ago. It's not heat from the rotors
Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 136 Posts

Got into this late but here are some thoughts;
1. Are you sure your request actually went to Germany, did you get a copy of Germany's response or just the dealer's paraphrase.
2. Porsche customer service has always been good but you need to re-file your claim directly to Porsche.
3. The GT4 is a trackable street car not a race car. With your admitted almost all track use, there is some responsibility to assure, tires/wheels/ brakes/etc. are up to the stresses.
4. Had you purchased an RSR from the factory (I have) there is absolutely no warranty. Your on your own.
5. Many track day enthusiasts buy track specific wheels and tires while saving OEM's for the street.

Now, having said all that I again suggest you put forth your issue yourself directly to Porsche. Your owners manual provides such contact information. Do not put your chances of a positive resolution in an intermediary. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]