Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 05:08 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
I saw the poor wounded GT4 when he limped back to the paddock, from talking to the driver it was a momentary lapse of attention/precision where he was trying to accommodate / making room for a driver passing on the left.
Does anyone have pictures of the front wheel and tire on any of these cars posted in this thread with the shock tower fracture?
Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Does anyone have pictures of the front wheel and tire on any of these cars posted in this thread with the shock tower fracture?
More pics of the GT3..

Name:  Screenshot_2016-08-12-15-39-48_zpsl8ruat6q.png
Views: 11778
Size:  870.4 KB
Name:  Screenshot_2016-08-12-15-39-56_zpsi26ifal1.png
Views: 10655
Size:  905.2 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2016-08-12-15-40-25_zpsgyajklvu.png
Views: 10502
Size:  844.9 KB
Old 08-12-2016, 06:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Have seen one pic of the wheel from TH, and while the rim was dented, I've seen people end up with bigger rim dents from curbing a wheel in SF while parking. It was pretty small. No idea what the metallurgy of the wheel looks like post-hit, but I was shocked by how little apparent damage there was—to the outer rim, anyway. The tire, if it's the same MPSC2 that was on there at the time of impact, looked fine and appeared to be holding air.

A pic of one of these failures draws my attention, for so many of the reasons stated here. Now seeing pics/stories of 2-3 more similar incidents (and I feel like I've seen another not shown here) leaves me wondering if a steel insert retrofit wouldn't be a good idea. I can see losing a suspension piece or pieces and/or a wheel and tire to a hard impact, but to lose a hood and/or see the car totaled has me wondering about the wisdom of cast aluminum for an upper strut mount. It would be very interesting to get a suspension engineer's take on this...
Old 08-12-2016, 06:04 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Interesting. Judging from the wheel damage this wasn't just a straight drop but had a severe side component as well.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

What are the people that are racing the GT4 doing if anything to reinforce the strut towers?
Is the club sport strut tower any different? you would think there would be failures from jumping curbs on track?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Have seen one pic of the wheel from TH, and while the rim was dented, I've seen people end up with bigger rim dents from curbing a wheel in SF while parking. It was pretty small. No idea what the metallurgy of the wheel looks like post-hit, but I was shocked by how little apparent damage there was—to the outer rim, anyway. The tire, if it's the same MPSC2 that was on there at the time of impact, looked fine and appeared to be holding air.

A pic of one of these failures draws my attention, for so many of the reasons stated here. Now seeing pics/stories of 2-3 more similar incidents (and I feel like I've seen another not shown here) leaves me wondering if a steel insert retrofit wouldn't be a good idea. I can see losing a suspension piece or pieces and/or a wheel and tire to a hard impact, but to lose a hood and/or see the car totaled has me wondering about the wisdom of cast aluminum for an upper strut mount. It would be very interesting to get a suspension engineer's take on this...
Pete that is exactly what I was thinking too. Not only could failure lead to totaling the car but another scenario would be a crack which doesn't lead to full failure immediately but happens at another time, on the highway or on a winding mountain road. Those are life threatening and something that warrants further investigation to find a solution weather by Porsche or the aftermarket.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:47 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by electron mike
More pics of the GT3..
Thanks for those pics. Was the hood of the car damaged by the shock tower and did they repair the car?
Old 08-13-2016, 03:50 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Thanks for those pics. Was the hood of the car damaged by the shock tower and did they repair the car?
Yep the hood was damaged and they fixed the entire car. Back and side had damage as well. Sold it for MSRP too!
Old 08-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by electron mike
Yep the hood was damaged and they fixed the entire car. Back and side had damage as well. Sold it for MSRP too!
Do they weld in a new strut tower?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:51 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
I want to know also. There are some clues how this would be repaired in section 5 of the document in this post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9483...l#post13519004

They most likely de-riveted the remaining parts of the original shock tower, and used air chisels to bust apart the adhesive bonding between what was left of the aluminum casting and the aluminum metal stampings, and used the 2-part adhesive (described in the linked document) and rivets to reinstall the new shock tower. There's a thick layer of rubberized undercoating on the underside of these parts and on the metal parts of the wheel well, so you have to deal with that also, and apply it back at the end.

From the document:

Riveting
Objective
Rivets are used in all areas on which two-component body adhesive is also used. The
objective is not just to join the components, but to prevent any possible peel stress
at the adhesive bond.
Function
In contrast to the thermal joining techniques, rivets can be used to join the different
materials in the bodyshell of the 981) models. The high-strength blind rivets used for
repairs replace the clinch joints and punch riveting used during production.

Bonding
Objective
In addition to mechanical joining techniques, such as punch riveted, clinched and flow drill
screw connections, and thermal techniques, such as resistance spot welds, adhesive
bonding using Sikapower 498 and Elastosol M83 is also used in defined areas. However,
these adhesives are dependent on temperature to attain their final strength. Since this is
not an option during servicing, the two-component body adhesive Betamate 2096, which
was also used on the 911, Boxster and Cayman models, is used here. This adhesive
attains its final strength through internal chemical processes.
Function
The body adhesives increase the strength of the connection. Adhesive beads are also
used at other locations on the body for sealing, electrochemical insulation and noise
reduction.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:34 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Porsche was very specific on how it must be fixed, especially considering it was new, AND a GT car likely to see high loads on the track.

That said, they mandated humpty dumpty had to be put back together using the same methods as the factory, so larger pieces were replaced and reassembled. Beyond that, I don't have more details other than visually the repairs were very well done and looked factory fresh.

I wasn't comfortable paying MSRP for a crashed car, nor tracking it after the extensive repairs, but Porsche was confident selling it with full warranty.

They sold the car at MSRP with full disclosure, which speaks to the quality of the repairs.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:44 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

I want to know also. There are some clues how this would be repaired in section 5 of the document in this post:

They most likely de-riveted the remaining parts of the original shock tower, and used air chisels to bust apart the adhesive bonding between what was left of the aluminum casting and the aluminum metal stampings, and used the 2-part adhesive (described in the linked document) and rivets to reinstall the new shock tower. There's a thick layer of rubberized undercoating on the underside of these parts and on the metal parts of the wheel well, so you have to deal with that also, and apply it back at the end.

From the document:

Riveting
Objective
Rivets are used in all areas on which two-component body adhesive is also used. The
objective is not just to join the components, but to prevent any possible peel stress
at the adhesive bond.
Function
In contrast to the thermal joining techniques, rivets can be used to join the different
materials in the bodyshell of the 981) models. The high-strength blind rivets used for

Bonding
Objective
In addition to mechanical joining techniques, such as punch riveted, clinched and flow drill
screw connections, and thermal techniques, such as resistance spot welds, adhesive
bonding using Sikapower 498 and Elastosol M83 is also used in defined areas. However,
these adhesives are dependent on temperature to attain their final strength. Since this is
not an option during servicing, the two-component body adhesive Betamate 2096, which
was also used on the 911, Boxster and Cayman models, is used here. This adhesive
Function
The body adhesives increase the strength of the connection. Adhesive beads are also
used at other locations on the body for sealing, electrochemical insulation and noise
reduction.
Oh ,This sounds simple! What could possibly go wrong? carl
Old 08-14-2016, 12:43 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Youch!!

From the document:

Riveting
Objective
at the adhesive bond.
Function

Bonding
Objective
Function
reduction.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:30 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
Oh ,This sounds simple! What could possibly go wrong? carl
It sounds pretty severe, it is a major structural repair if done correctly, remove what's left and replacing part #11 in the photo below.

The fractured shock tower looks horrible, and I have to think Porsche after seeing these real-world results of wheel impacts are wondering if the casting design choice was the best, but in the grand scheme of body shop repairs, this isn't a daunting task. Looking at these fractures from another perspective, I wonder if the energy that went in to breaking the casting was instead all transmitted to a stamped metal shock tower, the result could be more deformation to the chassis structure as a whole, requiring more work on the frame rack bending it back to spec.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Looking at these fractures from another perspective, I wonder if the energy that went in to breaking the casting was instead all transmitted to a stamped metal shock tower, the result could be more deformation to the chassis structure as a whole, requiring more work on the frame rack bending it back to spec.
I somehow doubt it, as mild steel has far better elastic properties than cast aluminium, it thus acts as a shock absorber that's capable of absorbing and diffusing the energy throughout the structure.

I'm guessing the GT4 has a spherical bearing (rather than a soft rubber bush) in the strut top mount ? So every last bit of energy put through that strut, would've been transferred straight to the turret, rather than being partially absorbed by the rubber bush fitted to the base/S/GTS models.

In a worst case scenario the bonding of the bush would've failed and the damper rod would've punched through it's pressed steel housing, in the process saving the turret.

Whatever the circumstances, the fractured aluminium turret is a less than perfect end result ....

Quick Reply: strut tower failure