Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Check your nuts and bolts occasionally...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenner
Thanks for this post Mike.

Just did my 2nd nut n bolt check after 6 total track days (did 1st one after 3 total track days) and LCA nuts needed to be tightened. Didn't lose any thankfully.
I'm glad it helped and you were able to tighten them down before they fell off!
Old 08-02-2016, 03:26 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

I just picked up my stash of header bolts from the dealer and the service manager looked up the torque spec: 15 Nm (about 11 lb ft) + 35 degrees. It seems like everyone has a different spec!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:43 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
My FVD headers came with gaskets that I paid for but it was inexpensive. They were recommended with the purchase of the headers. There were also gaskets for the connection from the headers to the new exhaust, as well. Upon install the mechanic said the gaskets provided by FVD were a little thicker so he went with those. Now - no idea what that could mean but when I bring back will be interesting to see if any thing loose
Would you happen to have a photo of those FVD supplied header gaskets you could upload?

I was under my car doing an oil change last weekend and noticed the OEM headers use a thin metal gasket. I expect non-metal gasket will be more susceptible to compression over time and more likely to need fasteners re-torqued.

Regarding installing studs and using nuts over the header flanges as some have suggested here, that might be a good path, but depending on the length of the stud required to extend out from the head, they may make installation difficult if room is at a premium to maneuver the headers into position. And then one has to get the studs firmly mounted so they don't loosen.

Last edited by okie981; 08-02-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by electron mike
I just picked up my stash of header bolts from the dealer and the service manager looked up the torque spec: 15 Nm (about 11 lb ft) + 35 degrees. It seems like everyone has a different spec!
I spent some time digging in the PET I have for the 981 that has GT4 supplements.

Disclaimer: The reader is advised to confirm these apply to their particular engine before relying on this information. Having said that, I would have no hesitation using this info on my GT4.

The PET procedure for installing the exhaust header says you are to use ALL NEW cylinder head bolts and metal gasket between the header flange and cylinder head, and do a two step torque procedure.

Exhaust manifold to cylinder head
External Torx screw, M8 x 21
Initial tightening torque: 15 Nm (11 ft-lb.) See attached pdf for sequence
Final tightening torque: 30 Nm (22 ft-lb.) See attached pdf for sequence

First step is to a torque of 11 ft-lbs, in the order shown in the attached pdf.

When all 9 are torqued to 11 ft-lbs, do a final torque procedure, in the order shown, to a final torque of 22 ft-lbs.

Happy torquing!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Last edited by okie981; 08-03-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

The PET is slightly obtuse on the torque spec. The spec is divided up in two sections of the document, one for "preparation" and another section that contains the final torque. You have to read both sections, and pull the initial and final torque out of a table in each of the respective sections. From my post above, the correct procedure is 11 ft-lb initial and 22 ft-lb final.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 AM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
The PET is slightly obtuse on the torque spec. The spec is divided up in two sections of the document, one for "preparation" and another section that contains the final torque. You have to read both sections, and pull the initial and final torque out of a table in each of the respective sections. From my post above, the correct procedure is 11 ft-lb initial and 22 ft-lb final.
Thanks! Do you have a screen shot of the torque instructions or a page number in the PET?
Old 08-04-2016, 02:55 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Do you have a screen shot of the torque instructions or a page number in the PET?

I'll see what I can dredge up. You are referring to something besides the pdf I attached to my post earlier in this thread that shows the torque sequence? That sequence diagram is a cut/paste directly from the PET.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:31 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

I'll see what I can dredge up. You are referring to something besides the pdf I attached to my post earlier in this thread that shows the torque sequence? That sequence diagram is a cut/paste directly from the PET.
Yeah, just the text that describes the sequence with torque numbwers or a page number if you could.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Yeah, just the text that describes the sequence with torque numbwers or a page number if you could.
On page 1781 of 4723 of the WSM pdf file:

WM 261019 Removing and installing exhaust manifold with
catalytic converter

The data table in this section right after the tools list specifies "Type: Initial tightening, Basic value: 15 N-m (11 ft-lb)" for the exhaust manifold to cylinder head. On page 1786 of the pdf, the step for installing the exhaust header reads: "2.6 Tighten new fastening screws according to the specified tightening sequence -1 to 9- to Initial tightening 15 Nm (11 ftlb.)", with the picture next to this text of the bolt torque sequence I posted in a pdf earlier in this thread.

On page 1775 of 4723 of the WSM pdf file (yes, it's weird it occurs in this WSM pdf before the initial tightening section above):

catalytic converter (Same title as section for initial tightening, go figure)

The data table in this section right after the tools list specifies "Type: Tightening torque, Basic value: 30 Nm (22 ft-lb)" for the exhaust manifold to cylinder head.
On page 1779 of the pdf, the step for installing the exhaust header reads: "4. Tighten fastening screws according to the specified tightening sequence -1 to 9-. Tightening torque 30 Nm (22 ftlb)", with the same picture next to the text of the bolt torque sequence I posted in a pdf earlier in this thread.

Both sections for initial and final torque say you are to use a new gasket and new bolts for this assembly, but note the specific text in the steps I quoted above for initial and final, only the one for initial tightening has the words "new fastening screws" in the language. This makes sense because if you are following the initial and final steps, you initially installed and torqued new fasteners, and for the final step, you just do a final torque on the fasteners already installed.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

On page 1781 of 4723 of the WSM pdf file:

catalytic converter

The data table in this section right after the tools list specifies "Type: Initial tightening, Basic value: 15 N-m (11 ft-lb)" for the exhaust manifold to cylinder head. On page 1786 of the pdf, the step for installing the exhaust header reads: "2.6 Tighten new fastening screws according to the specified tightening sequence -1 to 9- to Initial tightening 15 Nm (11 ftlb.)", with the picture next to this text of the bolt torque sequence I posted in a pdf earlier in this thread.

On page 1775 of 4723 of the WSM pdf file (yes, it's weird it occurs in this WSM pdf before the initial tightening section above):

catalytic converter (Same title as section for initial tightening, go figure)

The data table in this section right after the tools list specifies "Type: Tightening torque, Basic value: 30 Nm (22 ft-lb)" for the exhaust manifold to cylinder head.
On page 1779 of the pdf, the step for installing the exhaust header reads: "4. Tighten fastening screws according to the specified tightening sequence -1 to 9-. Tightening torque 30 Nm (22 ftlb)", with the same picture next to the text of the bolt torque sequence I posted in a pdf earlier in this thread.

Both sections for initial and final torque say you are to use a new gasket and new bolts for this assembly, but note the specific text in the steps I quoted above for initial and final, only the one for initial tightening has the words "new fastening screws" in the language. This makes sense because if you are following the initial and final steps, you initially installed and torqued new fasteners, and for the final step, you just do a final torque on the fasteners already installed.
Speaking of workshop manual I would love to see an online version ?
I think I have PET somewhere ?
TIA
Ed
Old 08-05-2016, 03:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 567 Posts

PET:

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/pet/porsche/gt4/545u/
Old 08-05-2016, 04:26 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

One of my friends who is an instructor at the track had a screw puncture a line that carries A/C coolant (not sure what it's called).

The screw that caused the problem was the second screw from the outside that secures the front lower body pan. Apparently stars/moons/planets aligned perfectly and something from under the car "pushed" or impacted the body pan in such a way that it pushed the screw up into the line - puncturing the line.

The service manager took the "tip" off the screws to make them slightly shorter and more blunt. It's possible it was track debris. My husband also wondered if it happened when the nose of the car may have scraped over a parking curb. Maybe it was a combination of things. In any case - the screw is positioned so that it "points" at the line, and if enough force is applied it can contact and pierce the line.

To be clear - this view is under the nose. The "hand" is pointing to the offending attachment.

I can only add one photo - so next post is the punctured hard line.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2016, 04:27 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Hard line that was punctured:
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2016, 04:30 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Even though it takes a decent amount of force for the tip of the screw to meet the line - obviously it's possible. Not likely - but why would they line things up in this way? I would think you'd want to avoid even a remote possibility of something like this happening - especially under the nose of the car which might encounter curbs.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm getting the file out of the toolbox now, thanks.

Last edited by d00d; 10-28-2017 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Check your nuts and bolts occasionally...