Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

November 18th Unveil at Los Angeles:

http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsc...l-de&id=361632
Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

"Orders for the new Cayman GT4 Clubsport can be made at Porsche Motorsport in Weissach, or from Porsche Motorsport North America for the US market. For 2016, homologation is planned for race series such as the Pirelli World Challenge, the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, the Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA, the Ultra 94 GT3 Cup Challenge Canada and for club races run by the Porsche Club of America as well as for other club-level meetings around the world."

Finally, it is official!

Does the term homologation mean that they have to offer PDK in street cars?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:52 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Price?
Old 10-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like Porsche Motorsport named this car "Clubsport" instead of "Cup" deliberately. The CS is merely a slightly modded variant of the street car rather than a complete overhaul. Perhaps this is a prelude to GT4 Cup Car should this project turn out well, where proper dry sump, sequential gearbox, and further weight reduction would be implemented.

Maybe the CS is Porsche Motorsport's bet on having a more hardcore version of the basic GT4 as track car as opposed to come up with a GT4RS road car -- which would either be too mellow and dilute the RennSport badge, or the price/cost of the RS would make things complicated
Old 10-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Originally Posted by matttheboatman

Does the term homologation mean that they have to offer PDK in street cars?
I think this is already the car for homologation to meet the cup car requirement ...

I was told these series no longer require manufacturers to make road legal variants as homologation requirements. You just gotta build these cars somewhere and sell them. Correct me if this is wrong.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha.GT4
I think this is already the car for homologation to meet the cup car requirement ...

I was told these series no longer require manufacturers to make road legal variants as homologation requirements. You just gotta build these cars somewhere and sell them. Correct me if this is wrong.
That is correct. Each series homologates internally for themselves. It's not like the old FIA system where you needed X number of road cars and Y number of cars total. I think the 917 had 1 or maybe 2 cars sold for the "street" and then had to have 50 total. Or WRC where Subaru used to have to make 400 STis to go race them. Those days are gone except for certain very specific series where it is truly production.

Continental and PWC have been going away from a road car based for some time. They all kinds of modifications that have nothing to do with the street cars. They are still street car tubs, but so much is changed and different. Riley is building the Camaros for both series, not Chevy. The Mustangs come from Ford's motorsports division. Mazda has Mazdaspeed. The list goes on. Porsche is actually late to the show with this car. Everyone they race against has been doing this for a long time now.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:34 PM
epsdan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Having a turn key car that is homologated and vetted by porsche vs the BYOP is just a much easier process I would think. It took us a long time to get our conti ST cars up to the performance level we needed to win the championship
If they can push this idea to the other cars in the series, it should drop the cost of running GS, and get more people in.

For years, IMSA (then Grand Am) was "concerned" (some may say obsessed) about brand confusion between classes. I wonder if there is any concern about running the Cayman 2.9 in ST and the Cayman GT4 Clubsport in GS? Given the approved (and conditionally approved) car lists for 2016, I think IMSA is over that hurdle.

I, for one, am looking forward to see how this plays out.

Anyone (CJ) thinking an MX5 GT4 car coming to play in GS one day? ;-)

dan

Last edited by epsdan; 10-06-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like Porsche Motorsport named this car "Clubsport" instead of "Cup" deliberately. The CS is merely a slightly modded variant of the street car rather than a complete overhaul. Perhaps this is a prelude to GT4 Cup Car should this project turn out well, where proper dry sump, sequential gearbox, and further weight reduction would be implemented.

Maybe the CS is Porsche Motorsport's bet on having a more hardcore version of the basic GT4 as track car as opposed to come up with a GT4RS road car -- which would either be too mellow and dilute the RennSport badge, or the price/cost of the RS would make things complicated
I dont think porsche would run a single series GT4 like that of the GT3 Cup, hence they wouldnt use the term "Cup".
If Porsche installed a sequential and dry sump it would have to fit in a series and most likely become GT4 R. But i do not see that happening.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Alpha.GT4
Racer

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I dont think porsche would run a single series GT4 like that of the GT3 Cup, hence they wouldnt use the term "Cup".
If Porsche installed a sequential and dry sump it would have to fit in a series and most likely become GT4 R. But i do not see that happening.
Good point.

Either case, the CS's diff vs road variant isn't as large as GT3 vs GT3 Cup.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:02 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Good point.

Either case, the CS's diff vs road variant isn't as large as GT3 vs GT3 Cup.
Indeed. And only 90 pounds less.....

I know the cage wieghs a few extra pounds. But without stereo, a/c, carpet and interior panels i assumed it would shed more weight....

I wonder if it will have Cats and stock exhaust?
Stock computer?

In the end, it sure beats taking a street GT4 and hacking it into a track car.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 PM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 146 Posts

Of course it's a rumor, but someone recently posted on the german site pff that he got the message that a gt4 rs will exist with Pdk, 420hp. He didn't post when.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ And one day the sun will run out of energy.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:53 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Ochocoronas
^^^^ And one day the sun will run out of energy.
Just wait for the rumors of it's having a Cup motor, 6-speed manual with the 4.12 R&P, short ratio gears and both heated and air conditioned seats!

Quick Reply: GT4 Cup Car to have PDKs