Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Try this for a European Delivery...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:53 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebo
This my dream trip , and is on my bucket list now . Can I ask you how long did this total trip take and did you have to book for hotels or motels before ?
The trip took 9 days altogether. That included a day to drive from London to Switzerland at the start, a day to drive back from the south east of France, and a day off in the Italian Riviera (San Remo). So 6 days of driving 3-4 mountain passes per day, several of which we happened across and were not part of the planned route.

Had no problem booking hotels at all, mostly with a couple of days' notice. This was mid June though, slightly before the high summer season. But a lot of these places are ski resorts in the winter and so will always have capacity in the summer holidays. Booking.com is very good as you can specify parking and show the results on a map.

We found that a detailed plan was a good starting point but there were three roads closed (one snow, one falling rocks, one road collapsed) so there is a bit of real-time route adjustment going on. Plus you occasionally have to go off-piste for fuel. Most useful tool is Google Maps as it is way more up to date than PCM. If you want the detailed route plan, DM me.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you drive those roads in that order listed?

Heh, Euro Delivery when you live in England is like driving to Odessa Texas from Long Beach CA. to pick your car up. That's why I like watching Top Gear BBC. They can snap their finger's and be just about anywhere in Europe. And then with the ED program you just drive home. The rest of the world has to wait for the boat to arrive.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Did you drive those roads in that order listed?

Heh, Euro Delivery when you live in England is like driving to Odessa Texas from Long Beach CA. to pick your car up. That's why I like watching Top Gear BBC. They can snap their finger's and be just about anywhere in Europe. And then with the ED program you just drive home. The rest of the world has to wait for the boat to arrive.

Cheers
Yes in that order. Interestingly, ED is not available in the UK. Perhaps because it's not necessary.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic trip.. 2500 miles in 9 days. woww. Now time for a nice wash.. Hehe
Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pics and info.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Watch for cyclists!

You guys who want to blast up the alpine passes with your new Porsches, have fun but watch for cyclists and give them some room. I was riding up the Susten Pass and a Porsche passed at high speed on a straight, missing me by an inch. Really pissed me off.

Remember, the bike rider you pass might just be an ex pro Porsche racer!
Old 11-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ailpne pass list

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
  • (Switzerland) Fluela Pass from Davos to Susch
  • Umbrailpass
  • (Italy) Stelvio Pass/Stilsfer Joch to Spondigna
  • Bernina Pass from Livigno
  • (Switzerland again) Albulapass to Bergun
  • St Bernardino Pass to Logiano
  • St Gotthard Pass including the cobbled Tremola!
  • Furka Pass to Gletsch
  • Grimsel Pass to Innertkirchen
  • Susten Pass to Wassen
  • Nufenen Pass to Ulrichen
  • Grand St Bernard Pass to Etroubles (France)
  • Col de Turini back up from the French Riviera nr Monaco
  • Col D’Izoard and Col de la Bonette on the way home
Fabulous experience and photos. I have done ~ 6 of these but great to have some other suggestions for my next ED I really think doing ED is one of the great experiences that makes buying a new car worth the premium.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:25 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow.

Definitely a bucket list item.

I'm having a used Cayman built by a local shop here (987 car w/GT3 bits, 3.6L, etc.) but reading these threads really makes me think I should scrap those plans and order a NEW car instead (it'll cost me the same money) and do ED!

Ok so maybe not... but I think the NEXT car will be new and the ED is a *must* it seems. So jealous seeing these pics. Quite the dream to be able to pick up your brand new car and spend an entire week doing nothing but driving it!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 PM
popngear
AutoX

How much of this trip is possible in mid April?? It looks amazing.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by popngear
How much of this trip is possible in mid April?? It looks amazing.
Probably not that much of the mountain pass stuff. Lots of snow up there when I went in June. I'd say end of May for most of it. June for all.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 PM
popngear
AutoX

Well....that's a bummer
Old 02-18-2016, 01:06 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Probably not that much of the mountain pass stuff. Lots of snow up there when I went in June. I'd say end of May for most of it. June for all.
How about with snow tires in mid April? Are the roads impassable/closed or is it the risk of snow?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
thanks so much for this post! I am currently planning my ED for late july heading south to italy and have been scouring the web to find the best driving itineraries and stops ..
superquant, did you take that trip? If so, please PM me your itinerary and recommendations.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mb1
How about with snow tires in mid April? Are the roads impassable/closed or is it the risk of snow?
I haven't been in April so can't be 100% sure but when I looked into it for the June trip, most of the passes were closed in April, it wasn't a question of snow tyres.

There are lots of websites with opening dates on them. I can't remember which ones I used but here's one... http://www.alpineroads.com/passes.php
Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I haven't been in April so can't be 100% sure but when I looked into it for the June trip, most of the passes were closed in April, it wasn't a question of snow tyres.

There are lots of websites with opening dates on them. I can't remember which ones I used but here's one... http://www.alpineroads.com/passes.php
Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply: Try this for a European Delivery...