Notices

Moving from SoloDL to MXL Pista w/GPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Moving from SoloDL to MXL Pista w/GPS

So I have been using a Solo DL with Smartycam for the past season. As I take things out of the car I am going to consolidate to an external dash that will also have expand-ability to external sensors. The Solo DL was a simple OBDII plug direct to the Solo and then my SmartyCam plugged into the Solo.

I believe the Pista is designed to be manually wired in however I know AIM also makes an ECU bridge. My question is this, if I want to go with an OBDII for the Pista would I also get the ECU bridge or do they make a plug and play OBDII adapter? I have a 987.2 so can I just simply tap the Can + and Can - ? Are they right behind the stock Nav unit/Radio?

Thank you in advance...

Last edited by Paul Solk; 02-11-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

The MXL doesn't use an ECU Bridge. The bridge was really to allow a SmartyCam to connect to an ECU. What car are you putting the MXL into? That will determine how to connect to the ECU. But, if you're Solo DL connected, then it shouldn't be much of a problem for the MXL.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The MXL doesn't use an ECU Bridge. The bridge was really to allow a SmartyCam to connect to an ECU. What car are you putting the MXL into? That will determine how to connect to the ECU. But, if you're Solo DL connected, then it shouldn't be much of a problem for the MXL.
The SoloDL was running off OBDII not Can Bus... This is going into a 987.2
I also have a Smartycam HD. So I was going OBDII---> SoloDL and then from SoloDL---> SmartyCam...

Thanks Matt!
Old 02-11-2017, 10:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Paul, I'd connect the MXL directly to the CAN near the fuse box or off the back of the instrument cluster. Also, around the column. You'll get more info and it'll be refreshed more quickly. PM me and I'll be glad to help.

You should have an antenna (five pin plug) with the MXL. You'll need a Data Hub, about $60, to plug into the back of the MXL, then the antenna and SmartyCam will plug into the Hub. All set.

I can provide notes on updating your configuration so that it all works seamlessly, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
The SoloDL was running off OBDII not Can Bus... This is going into a 987.2
I also have a Smartycam HD. So I was going OBDII---> SoloDL and then from SoloDL---> SmartyCam...

Thanks Matt!
CAN connection will be much more info, faster data rate, and a little cleaner not having to take up the OBDII connection.

Here is the AiM document that shows what you will get out of the CAN connection and the general instructions. The CAN connection gives you all of the driver inputs except brake pressure. You'll also get all your engine health measures as well. It's the way to go.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...us_102_eng.pdf
Old 02-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Paul, I'd connect the MXL directly to the CAN near the fuse box or off the back of the instrument cluster. Also, around the column. You'll get more info and it'll be refreshed more quickly. PM me and I'll be glad to help.

You should have an antenna (five pin plug) with the MXL. You'll need a Data Hub, about $60, to plug into the back of the MXL, then the antenna and SmartyCam will plug into the Hub. All set.

I can provide notes on updating your configuration so that it all works seamlessly, too.
Thanks Pete, that is incredibly generous and helpful!! It was actually your input in another thread that highlighted the differences in the MXL models that led me to verify it was a Pista and grab it right away! So thanks to your knowledgeable feedback in another thread I just spent $750
Old 02-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

CAN connection will be much more info, faster data rate, and a little cleaner not having to take up the OBDII connection.

Here is the AiM document that shows what you will get out of the CAN connection and the general instructions. The CAN connection gives you all of the driver inputs except brake pressure. You'll also get all your engine health measures as well. It's the way to go.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...us_102_eng.pdf
Thank you very much Matt! So will BP require an external sensor? It is an S btw... Definitely something I want to monitor. Thanks again for all the help.
-Paul
Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you very much Matt! So will BP require an external sensor? Definitely something I want to monitor. Thanks again for all the help.
-Paul
It would take an external sensor, but you'll get very similar data from looking at Long G. If you bought the unit in the other thread, you'll need to buy either the second harness or build one. Not too hard to build, but takes a bit of time, pin out, and materials. The pressure sensor is not bad to plumb in.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

It would take an external sensor, but you'll get very similar data from looking at Long G. If you bought the unit in the other thread, you'll need to buy either the second harness or build one. Not too hard to build, but takes a bit of time, pin out, and materials. The pressure sensor is not bad to plumb in.
I did indeed... So for right now if I just stick win Long G. I won't need the 2nd harness? I plan on doing the AiM basic course in March...
Old 02-11-2017, 11:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,339 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Nah, hold off and get it up and running right now, Paul.

I'm sure Matt knows the MXL doesn't have an internal longitudinal g accelerometer in it, but you can use the GPS derived Long G, in lieu of that. So, you're fine for now.

Matt or I can sell you a harness. It's a PITA to build one, and you need expensive tools (which I have, and Matt may, too) to do it right.

You have many more options now...
Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Nah, hold off and get it up and running right now, Paul.

Matt or I can sell you a harness. It's a PITA to build one, and you need expensive tools (which I have, and Matt may, too) to do it right.

Perfect advice, thank you sir...
Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I did indeed... So for right now if I just stick win Long G. I won't need the 2nd harness? I plan on doing the AiM basic course in March...
You can hookup and run with what you have. Not a big deal to add the harness later. The connector is a couple of dollars and you could do it with a couple of patch cables. Probably not more than $100 ($3 for the connector and $29 per patch cable). Here's the pinout if you want to check it out http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...ta_102_eng.pdf

I never found the Amp connectors to be bad. Plus, if he is planning to just add a couple of channels, it would be pretty easy and cheap to do. The motorsport connectors are another story.

Quick Reply: Moving from SoloDL to MXL Pista w/GPS