Notices

SmartCam HD Rev.2 Field of View

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:55 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Scott and others for mentioning the magnetic mounts. I figured something could be fabbed or adapted if the cameras did not come already set up with some sort of system for adding filters, et cetera to the lens.

I am sure the metering is great for most applications as Matt pointed out, but I have experienced many situations with my car's black interior where I desired to improve the situation.

I have a sneaking feeling that the current SmartyCam, along with the breakthroughs enabled by the first and subsequent releases of RS3 will represent a zenith for in car video. Sure, I can envision more accessible ways for folks to beam out their video in real time, but from a learning and documenting standpoint, I think we'll have a zenith. So perhaps for many with learning and documentation as a focus, the current SmartyCam represents a "last time buy."
Old 02-05-2016, 02:35 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 763 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
See that's the thing; Cup racing is far more "pro" than my pretend-racing track days. For them it makes sense to invest in a nice system to impress sponsors and to flush out a personal portfolio to maybe someday get the driver a paid gig. For me (and the vast majority of YouTube pretend "race car drivers"), the videos are just narcassistic posts of "hey look at me." I can see the reasoning for spending the money to impress potential sponsers, but impressing friends, not so much.

That said, having track location, speed, and other variables on the display makes it so much more useful I can't completely discount it, so Matt, I'll keep your offer in mind.
You have to figure out if you are going to use video just to try and impress people or as a tool to help you become a better and hopefully a faster driver. If the former, the SmartyCam HD is over priced. If the later, the SmartyCam HD is a bargain.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:48 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You have to figure out if you are going to use video just to try and impress people or as a tool to help you become a better and hopefully a faster driver. If the former, the SmartyCam HD is over priced. If the later, the SmartyCam HD is a bargain.
This is a very true statement - bad on me for not having it at the head of the list. I've spent so much time without such a system, and so much time building up the car, that it hasn't sunk in just how useful such information can be. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
This is a very true statement - bad on me for not having it at the head of the list. I've spent so much time without such a system, and so much time building up the car, that it hasn't sunk in just how useful such information can be. Thanks for pointing this out.
+1,000,000!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-07-2016, 05:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Offset the cost of a SmartyCam against the price of a set of slicks.
Now calculate how long your slicks will last, and your SmartyCam.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Hi guys. Question.
I have an AIM MXL dash and I'm considering the smartycam.
Do I also need the EVO data logger to in order for the dash to work with the smartycam and overlay data?
Or is the dash itself enough?
Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorge98C4S
Hi guys. Question.
I have an AIM MXL dash and I'm considering the smartycam.
Do I also need the EVO data logger to in order for the dash to work with the smartycam and overlay data?
Or is the dash itself enough?
Thanks.
You're MXL is enough. The MXL will connect to a data hub where your SCHD and GPS antenna will plug into. You'll have to configure the MXL to output the data you want (easy to do in RS2) and then configure the SCHD to display the data how you want. It's a pretty easy process and very easy when you have some guidance.

Let me know if I can help you out with the SCHD or the data hub. I have them in stock and can ship them configured or help you out with configuring it on your end.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Thanks Matt. I just realized that the MXL has to be connected to some sort of data hub!

Another question: is the AIM software MAC compatible or only for PC?
Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Jorge98C4S
Track Day

Sorry Matt, just found an old post where you give an answer to this!!!
Thanks!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:00 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Is 84 degrees the field of view of the original SmartyCam HD? Is this video an example of that:

those look like fun to drive, what vw series is that and where are you racing.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:38 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 270 Posts

+1000 I had a procoach drive my Porsche 944 at Watkins Glen with me in the passenger seat. He showed me why his approach was effective and simple to comprehend and learn . The challenge is transferring those "megabytes" of visual information into to your brain's "solid state " storage for subconscious retrieval.

The session was videotaped with a GoPro Hero2 and the track data collected by an AIM MXL. I did not attempt to synchronize the video with the track data collected in 2016. I used the Google Earth Pro platform to manually synchronize the video and the track data.

The pertinent track data was displayed in measured graph, throttle position; brake pressure; GSum; and Rad, the last two are math channels. Rad was used to determine corner entry and corner exit points. The video was review at half speed and the FOV of the camera allowed recording the steering wheel angular position and when the driver lifted the throttle. The video captured key permanent landmarks on and off the track surface.

For each corner, the video was stopped at throttle lift, initial corner entry/ turn in, at any significant changes in steering angle towards the apex, the apex, any significant changes in steering angle from apex to corner exit/track out. The measured graph data was indexed with the video snapshots and I overlayed the data on the Google Earth for each corner. Then print screen was used to print the final corner pictorial representation of the track data from one laptop and the corresponding video snapshot from second laptop.

This has taken hours, a lot of trial and error to perfect the process. The outcome is I have a playbook, not any different then what a pro football team uses on the sidelines to review previous plays with key players (the images displayed on a tablet). The playbook, corner specific, is used to transfer the track experienced visual data in fixed time to my brain storage. Then I am going to uses visualization skills to move the snapshot data to my subconscious for quick retrieval when driving the race car on track.

This process is not possible to execute at the track, so I have decided to purchase the latest SmartyCam 84degree FOV video camera so I can quickly review my track data as compared to the playbook to determine improvement opportunities. My AIM track data is analyzed in 4 segments. I believe more segments is only necessary after you have wrung out all of the efficacy with the 4 segements, i.e., segment times are consistent with each lower lap time until the lap times plateau. Also, reviewing the confirms or denies that you believe you drove that corner and/or segment better.

In the off season, I would develop a track specific playbook for each track where I have had a procoach drive my car (assuming the procoach allows video recording the session.

I believe the SmartyCam video camera cost is justified because you save procoach costs to help achieve the last 20 % of the opportunities to lower track lap times after the procoach has helped you achieve 80% of the opportunities to lower your lap times. In my experience 80 % of my efficacy towards lower lap times was achieved with procoaching and my goal to achieve the 20% is achievable through the playbook process.

My epiphany moment occured this winter as I am realizing the time spend on developing the playbook is essentially wasted if I cannot quickly review integrated video and track data to plan a strategy for then next track seasion.

I am looking forward to demonstratIng that premise at Watkins Glen in 2017. The camera cost is offset by less DE track days and no additional procoach costs, less time to achieve the goal and TIME IS MONEY. The cost of the camera is paid in one 2 day DE event.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​
​​

Quick Reply: SmartCam HD Rev.2 Field of View