Notices

Motec - where do I start, need training

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Motec - where do I start, need training

The Cayman race car that I purchased has Motec CDL3 Club Dash Logger. I live in Houston area and typically only run track weekends at COTA, MSR, and TWS. I need someone to educate/train me how to program the dash features (because I am unclear what is really on it now). I also need someone to really review details and set points.

I have downloaded software on laptop, plugged in car to laptop, and can see some stuff. Does anyone know of trainer in Houston area or that services the tracks noted above offering these types of services? I hear a lot about data logging and frankly don't understand how to interpret the information at my beginner stage.

Up until now, I simply drive the tracks, not focused on lap times or other stuff. But, as my skills progress and more attention to details, I want to use available equipment to better myself. Any guidance whom I should talk too?
Dan
Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Chris Brown's book Making Sense of Squiggly Lines is a great start on how to analyze data. Chris also does the Motec training classes and can do remote training with you. Louis at LG Speed in TX may be able to help too.

Peter here is a resource as well. He can help with the analysis and Motec education.

I'm sure lots of others will be mentioned too.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Matt's recommendation of Chris Brown's book here
Amazon Amazon
is the best way to become acquainted with what the lines mean, desirable information to review and concepts that are good for all systems, not just MoTeC.

The CDL3 Track Kit (recently reduced in price to about the same as an AiM MXS) is a really powerful, extremely configurable tool. Because the learning curve is steep to get it set up, enlist the aid of a local resource who can get the system, display, alarms, tracks and channels set up ONCE.

Then, you can leave it and it will record the information, you can download it can use Chris' book as a guide for what to look at and what you're looking at. Alternately, find a coach at the places you go to that is familiar with MoTeC and make that part of the time you spend together. My colleague Jason Hart would a great local resource.

My recommendation would be to call or email one of my fellow MoTeC dealers in Houston, Chris Delgato. He is located at 8807 Emmott Road #500, Houston, TX 77040 Phone: 713-962-8262 Email: chris@d3performanceengineering.com

There is a fair bit of training information in these presentations on the website here: http://www.motec.com/downloads/downloadseminars/

You've got the entry level logger for the most powerful hardware/software combination in the business, so you're well equipped.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 PM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the super helpful responses. I will call Chris to discuss. Do you have contact method for Jason Hart? My preference would be to get programming help, but also a day of driver coaching to go along with Motec training.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Chris would be best for configuration and setup help, as well as assisting you in the steps to download, clear, set venues before the start of the weekend and system maintenance. He could also assist in setting up in the i2 analysis software, the basic "workbook" which is completely customizable and really should be tailored to your car, your installation and your goals.

Jason would be the best to evaluate your current performance at the track, but also to set benchmarks and help you navigate through data YOU (and he, if you are willing, although that is not absolutely necessary) generate at the track. You can then build a workflow that shouldn't take too much time, but will tell you where the opportunities for improvement lie.

www.jasonhartracing.com

Please let him know that I referred you to him.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Jason is awesome. I didn't think of him going to Houston as I think he's based out of Dallas area, but he's a great guy, driver, and coach.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 AM
texlbs
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option for Motec dealer in Houston is Curt Jung. I just started working with him to get data setup in my new car. He has lots of experience with a variety of manufacturers. He met with me at MSR for the consultation, and I think he is there fairly often.

Jung Motorsports
curtjung@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Motec - where do I start, need training