Notices

SmartCam HD Rev.2 Field of View

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:38 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 787 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Plus, it's doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
It was just a question. I will getting the 84 degree version.

That was the first page I found that actually listed three different FOVs.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
I will getting the 84 degree version.

That was the first page I found that actually listed three different FOVs.
Didn't mean to sound sharp. Who are you going to get it from?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-02-2016, 11:10 PM
winders
Race Car

I will probably buy it through the shop that is installing and configuring the system (dash, sensors, and camera). In the slight chance I install it all my self, I would probably buy it from you.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
I will probably buy it through the shop that is installing and configuring the system (dash, sensors, and camera). In the slight chance I install it all my self, I would probably buy it from you.
Thank you. It's modular and I do configure it for your application before I send it. If I can help, let me know. Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Related question...

Do any of the Smartycam products have lens systems that allow the easy attachment of filters?

For example with my ReplayXD, I bought a 37mm adapter so I could attach a graduated ND filter. This can help with exposure where the lower half of the image is a dark car interior while the upper half is bright because of the windshield.

If Smartycam lens systems don't have this capability designed-in, I am sure I can rig something if I need it when the time comes.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

You don't need the extra filters because of the very good exposure control.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:12 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the confidence Matt. But I would still like an answer to my question.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:45 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Related question...

Do any of the Smartycam products have lens systems that allow the easy attachment of filters?

For example with my ReplayXD, I bought a 37mm adapter so I could attach a graduated ND filter. This can help with exposure where the lower half of the image is a dark car interior while the upper half is bright because of the windshield.

If Smartycam lens systems don't have this capability designed-in, I am sure I can rig something if I need it when the time comes.
This thread might be of help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...flections.html
Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 AM
winders
Race Car

Based on information in the link in my previous post, here is a link to an adapter that should work with the SmartyCam HD Rev.2:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_adapter.html

This adapter should allow one to use 49mm filters.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

You can get the magnetic adapters cheap on EBay. I did that years ago when I did one of the first Aipteks. Then there was the Traqmate with the Sony Handicam. That had a screw-in adapter, then the Go-Pro, and finally the Smartycam. The spending never ends ...
Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you on the cost. I've owned several camcorders and three generations of GoPros. Due to their "personality" I've been looking into alternatives, but just can't bring myself to spend another $$$$ on something that may be replaced in just a few years. I guess if I was on-track every week, or had sponsership, that would be different. As it is, this is supposed to be a fun, somewhat affordable habit. Tis a slippery slope, especially for a video system that isn't useful for anything else but cars.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,064 Posts

As a DE user (about 30 track days a year) i've found my smartycam + Aim Solo DL to be an invaluable tool for learning and becoming a better driver. The ease of use is insane. Drive and it starts recording automatically with overlay and stops recording when done. Finish session, pull card out and review session and areas to work on for next session. Oh, and it makes youtube and rennlist videos super easy :-) yes its an investment, but the go pro I had constant issues with, batteries, shutting off, no overlay. Good quality when it worked, but mostly a headache.

I've gotten several of my DE buddies to get these and they haven't looked back after doing so.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 791 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
I hear you on the cost. I've owned several camcorders and three generations of GoPros. Due to their "personality" I've been looking into alternatives, but just can't bring myself to spend another $$$$ on something that may be replaced in just a few years. I guess if I was on-track every week, or had sponsership, that would be different. As it is, this is supposed to be a fun, somewhat affordable habit. Tis a slippery slope, especially for a video system that isn't useful for anything else but cars.
Do I need to make a Smartycam rental program? If you, or anyone else with an AiM system, is interested, I'll send you a Smartycam HD Rev.2 to try out. I think you'll find how much you like it and will decide to keep it pretty quickly. Shoot me a PM or email if you want to try one out.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Sold half a dozen this week already, many to Cup racing drivers, here at the track...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:42 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See that's the thing; Cup racing is far more "pro" than my pretend-racing track days. For them it makes sense to invest in a nice system to impress sponsors and to flush out a personal portfolio to maybe someday get the driver a paid gig. For me (and the vast majority of YouTube pretend "race car drivers"), the videos are just narcassistic posts of "hey look at me." I can see the reasoning for spending the money to impress potential sponsers, but impressing friends, not so much.

That said, having track location, speed, and other variables on the display makes it so much more useful I can't completely discount it, so Matt, I'll keep your offer in mind.

Last edited by kb58; 02-05-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: SmartCam HD Rev.2 Field of View