Notices

What wax will look best on Arctic silver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What wax will look best on Arctic silver?

I know that some wax seem to look best/deepest on certain paint types and colors. I'm wondering what will be a best match for my 993 in Arctic silver.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Joemat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many products that will do a fine job. I personally use Zymol Glasur and am happy with the results. Easy on, easy off and leaves a great shine.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Wax

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I know that some wax seem to look best/deepest on certain paint types and colors. I'm wondering what will be a best match for my 993 in Arctic silver.
The best option is to first make sure that the paint itself looks its best. Iron Removal, Clay bar treatment, and then polishing to bring out the luster and the shine in the silver. From there, you can pick a wax that you like to work with that goes on easy and comes off easy without too much fuss. I really like Swissvax Concorso. With wax, you will be re-applying often, so that is why I state to use something that you can apply easily.

P21S Concours wax is also a great option.

I would also think about maybe a sealant prior to the wax. I have had great results using Nanolex spray sealant as a base and then topping it with the SV Concorso above.

HUMP
Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Question: would a sealant be better on light colored paints (silvers, whites...) than a wax? Waxes are to some degree opaque, which is good for darker colors adding depth to the darker color since some light reflection is captured in the wax giving the illusion of depth. But light colors don't show depth well if at all. Light colors look best when they shine which needs as much light reflected off the surface as possible. Once the paint surface is properly prepared with decontamination and swirl removal, I would think an optically clear sealant (not wax) would produce the best reflection (shine) for a light colored paints. Help here please.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:45 AM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Majority of you depth and gloss will come from prep work/paint correction prior to applying your protective coating of choice. You would be surprised at how much those teeny tiny scratches that are hard to even see on a silver car can change the light being reflected.

As as for which protective coating will add the most depth, gloss and shine possible on a light colored car? I would have to say hands down a ceramic coating is going to provide the wettest and deepest gloss. It's essentially helps to level and add a little extra layer of clear reflective coating over your vehicles clear coat. It will also require the least amount of reapplying and maintenance.

Most carnauba waxes are going to look glossy, wet and amazing the day they are applied. The higher the quality of carnauba the more oily, deep wetness you will see. But, unless your car is driven very rarely (think show car), it's going to diminish at a very rapid pace.

Jumping up to a polymer sealant would be a move in the right direction over a wax. These will all be formulated a little different depending on what the products ultimate goal is and content. Is it going for the show car shine or the longevity. The price difference between a wax and polymer sealant is pretty small.

The next option is going to be a Silica Sealant. Now, if you're not ready to invest in a high end ceramic coating and are looking to protect your car in your own garage, this is my recommendation for sure. These are great products and they can last up to a year per application (under optimal conditions and maintenance of course). They are going to provide a long lasting, very slick/ hydrophobic, high gloss shine on a light and dark colored vehicle
Old 09-27-2016, 01:45 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I'm happy using Autoglym's Extra Gloss sealant...cheap, easy to apply, lasts a long time and looks great IMO
Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Used Meguires Ultimate wax after polishing. Results were great although the shine wasnt as wet looking as with carnuba wax.

Quick Reply: What wax will look best on Arctic silver?