Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

958: Switched 12V in overhead light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM
steph280
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 958: Switched 12V in overhead light?

I'm trying to find a switched 12V location where I can tap my radar detector into above the rearview mirror. Does anybody have any schematic diagram or know an easily accessible place to tap this into?

Thanks very much!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Personally, I thnk you're better off going to the fuse box on the passenger side to find a switched position. It's not difficult to route a cord there under the edge of the headliner and along the A pillar. Don't know of a switched source in the overhead console; short of a schematic you'll need a test bulb or multimeter to find one.
Attached Images   
Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Ditto on Mike's suggestion. I did check out the overhead console for a switched source, and the only ones I could find would require soldering a wire to one of the circuit boards in the console. I decided not to do that given the potential for damage.

There are blank fuse positions in the two fuse boxes.. you can spot them by the lack of a fuse, and one set of contacts already installed in them. I checked out a few and found there are constant power on, and switched power on ones.. I soldered a wire to the blade of a fuse (have to do that carefully so you don't melt the fuse), and installed it so the soldered wire blade went into the part of the fuse holder with no contact in it.

Right now (emails back and forth today) - I've been talking to some Porsche wreckers about obtaining some of the contacts from a junked Porsche fuse block, with pigtail wires on the end where they cut them off the harness. These should be able to be installed in the blank positions for accessory power sources. The Porsche parts system doesn't list the contacts, and in trying some of the bigger on-line Porsche dealers who sell parts - they couldn't track down a source of new ones either. The ones off a wreck should work just fine.

I'll let the forum know if I succeed in getting some..

The photo shows 2 blank positions - you can see the existing contacts inside the red circle..
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

As an alternative to soldering to a fuse consider one of these......
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
steph280
Instructor

Perfect, this is exactly what I needed. I pulled the cover above the mirror and saw some cables, probably for the auto dimming mirror. I was hoping to try one of those since I already run a cable down the A-pillar into the passenger footwell cigarette lighter for the dash cam, but running another wire to the fusebox shouldn't be an issue. So that fuse#18 in the picture is switched?

Thanks again for the great info!
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by steph280
Perfect, this is exactly what I needed. I pulled the cover above the mirror and saw some cables, probably for the auto dimming mirror. I was hoping to try one of those since I already run a cable down the A-pillar into the passenger footwell cigarette lighter for the dash cam, but running another wire to the fusebox shouldn't be an issue. So that fuse#18 in the picture is switched?

Thanks again for the great info!
On my 2011 S slot 18 is empty and nothing is assigned to it per the diagram in the manual. I used it with one of those fuse taps in the second picture and the 10A spare fuse that you can see at the bottom left of the box in the first picture. Slot 18 is switched with the ignition, but also know that if you use the start/stop function your detector will shut down when the engine does, and then come back on when it restarts. I didn't bother looking for a circuit that is ignition switched but stays on with start/stop because a) it doesn't bother me when the detector reboots, b) I rarely use start/stop, and c) after finding slot 18 which worked fine and was switched, I got lazy.....
Old 05-17-2012, 12:39 PM
steph280
Instructor

I rarely use start/stop either, so that would be perfect. Thanks Mike!
Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 PM
GTS Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
As an alternative to soldering to a fuse consider one of these......
What's that called & where do you get it?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by GTS Jay
What's that called & where do you get it?
It's called a fuse tap and I bought mine at Radio Shack. They are also available through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-30001-...7581283&sr=8-6

There's also this type, but it can block two slots in your fuse block which makes it more problematic, IMO:

http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0956pt-Mi...7581020&sr=8-4
Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I bought mine at Pepboys but Zone and advance may have some as well in their electrical connection sections

Quick Reply: 958: Switched 12V in overhead light?