Sponsored by:

Smallest Diameter Wheels on '01S

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 02:49 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Smallest Diameter Wheels on '01S

Looking around for winter wheels and wanted to see what the smaller sizes I can get away with on a 2001 S. I know 16 inch wheels will fit on the Non-S but how about one with the bigger rotors?
Old 04-02-2017, 09:19 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I,m pretty sure 17s are the smallest which will clear S brakes I have a decent set of 18s from my 2001 shipping from Port Huron Mi 48060 Offers?
Old 04-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Looking around for winter wheels and wanted to see what the smaller sizes I can get away with on a 2001 S. I know 16 inch wheels will fit on the Non-S but how about one with the bigger rotors?
Be careful. Even if 17" wheels fit the car/clear the brakes the tires that fit the wheels may not be available forever. As factory wheel sizes go up the smaller tires are falling out of favor and the used car market may not be enough to keep the tire makers making the smaller tires.

Of course if the 17" winter tires fit a number of other used vehicles then the odds are the tire makers will continue to produce the 17" winter tires because there is demand beyond a few Boxster owners.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:06 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Thanks - I'll stick with stock wheels for the winter time.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Be careful. Even if 17" wheels fit the car/clear the brakes the tires that fit the wheels may not be available forever. As factory wheel sizes go up the smaller tires are falling out of favor and the used car market may not be enough to keep the tire makers making the smaller tires.

Of course if the 17" winter tires fit a number of other used vehicles then the odds are the tire makers will continue to produce the 17" winter tires because there is demand beyond a few Boxster owners.
PooPoo

17" is the standard S wheel. 16" will not fit as the calipers are larger on the S than the base.

Plenty of 17" performance and winter tires available to choose from.
17" tires are less $$ than 18" as well.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG
PooPoo

17" is the standard S wheel. 16" will not fit as the calipers are larger on the S than the base.

Plenty of 17" performance and winter tires available to choose from.
17" tires are less $$ than 18" as well.
Well, I did add that if the 17" winter tires fit a number of other cars that's a good sign the tires will be available.

I have never needed to seriously shop as a precursor to actually buying winter wheels/tires for my Boxster so I don't know what's out there.

I know that when it comes time to buy the 17" summer tires for my Boxster the sanctioned tire choices are slim. Often just one brand of tire is available, first Michelin and then later Michelin were not available -- on back order for months and months -- but Pirelli were available.

17" tires are definitely less expensive than 18" and the ride I think is much better with 17" wheels/tires. My 996 Turbo has 18" wheels/tires and the ride is quite a bit harsher compared to the Boxster. While the suspension accounts for some of this the tires add their fair share.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:50 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Well, I did add that if the 17" winter tires fit a number of other cars that's a good sign the tires will be available.

I have never needed to seriously shop as a precursor to actually buying winter wheels/tires for my Boxster so I don't know what's out there.

I know that when it comes time to buy the 17" summer tires for my Boxster the sanctioned tire choices are slim. Often just one brand of tire is available, first Michelin and then later Michelin were not available -- on back order for months and months -- but Pirelli were available.

17" tires are definitely less expensive than 18" and the ride I think is much better with 17" wheels/tires. My 996 Turbo has 18" wheels/tires and the ride is quite a bit harsher compared to the Boxster. While the suspension accounts for some of this the tires add their fair share.
Where in the Wild World of Sports are you shopping for tires? The local 7/11?
Tons of 17" summer tires available. Just type www.tirerack.com and magicially you will find a big list of 17" tires.

Do you mean by "sanctioned" tires N spec?
if so, who give a rats ***???

Quick Reply: Smallest Diameter Wheels on '01S