Sponsored by:

02 Boxster rear plastic window trashed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Boxster rear plastic window trashed

Well I guess I learned a big lesson yesterday - don't even attempt to open the engine compartment in near freezing weather. After taking an oil sample, I was accessing the engine compartment on the GF's Boxster. Got the two safety cables off, the retaining clips and there's quite a bit of resistance trying to lift the rear of the top up. I heard cracking sounds and there's three fairly large cracks in the plastic window. It's stiff as a board! This is certainly the original top but in really nice condition. You could actually see out the rear window (although slightly blurry). We'd been conditioning the window during the warm months but hadn't done much cleaning lately. And she does have to park the car outside at work so that plastic had probably degraded from UV.

Anyway, I've doctored those holes up with some clear strapping tape so she can drive the car on nice days. But now I've got to figure out the best course of action to take on replacement...

A. Get the upgraded top with glass window and install myself (expensive but should look great).
B. Get the top with the plastic window and install myself (less expensive).
C. Find a shop that can sew in a replacement plastic window (unknown cost but least amount of effort).

Let me know how you fixed this problem on your Boxster, how troublesome the procedure was, the cost and net results. I've read Wayne's description and it doesn't look like a lot of fun. My experiences with this kind of job... I've recovered several sets of seats and did one suspended roof liner (that was not fun at all).
Old 01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I am not far behind you with my 2000 Box. From what I have read on various forums installing a non original top will make engine access more difficult. For this reason I plan to have a local shop replace the plastic window for $350. I have heard other shops charge up to $500.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I am not far behind you with my 2000 Box. From what I have read on various forums installing a non original top will make engine access more difficult. For this reason I plan to have a local shop replace the plastic window for $350. I have heard other shops charge up to $500.
Preliminary research indicates that no local shops are willing to replace the plastic window only. 1st quote on labor to replace the top - $750. This is something I may have to force myself to do...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go to an auto upholstery shop...

I have had my rear window replaced a few times. The rates mentioned by byprodriver are accurate.

I also have an '00 S in addition to my 911.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Well I guess I learned a big lesson yesterday - don't even attempt to open the engine compartment in near freezing weather. After taking an oil sample, I was accessing the engine compartment on the GF's Boxster. Got the two safety cables off, the retaining clips and there's quite a bit of resistance trying to lift the rear of the top up. I heard cracking sounds and there's three fairly large cracks in the plastic window. It's stiff as a board! This is certainly the original top but in really nice condition. You could actually see out the rear window (although slightly blurry). We'd been conditioning the window during the warm months but hadn't done much cleaning lately. And she does have to park the car outside at work so that plastic had probably degraded from UV.

Anyway, I've doctored those holes up with some clear strapping tape so she can drive the car on nice days. But now I've got to figure out the best course of action to take on replacement...

A. Get the upgraded top with glass window and install myself (expensive but should look great).
B. Get the top with the plastic window and install myself (less expensive).
C. Find a shop that can sew in a replacement plastic window (unknown cost but least amount of effort).

Let me know how you fixed this problem on your Boxster, how troublesome the procedure was, the cost and net results. I've read Wayne's description and it doesn't look like a lot of fun. My experiences with this kind of job... I've recovered several sets of seats and did one suspended roof liner (that was not fun at all).
Same thing happened to my 02 Boxster's original plastic window. Accessing the engine compartment and I folded the top and crack. Right at the driver's side edge of the window.

Clear packaging tape was used to effect a seal to keep water/air/fumes out of the cabin but I finally broke down and had an upholstery shop cut out the old window and sew in a new window. Same heavy plastic material. Cost? Well, this was a few years ago: $600.

Only complaint is the old top's border was left in place -- the stitches were not cut/removed -- and the new top was sewn in which left two lines of stitching.

Keep looking for a shop but if no shop wants to touch the window you'll have to go with plan B I guess: new (canvas) top (if the rubber sheet underneath is ok) with new window.

$750 doesn't seem that bad to me and when (if) I have to deal with the replacement window -- which is getting harder to see out of -- that is probably what I'll do.

I would not go with the replacement top with the glass rear window. I do not the looks of the replacement top's shape and I do not like the smaller/differently located window and the difficulty -- I read about -- in getting the top into the service position.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Thanks Macster. I did find a local shop that would replace the plastic window for $745 total. The owner says they do it all the time. They will remove the top to sew the replacement window in. So far, that appears to be the best option.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Now looking at replacement tops on eBay. This outfit appears to be reputable...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160808174402...84.m1438.l2649
Anybody here ordered from Quality Tops and Interiors in Los Angeles?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:36 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$750 in Tennessee? yikes. I paid $400 in Philadelphia and that was after a recent increase from $300.

For $750 in labor I'd just do a whole new GAHH top with glass. You get less access to the eninge but its not terrible from what I hear. You just have to tie down the glass part to keep it from falling down and breaking.

Last edited by perfectlap; 01-18-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every quote I've gotten we're in the $700 range. Usually vendors thru my work, but I know of a few upholstery shops in town that I'll have look at it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing to mine, but it actually split two holes in the plastic. The fabric was in rough shape as well so I just had the entire top replaced (plastic window to keep visibility...and I think it just looks better so long as the plastic is in good shape). Cost me $1200 after labor and materials. No way I would even consider undertaking that job myself, it's quite nasty from what I read.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM
42empress
Racer

E6000 epoxy

Quick Reply: 02 Boxster rear plastic window trashed