Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really IMS failure?? Carnage pics and detail within!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:07 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better answer soon - she's got a gun!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

He is probably suggesting that Mobil 1 not be used, and possibly even NOT a 0 weight oil. Chain running wear is a different sort than bearing sliding. Both are lubed by the same oil. So obviously some conditions need to be met in the oil for both situations.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default There are at least two issues: Longer wearing (and more on this in a moment)....

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
You are exactly right.. The chain wear pad is there to wear... and the units in these engines do wear quite fast.

Finding the proper material will be difficult and we were hoping we would not have to venture down this path.. I know that Silicon Nitride would solve the issue, as it has eeliminated wear for us in other applications totally, but its costly as hell and difficult to machine.

What I am exploring now are the different coatings that can be applied to these tensioner pads to reduce friction as well as what can be added to the chain to also reduce friction on the pads.

there are some metals that could also be applied as chain wear surfaces and some specialized treatments like Casiciam coating can be used to reduce friction on these... It'll be a trial and error development for sure.. It needs to be done, because even at 30K miles the pads are worn, past 70K they are on their last legs from what we have seen so far at tear down time.

And I am leaning toward this problem being aggrevated by Porsche's selection of "recommended oil".....
and noise. For instance, while diamond chain guides would be (theoretically anyhow) long wearing the chain noise would be (I believe) intolerable.

And it does no good for a chain guide to be long lasting if its long life causes accelerated wear on the chain that runs against it.

Years ago I worked in an optical lab grinding optical lenses. What I noticed was that in the case of the cylinder finishing machines these had a lens holder that moved the lens in a pattern over the finishing tool. At the same time a flood of the proper abrasive was directed to the lens/tool interface.

While the inner workings of these machines were sealed to guard against any of this abrasive compound making it into the machine's inner workings the seals were not perfect.

There was invariably some of this abrasive that made its way into the sliding bearings of these machines.

What I found is the much softer nylon sleeve bearings would be hardly worn at all but the hardened stainless steel shafts (Thompson rod material, case hardened to approx. 60C Rockwell to a depth of around 1/16th of an inch) would be worn sometimes through the case hardened layer down to the softer material underneath.

What was happening was the softer nylon material held on to the grains of abrasive material and acted as emory cloth (after a fashion) and worn the hardened shafts.

(And this was hammered home too in my later work/experience with telescope mirror and optical flats).

The above to make my point that a harder guide material might cause accelerated wear of the chain. OTOH, with a softer guide material it wears until it adapts a profile that results in almost all of the contact occuring between it and the chain by the chain rollers, which if there's any friction will roll rather than drag and thus wear is essentially reduced to zero barring any lubrication issues.

However, based upon your comments there appears to be some durabilty issues with the chain guide material, that even if it doesn't fall prey to mechanical failure (fracture, etc.) it will at some point wear out.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

I was referring to your engines. I have been a loyal fan of Mobile 1 for many years. I know it has gone through an evolution or de-evolution one could say. I am open to better ways of doing most anything to include oil. You could never make enough money just re-selling oil, so when you put your experience and company behind the engines you build the oil you recommend carries a lot of weight. You already have my next engine order when needed. So lets get the secret on the streets.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was referring to your engines. I have been a loyal fan of Mobile 1 for many years. I know it has gone through an evolution or de-evolution one could say. I am open to better ways of doing most anything to include oil. You could never make enough money just re-selling oil, so when you put your experience and company behind the engines you build the oil you recommend carries a lot of weight. You already have my next engine order when needed. So lets get the secret on the streets
The problem with any other recommendation is the flack thats created when contradicting Porsche's recommendations.. Thats something I have zero time for..

The best way to get our oil recommendation is to buy the engine from us, then we monitor your oil samples and provide updated recommendations on oil as the elemental composition changes.

All I am willing to say is we don't use Mobil 1 :-) I am not trying to be secretive, just trying to stay away from lubricant related debates..
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM
THXBABE
Instructor

Playing hard to get eh?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Nope, just trying to stay out of trouble... All it takes is recommendation that **alledgedly** leads to an engine failure to cost me a lot of money..

But more than that it only causes debates that no one can win. Oil is THE MOST critical topic, responsible for more debates than most anything else..
Old 01-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Nope, just trying to stay out of trouble... All it takes is recommendation that **alledgedly** leads to an engine failure to cost me a lot of money..

But more than that it only causes debates that no one can win. Oil is THE MOST critical topic, responsible for more debates than most anything else..
You are a wise man, indeed.

I too, don't use nor recommend that stuff anymore for all the same reasons but this subject shares everything with religion & politics.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:10 PM
D.C.
Instructor

YIKES !!!!

Now I am really worried. I use Mobil 1 in all my cars.

I must say that I understand your position, but to make that statement and not provide an alternative recomendation, is not very nice.

It might have been better off to say nothing.

Having said that, I would welcome a PM with a recomendation.

I do not wish to debate, or discuss, I only want to drive my cars without worry. I do have a great respect for your opinions (Jake and Steve). Please share.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

subject shares everything with religion & politics.
But its only worse...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all the contradictory information out there on oil.... I am thinking of changing to Olive Oil.

Hopefully my oil change frequency of half the recommended (Porsche) time will save me from some of this misery.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Ah, yes oil analysis. I use it on all my performance vehicles. Actually only two. A carry over from my aviation days. I personally use BlackStone Labs. Good folks. From what you said earlier I was going to ask them to look for any traces of the tension block pads in my next sample. I am pretty **** so I also have all the filter elements from every oil change. I inspect them as well for any visual particulate matter. None found so far. Since I do not have a pad handy, what material should we be looking for.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

I have used Panama Jack suntan oil in an engine that I tried to blow on purpose.. It ran for 5 minutes at WOT and never had a failure except the camshaft snapped in half.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Ah, yes oil analysis. I use it on all my performance vehicles. Actually only two. A carry over from my aviation days. I personally use BlackStone Labs. Good folks. From what you said earlier I was going to ask them to look for any traces of the tension block pads in my next sample. I am pretty **** so I also have all the filter elements from every oil change. I inspect them as well for any visual particulate matter. None found so far. Since I do not have a pad handy, what material should we be looking for.
Do you have contact info for them? And how much do they charge for this oil inspection?

I've been hearing that lifter tap on start up lately so its got me wonderin' about oil.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

BlackStone Laboratories link:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Quick Reply: Is it really IMS failure?? Carnage pics and detail within!