Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Is A Tip Ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 12:33 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Prefer a manual in the tt, not my dd, (although I've dd manual turbos for years). Having said that, I did drive a turbo tip a few times at barber, very fast!
Old 02-28-2017, 03:02 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My previous 993 was manual. My 997TT is a tip. For me, I have no preference between manual or auto. They both have their pros/cons.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

My first Pcar was a Tip 997 C2S. My advise to you while you are still unsure.

test drive a Tip. Drive it like you stole it. Its quite a sports car and you will enjoy it.
And I am sure if you get a Tip TT, it will be more exciting.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:24 PM
thegrayman
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I pulled the trigger on the tip because it was cheaper and I live in a very traffic-heavy area, so even when going out for a drive it's hard to avoid at least some stop-and-go. I've had manual "weekend" cars in the past but I truly hate traffic in a manual (even one with an easy clutch).

To its credit, I drove a manual and it was a super smooth gearbox, I could tell it was very high quality. My only gripe with the manual was that first gear is very short, and also with such a powerful car I was super paranoid about shifting into the wrong gear when going hard on it, though I imagine that feeling passes once you get some time in.

The tip has exceeded my expectations so far. Yes, it has its downsides and takes forever to shift compared to the pdk, but the joy of brake-boosting it and launching hard enough to scare the hell out of my passengers makes it all better. Looking to tune it in the near future.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 AM
dson32
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be one of the only people who currently have two 997TT's, an 09 manual and an 07 Tip.

I daily drove the 09 manual for 1.5 years, but since I live in Los Angeles, always thought about getting an automatic daily driver.
Early last year, I purchased an 06 C2 Tip and found the transmission is a good transmission. The C2 was nice and a bit more raw (I guess since it's naturally aspirated), but the Turbo is so much more refined/luxurious, powerful, and torque-y, which makes it a great daily driver. Late last year, I ended up trading my C2 and considered a 987S Boxster in a PDK vs. a 997TT with a Tip.
Because of the back seat, more comfortable ride, and better investment (don't think 997TT's will lose anymore value), I went with a 997TT Tip.
I do feel redundant having two 997TT's, but there's honestly nothing else I would get for the money.

As for the Tip vs. the manual, the Manual is definitely more engaging and I feel I have more control. I find myself enjoying the Tip more than I thought. I can drink coffee, munch on food, and other things safely with my Tip. I also find myself driving faster overall because of the gearing (seems to get more Torque at normal driving speeds). The Tip is very smooth and since these cars have so much power, I don't seem I'm missing much from performance. Also my fiance likes taking driving the Tip.

Now if I had to sell one of my cars, I would definitely sell the Tip because the manual car just seems more special.
What you should also heavily consider, is waiting for the right optioned car. My cars seem very different because one has a lot more options than my other car (sport bucket seats, rear wiper, seat warmer, parking sensors, thicker steering wheel, leather dash, ceramic breaks).
Old 03-01-2017, 03:51 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I get the sense that the tip feels faster in a straight line. I guess it technically is faster. Again, as someone who will never track the car, I find that encouraging. I honestly think I'd be happy with the tip, especially from a dead stop. In the end, I have options. So that's a good thing
Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 AM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
...test drive a Tip. Drive it like you stole it. Its quite a sports car and you will enjoy it.
^^^This. Please drive it like you stole it before making up your mind. My (996) Tip really wakes up under high G cornering and braking. She instantly locks in her most aggressive shift map and becomes a different beast.

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I get the sense that the tip feels faster in a straight line. I guess it technically is faster. Again, as someone who will never track the car, I find that encouraging. I honestly think I'd be happy with the tip, especially from a dead stop. In the end, I have options. So that's a good thing
Don't think of writing Turbo Tips off for twisties and track runs either though. They can even still win races and autocrosses against today's GTs when driven hard enough, especially with a bit of a tune and minor mods.

I know that's not why you're buying her, but at least you know she'll be capable of keeping up fine with a manual in a canyon.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:57 PM
vettenomore
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had two concerns when I was looking at the 997TT I eventually bought last year - in was a cab and had tip. I have never owned an AT sports car before and wasn't sure I would be satisfied with the tip trans. I made peace with the idea of a cab early-on because I was used to removing the top on my corvettes and wanted the open air experience. I have to say that I do not miss the MT nearly as much as I thought I would. For me, the car is a completely different animal when switched to "sport" and put in manual shift mode. I feel I have more control of the car and I like the engine response when I can keep the rpms in a little higher range than is normal in auto trans mode.

In short, the 997TT I was looking at got down to a price I couldn't ignore and I bought it and have been completely happy with the car. There are some people who have to have MT and I completely understand that - I also understand now that I'm not one of those people.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 PM
khiroshima
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, no right answer here . . . every decision in life has advantages and disadvantages. I never would have imagined that I would have been satisfied with a PDK (automatic) in a sports car . . . I am. No, I'm not justifying the decision I have already made, I am just saying that for how I use my car, the utility just went through the roof for me.

Do I miss a MT? Yep. When I had a MT, did I wish I could occasionally have access to an auto? Yep. Traffic is pretty bad in the Bay Area (like many places), I like two pedal option and the perfect shifts. Good luck in your decision, good problem to have! KH
Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Tip and a Manual....While I sometimes enjoy shifting, I get tired of it pretty quickly. In Sport Mode and clicking the shifter on the Tip...I do not feel like I have lost anything and quite enjoy it when I get it just right. Also, the thing is a rocket at the 1/2 mile airstrip races...Quite fun!

I have been quite happy with my Tip, but as others have said...personal preference. Ask 10 people that question and you will get 15 answers

Can't go wrong either way...It's a Porsche!

Good luck,
DC
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never driven a non-standard car.
I'll switch to auto/tip/PDK/ when I can't afford a 6 speed manual.

I take it electric cars don't have manual transmissions

Quick Reply: When Is A Tip Ok?