Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does PASM work well on a car that has been lightened?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:42 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does PASM work well on a car that has been lightened?

Does anyone know if the PASM suspension continues to work well after a car has been significantly lightened? (By lightened, I mean 50-100 kg (more in the front, unfortunately), not to the extent possible when preparing a race car.)

(I’m interested in converting a 4wd 997 to 2wd (which will lighten it), so I also started a thread yesterday to ask if anyone knows if the 2wd and 4wd PASM systems have the same software and effective damping rate. And I started a thread similar to this one on the regular 997 forum - sorry for any redundancy, but from my (limited) experience, it seems not everyone who uses this forum also regularly visits the regular forum.)

I know that with some cars, if you remove this kind of weight, the ride height increases and you need shorter springs. And if the car had a conventional suspension, I would just get some good coilovers and be done with it. But I quite like the adaptive (PASM) suspension. And since changing dampers isn’t really an option if one wants to keep PASM (based on this Forum, I’m not thrilled by the Bilstein idea), I’m wondering if the PASM dampers are really compatible with a lighter car.

And if PASM won’t work well on a lighter car, anyone know of any fixes, e.g. with software or software settings to make the car think its a 2wd model? (Ideally fixes that won’t kill the Porsche used car warranty. (I know the 4wd to 2wd conversion would kill it, but I suspect that can be reversed fairly invisibly.))

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Does PASM work well on a car that has been lightened?