Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Glad it worked!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Is this procedure different than the steps outlined in the owner's manual? I've successfully programmed my Homelink system to our front gate and two different garage door openers without issue. I followed the steps in the manual, which appear to be the same as the steps in this thread. Just curious....
Same here. I followed the operators manual without success but step 4 was the missing step that worked

Last edited by estrellajon; 08-30-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Got it. That was most likely in the owner's manual for the garage door opener rather than the Porsche owner's manual! I guess I've programmed enough of them that it never occurred to me that someone wouldn't do that step, so I never had an issue.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:12 PM
raolc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DJ's instructions have always worked for me in the past but this time was really a struggle.

In the end I discovered two thing's to get it working:

1) There's a limit to how many remotes you can program. If it's not working, you might need to reset the motor's memory and start over (which was the case for me). Instructions for that are here: http://geniehelp.com/genie-intellico...tructions.html

2) Some remotes require that you use certain buttons. In my example my remote had 3 buttons and for some reason it was stated somewhere that I needed to use the 2 smaller buttons. Not sure if this was the issue for me, since I did this at the same time that I tried #1 .

Now it's finally working for me!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:55 PM
StrongPizzaMan
6th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Mystery solved. I have a new garage door opener with the Internet connectivity. Apparently, I need a repeater as the new remotes are a different frequency than older versions of homelink support. My door opener is only compatible with Homelink 4.0 and above...
http://site.garageintel.com/LiftMast...822.1416163384

My door opener won't work with any of my 4 cars Homelink systems...
Agree 100%. If you are having trouble getting your car to take the remote code (getting the fogs to flash 3x), and have a newer garage door opener (2013+), my advice is to go to the homelink website for porsche and see if the instructions for your car indicate the potential need for a homelink compatibility bridge.
http://www.homelink.com/porsche

My chamberlain has a yellow wire which indicates it is on a newer security protocol. I probably spent an hour trying to get things it to pair with my 2007 before I finally gave up and called. It took <5 minutes with a rep to determine that I needed the bridge. Their website really should just list out that the car is incompatible. I'm assuming that if you see the disclaimer that you *might* need the bridge, then you probably do. It's bad publicity for these manufacturers to simply state that your car is not compatible.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I have a 2016 garage door opener in a new house.

First time with 3 different doors and 2 Porsches and 2 lesser vehicles, have not been able to get it.

Am going to look into the bridge when I have time.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:47 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume by "bridge" you guys are talking about a repeater. I got mine free by contacting Homelink -- do that and hopefully they send you one for free as well!
Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

when you call for a free repeater, the secret (IIRC) was having a vehicle of certain make and vintage that "qualified" for the free repeater. I had to install mine on the gate controller (equivalent to the garage door controller) in order for my MY03 Lexus homelink to work.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:07 PM
retlas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast forward a few more years...

Just had 3 new openers installed and I can say for certain that the new security-focussed openers are not compatible with our old pcar homelink system.

Had to buy a chamberlain homelink repeater to get it to work. 45 minutes of messing around with the new system... installed repeater and programmed in 30 seconds.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 PM
RBCar
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Finally took the time to really try and program my home link today. And yes it finally worked. For those who are still having an issue here is how I finally accomplished it.

1.) Clear any codes by pressig the outer 1 and 3 buttons simultaneously until the diode (to the right) starts to flash quickly.
2.) Then press the desired button you want to program until the diode begins to flash slowly.
3.) Hold tansmitter approx. 12 inches in front of bumper and press transmit button on remote until the daytime driving lights flash 3 times.
4.) Now press the "learn" button on the motor box of your garage door opener. A red indicator light will flash on the box. I had to use a ladder to do this and park my car just in front of the garage so that it would pick up the signal. Once the red learning light flashes get back in your car and push the same button that you are programing repeatedly until the garage door responds to the programmed button. I had to push my program button 4 times to learn the code, and have the garage door respond to the new signal.

That was it. You will know if you have a "learn" button on your motor box. Most motor boxes that have a little wire hanging down from them are learn, applicable boxes.

For those who have had a difficult time programming home link, try this. If it sitll doesn't work then call Home Link themselves to assist you. They have a 800 number on the internet to call.

Jay
FINALLY living that good life... no more tacky annoying clicker for me!! I followed Jay’s instructions in his message right at the beginning of this thread (quoted above).

Owners manual instructions seem to make it sound like you should do one or the other, use a hand clicker at the front of the vehicle, or use the learn button on the door motor. These instructions to combine both processes works. Finally!

A few details to note from my experience...

I’m not sure how many times I had to press my homelink button in the car at the end after pressing the “learn” button on the door motor to get it to sync but I think it was at least 4 times, if not more. I just stared at the light on the garage door motor watching for it to light up which meant the car link button was working and activating closing the door.

Also, I took the advice to block the laser safety beam at the bottom of the garage door to keep the door from shutting during setup.

I backed my car out of the garage just far enough so that the garage door could close without clipping the front of the car. Then I opened the fronk. Then started the process.

Also, note that if none of the 3 available homelink buttons in the car are currently synced to anything (all blank) then it seems you don’t have to/can’t hold the 1st and 3rd buttons to do a full clearing and make the light blink slowly.... it will start blinking slowly immediately when you press any button at all. This is because there is nothing to clear. Just simply press one time the button you are wanting to sync to your door and the light will blink slowly meaning it’s ready for you to use the clicker at the front of the car.

I held the hand clicker about 8” away from the front of the car, about 8” to the passenger side of center. I pressed the main open/close button on the hand clicker and held it pressed until I saw the fog lights blink and held it until they stopped blinking.

Hell yeah! Thanks!
Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Man, I so wish I had a buddy in Gaithersburg MD that could help me with this. I've tried this all many times but can't get it to work. I use the tacky garage door opener on the sunvisor that came with my garage door since I gave up on this 5 years ago when I got my 2012. If anyone lives in Gaithersburg (Kentlands area) is able to meet me at my house one night to help me give this thing a whirl, please let me know. So frustrating... I'm obviously not tech oriented and am happy to just use the tacky GDO for the rest of my life but would prefer not to. I'll have a bunch of swag (cool giveaways) from my company to give away to you if you can help ;o).
Old 12-21-2019, 05:31 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

This has got to be one of the most useful threads that I stumbled upon.

Last edited by earlyapex; 12-24-2019 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2019, 06:24 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Shave next time...
The following 2 users liked this post by nzskater:
VRV000 (12-23-2019), wfu1997 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 10:38 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Shave next time...
I've been exposed. Time to shave and correct my spelling.
The following 2 users liked this post by earlyapex:
nzskater (12-25-2019), wfu1997 (12-24-2019)
Old 01-05-2020, 12:49 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

It's great to see my post still living strong. Glad I could contribute something back to the forum.

Jay

Quick Reply: Home Link problems.