Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 EXHAUST UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 AM
Ammein
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 997 GT2 EXHAUST UPGRADE

I personally like the sound of how the stock GT2 sounds like. To me it sounds like a jet sucking all the air it can around it when the windows are down or when the car is under full acceleration passing you
However most guys think its vacuum like, too quite. I see where these guys are coming from but lets face it, which other car sounds like a jet glued to the ground?

I'm now thinking of getting an upgraded exhaust but I don't want something too loud, I want something like stock but a bit louder with a bit of character, and good quality.
So far after doing back and forth research I'm leaning a lot towards the Europipe.

Every upside has a downside. With the GT2 being such a limited production car there aren't lots of videos to compare these exhausts from tuners.

The only video I could find online of a GT2 with a Europipe stage 2 is this right here:
http://www.facebook.com/stertmanmoto...type=2&theater

I love the cracks when the gas is let off This is actually the most thing I like about the Europipe's sound. I'm just wondering how it would sound like when the car is moving..

Another thing is I am planning on leaving my car stock apart from the exhaust (no ECU tune or such for the moment as I have warranty which is bound to expire by the end of this year). With that being said how much hp/ torque do you guys think this is going to add to the car (with it being 100 cell cats compared to most other exhausts on the market having 200 cell cats)??
Also, will the boost build up quicker and hold more?

I'd also appreciate it if guys with GT2 would give their opinion about stock exhausts and share their experience with what exhausts upgrades they've gone for is they have!!!

Last edited by Ammein; 01-24-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Ammein
Track Day

Facebook Post

Last edited by Ammein; 01-24-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:25 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the Sharkwerks pipe on mine. Perfect to my ears. Purrs like a kitten when cruising, roars like a lion when you get on it. No cabin drone, no cat changes.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Ammein
Track Day

Reid55 I'm guessing no increase in hp or torque considering you have stock cats? They're a nice swap. The Sharkwerks was between one of the choices I was considering.
What are your thoughts on the Europipe stage 2?
Old 01-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Sharkwerks. Won't transform it to roar like a gt3 but it sounds good and keeps existing cats in place if you are tying to keep oe as much as possible.

As far as power, I've never driven my 2rs and thought "man, this thing isn't fast enough.... I wish it had more power." Instead I think "I can't control this thing; it scares me; I need to get back in one of my 'slow' gt3's."
Old 01-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

+1 Europipe
Old 01-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Ammein
Track Day

Jrtaylor9: I totally agree with you in terms of power!! Its just too much to handle most of the time, and then when she's finally going straight you look at the speedo and realize you'll get your license taken away from you if you get caught by the cops ,especially if you have a GT2 RS

Have you done anything to your 2RS?

A few months ago (beginning of November) I was thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust. Then however as the temperature here in Abu Dhabi started to get cooler you could start driving with the windows down. As I started to do so and go through more tunnels I started to hear more clearly that jet sound and forgot about changing the exhaust. Then recently I went out with for a nice drive with a couple of friends. One of them also had a GT2, and it wasn't until only until after I heard his GT2 that I started thinking about an aftermarket exhaust once again.
The chap recently bought his beast with a few upgrades such as the RS look and an exhaust, (he was told its a Fabspeed exhaust but I'm not 100% sure if it is). I checked under the car but couldn't see the X pipe design of Fabspeed so I was doubting whether if it was indeed Fabspeed or I just couldn't get a proper look to tell.
Anyways, so after hearing how it was screamed I decided that I must get something done. So here I am again looking for advice.
As I said so far my top priority right now is Europipe based on what people have said they experienced quality wise, and yes I agree that more power is something not needed, but then again more power is more power. A man can never say no to that
Old 01-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Ammein
Track Day

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
+1 Europipe
Johnny, any experience with Europipe?
Old 01-24-2016, 05:31 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammein
I personally like the sound of how the stock GT2 sounds like. To me it sounds like a jet sucking all the air it can around it when the windows are down or when the car is under full acceleration passing you
However most guys think its vacuum like, too quite. I see where these guys are coming from but lets face it, which other car sounds like a jet glued to the ground?

I'm now thinking of getting an upgraded exhaust but I don't want something too loud, I want something like stock but a bit louder with a bit of character, and good quality.
So far after doing back and forth research I'm leaning a lot towards the Europipe.

Every upside has a downside. With the GT2 being such a limited production car there aren't lots of videos to compare these exhausts from tuners.

The only video I could find online of a GT2 with a Europipe stage 2 is this right here:
http://www.facebook.com/stertmanmoto...type=2&theater

I love the cracks when the gas is let off This is actually the most thing I like about the Europipe's sound. I'm just wondering how it would sound like when the car is moving..

Another thing is I am planning on leaving my car stock apart from the exhaust (no ECU tune or such for the moment as I have warranty which is bound to expire by the end of this year). With that being said how much hp/ torque do you guys think this is going to add to the car (with it being 100 cell cats compared to most other exhausts on the market having 200 cell cats)??
Also, will the boost build up quicker and hold more?

I'd also appreciate it if guys with GT2 would give their opinion about stock exhausts and share their experience with what exhausts upgrades they've gone for is they have!!!
This is a stage 2 cat-less europipe pass around 150mph
The GT2s have a much different sound profile than the 997 turbos , they have less drone and i don't know how to explain it but the sound is very exotic.
my stage 2 is perfectly fine , it is not loud and is very usable and has no drone whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No change in performance.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

I get the feeling that you like them loud and fast?!
+ I had a 2008 GT2 that I sold 20mo. ago. I installed the A/M Akrapovic. Installed great, looked great, but it was too loud for me.
+ Reid55 has always been positive on the SW exhaust.
+ And the 7TT guys tend to like EP.
+ I also had a Tubi on my '07TT which I would rate OK

I am guessing that you don't need the Cat because of where you live...
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 AM
Ammein
Track Day

Originally Posted by Igooz
I get the feeling that you like them loud and fast?!
+ I had a 2008 GT2 that I sold 20mo. ago. I installed the A/M Akrapovic. Installed great, looked great, but it was too loud for me.
+ Reid55 has always been positive on the SW exhaust.
+ And the 7TT guys tend to like EP.
+ I also had a Tubi on my '07TT which I would rate OK

I am guessing that you don't need the Cat because of where you live...
I'm actually not wanting it to be too loud as I personally already love the way the GT2 sounds as it is in stock.
For now I'm most likely going to have the cats on as I'm not planning on tuning the car, so the 100 cell cats that come with the Europipe sounds good so far..
Old 01-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Ammein
Track Day

Originally Posted by TTurbine
This is a stage 2 cat-less europipe pass around 150mph
The GT2s have a much different sound profile than the 997 turbos , they have less drone and i don't know how to explain it but the sound is very exotic.
my stage 2 is perfectly fine , it is not loud and is very usable and has no drone whatsoever.
VID-20120504-00000 - YouTube

TTurbine! I was wondering if you had your Europipe initially installed with the 100 cell cats that come with the Europipe exhaust before you went catless on the system. If so, how does it sound like with the cats?
& could you hear those cracks when you let go off the throttle under hard throttle or is it only as the boost builds up and you let go off the throttle?

Btw I saw your video of your car on track with the EP backfiring… Man oh man that video should be xxx rated
Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM
TTurbine
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ammein
TTurbine! I was wondering if you had your Europipe initially installed with the 100 cell cats that come with the Europipe exhaust before you went catless on the system. If so, how does it sound like with the cats?
& could you hear those cracks when you let go off the throttle under hard throttle or is it only as the boost builds up and you let go off the throttle?

Btw I saw your video of your car on track with the EP backfiring… Man oh man that video should be xxx rated
Actually i ordered it cat-less so I'm not sure how it will sound with the cats..
It makes all those crackling sounds with a whoosh whistle that makes you feel like a teenager...

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 EXHAUST UPGRADE