Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Who Daily Drives Their GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:40 AM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who Daily Drives Their GT3?

I've been toying with the idea of selling the Turbo and buying a .2 GT3.

Any in here crazy enough to daily drive a GT3?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 AM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

i don't daily drive my .2 GT3, but only because i see too many fender benders on my short commute to work and the roads i take to the office are fairly boring.

i think if you have to deal with a lot of stop and go traffic, the heavy clutch could be a detractor, but the GT3 has actually made me wish the clutch in my RS4 was a bit heavier.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Sell the turbo and get the GT3. You will never look back. I traded my .1 turbo for a .1 GT3 and glad I did. Yes, you can DD the GT3.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:49 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Saru above, I also try to avoid driving my .1 GT3 in heavy traffic, esp the stop and go sort of rush hour traffic. Two days ago I did have to bring my daughter's Mini back from some dealer work up in Charlotte in heavy traffic and was just amazed at the dangerous, aggressive and just plain stupid driving. I had to brake hard for some young woman who pulled right across my front, and as i cautioned her with a horn blast, she flipped me off as I came to a halt.

But I have no trepidation in daily driving a car lacking in driver comfort. I had a Superformance 427 Cobra replica for a decade, sold it about 4 years ago. Because my wife insisted I sell my much modified AWD turbo Eclipse, it promptly became my only car to drive. That is why it had over 140,000 miles on it when I sold it. Drove it daily, rain, snow, traffic, long trip, short trip, sometimes in temps down to the mid 20's, top off. Also thousands of track miles with I or my son driving, and over 100 drag strip runs.

You can commute in anything as long as you make "acommidations ", on the back of an elephant, camel, dog sled, Ariel Atom, or your GT3.

I still greatly miss my Cobra, but when year around gas became always 10% Ethanol, I just couldn't keep the race Holley from percolating and stalling.

the last picture I have of it, the day I took it back to Olthoff Racing, who sold it for me.

All the best....
Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you could easily daily drive a GT3 if you didn't have a lot of stop and go traffic since the clutch is so heavy. Otherwise on normal PASM mode and with stock seats it would be a breeze.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 AM
TheInfamousDrew
Racer

Originally Posted by NAM VET
Two days ago I did have to bring my daughter's Mini back from some dealer work up in Charlotte in heavy traffic and was just amazed at the dangerous, aggressive and just plain stupid driving. I had to brake hard for some young woman who pulled right across my front, and as i cautioned her with a horn blast, she flipped me off as I came to a halt.
Ah I see we're in the same area. I live down in Lake Wylie on the SC side.
I feel for you having to drive on Independence Blvd, that road is atrocious!
When either car needs to go to Hendrick, I dread having to take it in. Not so much because of the distance but having to deal with all the construction, potholes, and asshat drivers. The Cayenne recently had to go in and they were nice enough to come pick it up, drop off a loaner and do the same when the service was complete.

My commute is an easy one for now. Currently I come up hwy 49 from Lake Wylie to the Carowinds area. Occasionally, I do have to go uptown for meetings which still isn't so bad since I leave early.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 PM
JamesP
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

My GT3 used to be my only car until couple of months ago. Work from home so no daily commute to contend with either. Something that is not often mentioned in these discussions is the pyscological effect of driving it each day. To me it lost the 'specialness'. I now have a E46 M3 for daily use and it feels so mild compared to the GT3. When I jump in the GT3 I'm reminded of how much fun it is to drive. It's gone back to being a GT3 rather than just the car I drive.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

I've been daily driving my 996 GT3 for a bit over a month. It's a blast. The new pdk-only cars would - imo - be even easier to use as there's no extra pedal to deal with in heavy traffic. Yeah it's a bumpy ride, but nobody ever bought a GT3 for the plush ride. Want to hear the stereo? Buy a Camry.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:02 PM
entityx
Racer

I daily drove my 7.1 GT3 for almost 2 years and put around 40K miles on it in the process. My daily commute is 50 miles round trip and the roads in SF are horrible (like paying pinball with trying to avoid the pot holes). I have no regrets doing it, even given how bad traffic is around here. I no longer daily drive it, but still find myself occasionally driving it to work 2-3 days a week.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You could daily drive a GT3. In fact, my current daily is probably a worse daily drive than my GT3 (2015 Subaru STi, I need AWD for the snow and I decided to get a fun sporty Subaru, was a dumb idea, should have gotten a BMW 328xi but I digress).

But really, Honda Fit, Hyundai whatevers, their leases go for like 100-200-something a month. Just a more sensible option.

Hell. a 320i is like just shy of 300 a month nowadays if you get one that's fairly decontented. And that's a comfy drive, plus it gets great mileage. the 320i went from LA to Vegas, explored Valley of Fire, did Vegas driving, then drove back to LA on one tank of gas with fuel left over in the tank for the remainder of the week.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

DD my GT3. Give me the motivation to go to work each day!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I live/work in the bay area and I don't DD my GT3 because traffic here is horrific. I ride my motorcycle(s) 90% of the time. I do want to drive it, but i'd hate sitting in traffic when i can carpool and lanesplit, i literally save about 1-2 hours of my day not having to drive.

if i did drive to work, i'd probably get a leaf, you can carpool, and you can charge it at work for free. porsche might be onto something here with an all electric 911.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

I drive my GT3 as a DD car for at least 3-4 weeks in a row every 2-3 months, then switch to use another of my cars. Most of my commute is on highway. It can be done. I really enjoy driving the GT3...
Old 09-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The funny question you asked if there is anybody here crazy enough..

Most folks here are nuts, me included.. No I don't daily drive my GT3 either, and just purchased a trailer to bring her to the track as I was putting too many miles going to certain favourite tracks.

My 0.02cents
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah.

Quick Reply: Who Daily Drives Their GT3?