Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New 997 GT3 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM
iapgt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 997 GT3 owner

Hi everyone, I am a new GT3 owner and new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2007 Porsche GT3 that was a previous forum member Creaminz. This is my first Porsche. I have a small shop in Northern Virginia and was looking for a new shop car. I'm not a fan of the color and several other things so will be changing a lot of things. After actually getting the car in my hands and putting it on a lift I will be changing much more than I originally planned. So now I have made a long long list of parts that will be getting changed. Along with a complete disassemble of the car. I took a lot of pics of the car in its current (delivered) condition and will document the rebuild. I was honestly shocked by many things I found. Here was the car at SEMA

And here it is on my lift the other day when I was looking it over and making the list of things needed.

I took about 50 pics when it was on the lift documenting a bunch of things that where wrong or just subpar. I messaged the previous owner and his response was that, "the car was fine when I had it" and nothing else. So I have no choice but to make this car right. I will try to post up pics as I have them. Here is just a brief list of some things that will be going on:

Custom set of wheels being made now

JRZ coilovers

Full GMG suspension upgrades (with a proper alignment and corner balance)

Custom dyno tune

Replacing several other stock suspension parts that have paint over spray on them. The paint job looks like a Maaco paint job currently.

Either powdercoating the calipers or going with a new set of StopTechs for front and rear. The calipers are currently 3 colors because they where sprayed on the front and the back are still yellow. They are very ugly.

Install proper bracing throughout the car and get rid of the tons of self taping screws and zipties.

Full repaint and body work. All of the new panels on the car have waves all in it. So we are going to completely break the car down so that everything is painted. The roll bar is going to be removed and repainted. Going to slightly modify the roll bar so the new harness has a better place to mount.

Some carbon fiber parts are being made for the wing, splitters, and other small items.

The engine has a rear main seal oil leak so going to fix that also.

That's the list for right now. Once the car is completely straight and in proper condition I will look at what I originally had planned for and that is an engine build. But I am not gong to worry about that until after the car is in a condition that it deserves.

I really look forward to being a part of the forum. If anyone has suggestions for the new paint color I am open I haven't decided for sure on that.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Shivatron
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your initial troubles. Did the problem areas show up on a PPI? (Assuming you got one, that is.)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 193 Posts

What a bummer. I guess that's the definition of a "show" car. I just hope you paid pennies on the dollar for it because it didn't seem worth even half of what the previous owner was asking for it...

Best of luck with the rebuild, hopefully you'll make a great lemonade out of this lemon.

Last edited by ilko; 01-22-2015 at 12:33 PM. Reason: sentence structure fail...
Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Ouch. Really sorry that this is your first experience into GT3 ownership. The old adage of "buy the seller, not the car" holds true. His reply back to you when you voiced your concerns was very disappointing. Probably won't hear from him on this forum again as he is most likely off to mod another Honda, or desecrate another high end exotic.

Good luck in restoring the car to your liking and standards. They are amazingly wonderful cars right out of the box and even more so when set up to your wants/needs. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike
Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean the seller didn't give his profits to charity? He promised.

Good luck with the post purchase work. If it's worth it, you can always go to court for misrepresentation. I've done that, and I included the PPI shop in the same suit.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:00 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by iapgt3
Hi everyone, I am a new GT3 owner and new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2007 Porsche GT3 that was a previous forum member Creaminz. This is my first Porsche. I have a small shop in Northern Virginia and was looking for a new shop car. I'm not a fan of the color and several other things so will be changing a lot of things. After actually getting the car in my hands and putting it on a lift I will be changing much more than I originally planned. So now I have made a long long list of parts that will be getting changed. Along with a complete disassemble of the car. I took a lot of pics of the car in its current (delivered) condition and will document the rebuild. I was honestly shocked by many things I found. Here was the car at SEMA

And here it is on my lift the other day when I was looking it over and making the list of things needed.

I took about 50 pics when it was on the lift documenting a bunch of things that where wrong or just subpar. I messaged the previous owner and his response was that, "the car was fine when I had it" and nothing else. So I have no choice but to make this car right. I will try to post up pics as I have them. Here is just a brief list of some things that will be going on:

Custom set of wheels being made now

JRZ coilovers

Full GMG suspension upgrades (with a proper alignment and corner balance)

Custom dyno tune

Replacing several other stock suspension parts that have paint over spray on them. The paint job looks like a Maaco paint job currently.

Either powdercoating the calipers or going with a new set of StopTechs for front and rear. The calipers are currently 3 colors because they where sprayed on the front and the back are still yellow. They are very ugly.

Install proper bracing throughout the car and get rid of the tons of self taping screws and zipties.

Full repaint and body work. All of the new panels on the car have waves all in it. So we are going to completely break the car down so that everything is painted. The roll bar is going to be removed and repainted. Going to slightly modify the roll bar so the new harness has a better place to mount.

Some carbon fiber parts are being made for the wing, splitters, and other small items.

The engine has a rear main seal oil leak so going to fix that also.

That's the list for right now. Once the car is completely straight and in proper condition I will look at what I originally had planned for and that is an engine build. But I am not gong to worry about that until after the car is in a condition that it deserves.

I really look forward to being a part of the forum. If anyone has suggestions for the new paint color I am open I haven't decided for sure on that.
Where are you located in NVA?
Old 01-22-2015, 04:07 PM
kchu221
Banned

that is ****ed up in many ways... ive dealt with the same seller before but with parts instead of cars but didn't have any issues..
Old 01-22-2015, 05:04 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on your GT3 ownership and sorry for the various issues you're having. the car looked great in photos and was awarded a few items at SEMA. but i guess a lot of that can be covered up
Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I hate to armchair quarterback this, but with a modified car, it really is a case of "carpe diem".

I hope you got a bargain, because frankly, from my perspective all of the work done to that car, defaced it, and thus reduced its value, if it was going to be an expendable track rat (or custom show car) that might be ok, but as a "GT3" ... she's definitely not a virgin anymore...
Old 01-22-2015, 05:48 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 38 Posts

That's so messed up and he flaunts himself as some super car builder. Check him out on IG by the same screen name. Bragging about how many cars he "produced" last year. He's on to having a RWB built now.

With that said. Best of luck with the rebuild and I look forward to following along with the updates
Old 01-22-2015, 06:18 PM
docdan
Instructor

Congrats on buying a bad-*** looking car. Ignore the folks on here who don't like the styling, we have a large purist contingent here. That said, it looks like you are the perfect buyer for this car as you can fix all of the minor problems yourself, all the while upgrading it. I look forward to seeing your re-build.

Dan
Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan
Congrats on buying a bad-*** looking car. Ignore the folks on here who don't like the styling, we have a large purist contingent here. That said, it looks like you are the perfect buyer for this car as you can fix all of the minor problems yourself, all the while upgrading it. I look forward to seeing your re-build.

Dan
"Fix all of the minor problems yourself"? Please pass the pipe dude....l
Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, it will be a great build when correctly done! One-of-a-kind indefinitely.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:41 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Unfortunately I'm not surprised that the work was done poorly...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:59 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

When you get the chance, would you mind posting pics of the shoddy work?

Quick Reply: New 997 GT3 owner