Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sonoma Raceway 11/1

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
Man, that's crazy to me! HOD usually runs a good event too. Shame on Sim's Raceway for putting down the ban hammer.
Before the blame is placed on HOD (although they should take some blame for allowing this person to even register), it was explicitly stated that first timers were NOT allowed at the event and that all drivers must be signed off for solo driving at a prior event before attending this Sonoma event. That driver decided to ignore those rules and stipulations, placing himself and others at risk.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:17 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Before the blame is placed on HOD (although they should take some blame for allowing this person to even register), it was explicitly stated that first timers were NOT allowed at the event and that all drivers must be signed off for solo driving at a prior event before attending this Sonoma event. That driver decided to ignore those rules and stipulations, placing himself and others at risk.
Tough to audit prior experience - I agree the responsibility is on the driver
Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audipwr1
there is that detailed of a line handbook? Wow

Seemed a tad late to me, but everyone has their own method on T2 - I confess I lack consistency and speed there
Yah, the approach to T2 is a bit difficult to figure out. The PCA handbook says to use the uphill bank for grip and braking, and ends your left arc at the end of the entry berm, so my own take is that you will use a bigger arc to arrive there. HOD's instructor video shows his car uses a smaller arc and arrives at the beginning of the entry berm, but Corvette factory drivers who were giving demo rides at the event used a bigger arc, similar to what PCA recommends. I don't know which one is better, but given the high speed coming out of T1, I thought bigger arc is easier to manage. A quick stab on the brake, downshift to 3rd, and turn in is my approach.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Ah, sorry, I wasn't pointing fingers. HOD runs a good show, I know a few of the guys behind the scenes and they are solid individuals.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ah, sorry, I wasn't pointing fingers. HOD runs a good show, I know a few of the guys behind the scenes and they are solid individuals.
No need to apologize. I'm the one pointing fingers. My finger is pointed squarely at a 991GT3 that felt he was above the rules and showed up to an event that he wasn't qualified for. It happens all the time, unfortunately, which is the reason we see so many incidents on track.

I could never figure out why so many people think they are above rules and have delusions that they know how to drive without any proper training.

I'll get off my soap box now...
Old 11-03-2014, 10:41 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

No need to apologize. I'm the one pointing fingers. My finger is pointed squarely at a 991GT3 that felt he was above the rules and showed up to an event that he wasn't qualified for. It happens all the time, unfortunately, which is the reason we see so many incidents on track.

I could never figure out why so many people think they are above rules and have delusions that they know how to drive without any proper training.

I'll get off my soap box now...
dunning kruger! most people who go to the track think they're F1 drivers from the get go.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

dunning kruger! most people who go to the track think they're F1 drivers from the get go.
I had to google dunning kruger. The Dunning Kruger effect is exactly what it is. Thanks for that. Gonna have to tuck that away for future use...
Old 11-04-2014, 02:11 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
I assume you are talking about the approach to the entry of T2. I was following PCA handbook's line where it says that do not arrive earlier than the end of entry berm, and the turn-in point is one car length after the end of the berm.
I go wot thru t1 so it flares me out to rt side berm then line my car up straight into lft side berm at t2 with driver tire on berm downshift to 3rd then flick wheel towards exiting rt side berm with passenger wheel on berm which gives you more room at exit while wotting at exit of 2. Sp is one of those tracks where berms is your friend which applies to horseshoe at t7 and the esses/t10 and t11. Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I go wot thru t1 so it flares me out to rt side berm then line my car up straight into lft side berm at t2 with driver tire on berm downshift to 3rd then flick wheel towards exiting rt side berm with passenger wheel on berm which gives you more room at exit while wotting at exit of 2. Sp is one of those tracks where berms is your friend which applies to horseshoe at t7 and the esses/t10 and t11. Mike
Thanks, will try that line next time.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^also make sure tires have enuf heat on them and berms are n
Old 11-04-2014, 06:08 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Not dewey/wet ie try not to do it 1st session : ). Mike
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ or in the rain as I soon figured out even at 20mph.

As far as the policing of participants I agree its ridiculous. Now with no coaching allowed some hosts are consolidating 3 levels of experience into one mixed group which was a scary experience. A had a few close calls with a young kid who eventually balled up his car into T-10 wall.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Nine1won
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, first run on Sat was wet and cold and the berms were extremely slippery!

Quick Reply: Sonoma Raceway 11/1