Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

BUYER BEWARE - Cobalt Blue 997 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 04:39 PM
abcut973
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Accel Junky

Final item...the owner that traded it in clearly knew about the track damage from this thread as I can see his posts. It's pretty damn shameful that he traded that car in knowing this so a person like me could take 2 unpaid days off work and waste my f***ing time, money, ire of my wife and child, and additional miles on my GT4 which is going to be sold/traded so those are precious at this time. I know you got screwed yourself, but the appropriate thing to do would've been take legal action against the original dealer to recover and then disclose the sale of the car this time around. I bought a car like this before...an NSX...found it it was wrecked/ill repaired later but I fixed it to the best of my ability and fully disclosed when I got rid of it. I was told you were an army officer (I'm a Marine myself)...that's pretty beneath such a respected position to hide such a monumental fact (again if that is your position it is only what I was told, but for any decent human regardless).
Well I don't know if you can hold the owner responsible for that missed history on the car. I think any human being would have done the same in this case. Imagine the gt4 you are trading in for that speed yellow gt3 was damaged and carfax was "clean". What would you do? Tell the dealer your car is damaged and get hit on the trade in value?
I think it was the responsibility of the dealer to do his homework on the car before the transaction. For once dealership got screwed.... it is a premiere! Which is hard to believe
Enjoy your new ride
Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abcut973
Well I don't know if you can hold the owner responsible for that missed history on the car. I think any human being would have done the same in this case. Imagine the gt4 you are trading in for that speed yellow gt3 was damaged and carfax was "clean". What would you do? Tell the dealer your car is damaged and get hit on the trade in value?
I think it was the responsibility of the dealer to do his homework on the car before the transaction. For once dealership got screwed.... it is a premiere! Which is hard to believe
Enjoy your new ride
I get ya, it is a quandary for sure. Personally I would've done the original dealer in via legal means.

I was pretty pissed when I posted that...
Old 01-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Since when is a tracked car so undesirable especially since it was thoroughly maintained as evidenced by the service records? All my cars have been tracked and overmaintained and none of the buyers of my 996 GT3, 2007 RS, 2010 RS have any complaints. Insisting on a Garage queen GT3 is a lot like insisting that your bride to be must be a virgin.

A dented fender or whatever if properly repaired does not make the car a salvage title.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Since when is a tracked car so undesirable especially since it was thoroughly maintained as evidenced by the service records? All my cars have been tracked and overmaintained and none of the buyers of my 996 GT3, 2007 RS, 2010 RS have any complaints. Insisting on a Garage queen GT3 is a lot like insisting that your bride to be must be a virgin.

A dented fender or whatever if properly repaired does not make the car a salvage title.
Well, the $50k in prior undisclosed damage is hard to get past. Then if you deduce the number of track miles the car had based on the track-related service records you would be further put off as these engine can only handle so many hours of track use before they need to be yanked and serviced.

I think it's the combination of those two things plus the general condition and ragged out feeling I had driving it that did me in.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Since when is a tracked car so undesirable especially since it was thoroughly maintained as evidenced by the service records? All my cars have been tracked and overmaintained and none of the buyers of my 996 GT3, 2007 RS, 2010 RS have any complaints. Insisting on a Garage queen GT3 is a lot like insisting that your bride to be must be a virgin
There was a huge thread awhile ago about tracked/no tracked, values, etc. Of course, a million opinions, but 10,000 miles of road use is much less hard on a car then 10,000 miles of track - hard to argue against that. Buyers will place a premium on cars that are street only or very light track use just because they have not been stressed as much. Sure you can maintain what you can, but there would be overall higher loading and wear on the drive train, braking, hubs, suspension, motor, etc, lots of components that wear and are not serviced until they fail ... and the chances of failure are higher on stressed components - so I definitely look at high track use as a negative.

I think this metaphor is more accurate. What would you like better in your shop? Two equivalent metal lathes, one worked in a production environment with a full-time machine shop, the other in a hobby shop with light use? Both are well maintained, but I know which one i would rather have!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

The car is still for sale at Huntsville and they are still seeking $100k for it.

Best of luck to them. Would be nice if they took the hit and let it go to auction instead of apparently hoping a sucker comes along (given that I fully informed them about the car back in Jan).
Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the $50k in prior undisclosed damage is hard to get past. Then if you deduce the number of track miles the car had based on the track-related service records you would be further put off as these engine can only handle so many hours of track use before they need to be yanked and serviced.

I think it's the combination of those two things plus the general condition and ragged out feeling I had driving it that did me in.
What was the nature of the undisclosed damage? Was it wrecked?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Flew out from Cali to NC to review results of low mile 930 PPI at local P dealership.

Service manager was buddies with the seller. i learned after the fact.

PPI written report show zero paint work and meter car panels within factory paint.

On arrival there was clear over spray on three of the four corner. You did have to look closely, but it was there.

Without service manager knowing I walked into the repair area and asked "hey guys, who did the PPI on the 930 for me? I nice young guy volunteered and raised his hand.

I asked him to grab his paint meter tool and meet me at the car.

His report to his boss was correct. What the boss wrote down was not.

Some dealers, or should I say some employees and some dealers are not as forthcoming as we would expect.

buying a used car, is just that.

Caveat emptor.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

OK, I have a big update for this car in case anyone is looking in the future.

Porsche of Huntsville was not aware of the damage. Evidently they took it in on trade at an amount that would severely screw them so I doubt they knew about it.

I reviewed all of the car's dealer service records back to the beginning. Forgive me but the car was a track **** for the 2nd owner. Multiple times per month over the course of about 2011-2014 the car was in and out of Napelton for all kinds of track maintenance, prep, etc... They even transported the car frequently for the owner and provided trackside assistance at a cost. Many installs of Hoosiers. He would have them swap out the stock wheels to the "race" wheels back and forth. Basically looks like he did not touch his own car, cost no object.

The records were specific enough to indicate which tracks the car was being prepped/teched for etc...

This car has absolutely been pillaged on the track and I could tell when I drove it that it had seen a hard life...similar to a Nurburgring/Spa Exige rental I had that had been in service for years of track only use.

I ended up staying over night in Huntsville with a fellow that I sold one of my old NSXs so that we could work out the financing and the GT4 trade in the morning. Fortunately this gave me a chance to stumble upon this thread since the VIN is not listed here. I don't know if there is a policy against that or something, otherwise I would post it.

I went into the dealer in the morning and laid everything out for them. They seemed pretty shocked, so I believe Huntsville had no idea of the previous track damage and the extend to which it has seen track use. Unfortunately i did not want the car for a 1 for 1 trade with the GT4 but I told them I would be willing to pay rebuilt salvage price for the car (like $50-60k ish) because I would be eating the money if I ever sold it and of course disclosed this info (which is easy to find now if you just google "cobalt blue GT3). They would be so upside down on it if they did this so naturally I bailed but they are now aware of the car so I'm not sure how they are going to unload it without duping someone otherwise I would think they would've taken my offer and had my GT4 to flip to boot.

Final item...the owner that traded it in clearly knew about the track damage from this thread as I can see his posts. It's pretty damn shameful that he traded that car in knowing this so a person like me could take 2 unpaid days off work and waste my f***ing time, money, ire of my wife and child, and additional miles on my GT4 which is going to be sold/traded so those are precious at this time. I know you got screwed yourself, but the appropriate thing to do would've been take legal action against the original dealer to recover and then disclose the sale of the car this time around. I bought a car like this before...an NSX...found it it was wrecked/ill repaired later but I fixed it to the best of my ability and fully disclosed when I got rid of it. I was told you were an army officer (I'm a Marine myself)...that's pretty beneath such a respected position to hide such a monumental fact (again if that is your position it is only what I was told, but for any decent human regardless).

By All means post it. No issues whatsoever!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM
sknandigam
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

https://huntsville.porschedealer.com...tallic+1008162

Currently listed @ $95,990.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

They are having trouble moving it now because all it takes is Googling Cobalt GT3 and this thread is the first result. That's how I found out myself.

The VIN in case of future searches: WP0AC29947S793052
Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Robert Ocampo
2nd Gear

I just drove the car an hour ago. It drives great,thinking of trading my 996 turbo. They are planning on sending car to auction. Should I run? I have a track car already. I would use the gt3 for limited driving during the week and occasional track days. It would have to be a great deal knowing You could never get more than 60k for the car.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robert Ocampo
I just drove the car an hour ago. It drives great,thinking of trading my 996 turbo. They are planning on sending car to auction. Should I run? I have a track car already. I would use the gt3 for limited driving during the week and occasional track days. It would have to be a great deal knowing You could never get more than 60k for the car.
I offered them $50k back in January for it knowing that, like you say, probably not worth $60k if I ever sold it. They laughed at me. I've even reminded them a few times that I'd still be willing to take it off their hands. I think it is shameful after they learned everything they still tried to ask top dollar for it with no disclosure.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Robert Ocampo
2nd Gear

What do you think the car would get at auction?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:00 AM
garage5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this car is on the market again. I figured I would bump this thread to make sure no forum members or anyone else buy it without knowing its pervious history.

Its was for sale at $83000 on manheim. I made a inquiries about it. Dealership never once mentioned any of what I read on this forum.

Quick Reply: BUYER BEWARE - Cobalt Blue 997 GT3