Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Carrera GT and a loan
This
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like other Rl'ers have stated, go for the optimum....4.0 for sure.

Perhaps a difficult question for non 4.0 owners to answer, that is till you drive/own one.

FWIW, I owned a .2 3.8 RS before so I am able to identify and appreciate the differences
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is simple. If you are going to get 2.....you might as well get 1. IE spend it on the 4.0

On the other hand, if you have better use for the best part of 100k, do something else with it. I was faced with the same dilemma and couldn't/didn't go for the 4.0. I know I would be too worried to drive it on track and too fearful of crashing it on the road to truely enjoy it. As a rolling exhibit, it would be fantastic, but that's not why i buy these cars. BTW, parked side by side, my boxster spyder looks much much prettier than my 3.8 RS.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
with the given selection I would say no question 4.0L. It is as close one can get to a Cup car on the street with a resale value that modern cars could only dream of. The engine in the 4.0L has all special bits.

taking two 3.8 over one 4.0 is like saying quantity and not quality... Spoil yourself and get the quailty one.

Here is the hard question;

2 decent looking women for one night or 1 super model for one night......

The 4.0L is that hot super model. Now go pick her up and show her a good time
I like this response I personally have a 1997 Ferrari 355, a 1995 993 RS Clone, a 2005 GT3 and a 2011 BMW 335 Cab so if I could add another car it would be another different car, not 2 of the same car.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:03 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
Like other Rl'ers have stated, go for the optimum....4.0 for sure.

Perhaps a difficult question for non 4.0 owners to answer, that is till you drive/own one.

FWIW, I owned a .2 3.8 RS before so I am able to identify and appreciate the differences
And you drive the 4.0 on the track where it loves to be and you have a sweet 993 TT as well
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Might need a hint because you could be talking Seger, White Stripes or a host of others.
no, ....these guys started a worldwide movement

Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
I think it is simple. If you are going to get 2.....you might as well get 1. IE spend it on the 4.0

On the other hand, if you have better use for the best part of 100k, do something else with it. I was faced with the same dilemma and couldn't/didn't go for the 4.0. I know I would be too worried to drive it on track and too fearful of crashing it on the road to truely enjoy it. As a rolling exhibit, it would be fantastic, but that's not why i buy these cars. BTW, parked side by side, my boxster spyder looks much much prettier than my 3.8 RS.

If that's your 3.8 in you signature I would argue that's the prettier machine....aqua blue RS = gorgeous
Old 06-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

I let other people buy to stare at, so that when they depreciate with low miles I can buy to drive.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
An RS and a regular GT3. That way when the RS breaks (RS always breaks) you have the GT3 ready to go.
.1RS doesn't break.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I had this dilemma with Ducatis.. My previous addiction. I kept wanting to own all the "R" versions, like an addiction to "completing" somethjng... and then mever really adjusted to any of them and worried more about nicks in te paint than riding the ***** off them. anyway, bikes are like crack, they WILL kill you, so before that happened, I came to rennlist as a sort of methadone clinic for Ducati addicts.. I fear the medicine will be just as dangerous as the original addiction.. But I digress.

As I still haven't purchased my car during this research period, my only insight for this discussion is the following: Collecting multiple objects, while satisfying to the hoarding instincts humans possess, is rarely as satisfying as loving one object (or woman) completely... And in this area, I AM an expert.. Dating multiple chicks is distracting and not really pleasurable except to the ego.

So, get the 4.0.. Garage queen it, Starbucks it, or track it.. But for ****s sake love the **** out of it until you're done.. Then move on. Two gt3 3.8's will just make you their slave, as you feverishly lose your brain trying to decide between them.. Human brain doesn't like choice, it thinks it does, but it thrives on dedication.. Anyway... Collecting in itself is a mirage.. You're just organizing a group of objects in one place until you die for someone else's accumulation addiction.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:22 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
As I still haven't purchased my car during this research period, my only insight for this discussion is the following: Collecting multiple objects, while satisfying to the hoarding instincts humans possess, is rarely as satisfying as loving one object (or woman) completely... And in this area, I AM an expert.. Dating multiple chicks is distracting and not really pleasurable except to the ego.

So, get the 4.0.. Garage queen it, Starbucks it, or track it.. But for ****s sake love the **** out of it until you're done.. Then move on. Two gt3 3.8's will just make you their slave, as you feverishly lose your brain trying to decide between them.. Human brain doesn't like choice, it thinks it does, but it thrives on dedication.. Anyway... Collecting in itself is a mirage.. You're just organizing a group of objects in one place until you die for someone else's accumulation addiction.
Wisdom!
Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

3.8 + Scuderia + bank loan.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Good point, but I do not fully agree.

I only have one woman, as I can only stand the BS of one woman.

I always will have multiple cars. I do not believe in one car that can satisfy all my driving needs.

As for 3.8 vs 4.0, definitely 4.0 better, but it is not worth the price of two 3.8.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 PM
m5trol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Good point, but I do not fully agree.

I only have one woman, as I can only stand the BS of one woman.

I always will have multiple cars. I do not believe in one car that can satisfy all my driving needs.

As for 3.8 vs 4.0, definitely 4.0 better, but it is not worth the price of two 3.8.

I agree the woman argument doesn't work - its not two women, its like sleeping with identical twins vs. a single hotter one. I think I know where I stand on that decision, only you can know where you do.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:47 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

3.8 + 6 Skip Barber racing seasons, or better yet:
6GT3 + Boxster S + 6 Skip Barber racing seasons

Quick Reply: GT3 Rs 3.8 or GT3 Rs 4.0