Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New track in So Cal, The thermal club

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default New track in So Cal, The thermal club

Hey everyone I just got back from a great weekend of fun in the sun in Palm Springs, actually Thermal Ca.

GMG hosted the first track event at the brand new private track club, The Thermal Club (no affiliation), just excited about a new track in So Cal.

It was a small group of guys with mainly GT3 and Gt3 RS cars but they were a few other import cars like a ferrari 458 and a mclarens. GMG had 2 of their clients their with their track prepped RS cars. A white RS driven by chris, local rennlister and all around nice guy and the always stunning GMG prepared 07 GT3 RS "Orange Crush 4.0." I think I just saw orange crush here on RL in another post. Both cars were beautifully done and their owners had smiles on their faces that i dont think you could chisel off.

Craig Stanton and James got to drive their clients cars "coaching their clients" out on the track and really tearing it up out in the hot sun.

Needless to say, i think there may be a few track records that will take some time to break until the weather cools back down.

Anyway i was so busy having fun and eating, I didnt get to take any pictures. My son shot these with his Iphone.

Maybe james has access to a few good shots they could post.

GMG provided track support with his staff and gear and the track went all out with food and beverages, what a great facility, with a lot of potential. I have never been to a track where someone brings you a cold bottle of water and a cool moist wash cloth as you get out of your race car.....

So this is what heaven would be like........
Attached Images   
Old 05-06-2013, 06:48 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I'm here in Florida ....150% humidity, just not 105F yet.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Dude, It was about 95 degrees but only 5 percent humidity

probably cooler than sebring in january....
Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM
M3EvoBR
Banned

Tell me about it... How far is that from you ??? 200 miles ?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 212 Posts

You guys and your weather. I coached a lacrosse game in late March and it was 37 degrees and sleeting.

So is this a private track like Monticello in NY where it's open track days for members and guests only? Or will it be more like New Jersey Motorsports Park where members are given a certain amount of member day opportunities but the track(s) are also rented out for DE events and a variety of races are on the tracks?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How much does a condo at the raceway cost? I drove by the track last month and it is dry, hot and windy at times. I can't find any on track video and so far the only videos available are some cheesy infomercial. From the track layout it look pretty ... strange and hope there are some good run off and not walls everywhere. The danger of these type of morotsport ranch development is that they can run out of money fast and get stuck 1/2 finished. Really neat concept ...

Old 05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
MishaDesigns
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to a nice prepped track! By the looks of the rendering, should be an amazing development
Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

One problem I see is the garages/zoning don't allow you to spend the night there. I would hate to drop $$ on something like this and still have to foot a hotel bill. Maybe just me though.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:59 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

All that Armco looks a bit intimidating.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:07 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
Hey everyone I just got back from a great weekend of fun in the sun in Palm Springs, actually Thermal Ca.

GMG hosted the first track event at the brand new private track club, The Thermal Club (no affiliation), just excited about a new track in So Cal.

It was a small group of guys with mainly GT3 and Gt3 RS cars but they were a few other import cars like a ferrari 458 and a mclarens. GMG had 2 of their clients their with their track prepped RS cars. A white RS driven by chris, local rennlister and all around nice guy and the always stunning GMG prepared 07 GT3 RS "Orange Crush 4.0." I think I just saw orange crush here on RL in another post. Both cars were beautifully done and their owners had smiles on their faces that i dont think you could chisel off.

Craig Stanton and James got to drive their clients cars "coaching their clients" out on the track and really tearing it up out in the hot sun.

Needless to say, i think there may be a few track records that will take some time to break until the weather cools back down.

Anyway i was so busy having fun and eating, I didnt get to take any pictures. My son shot these with his Iphone.

Maybe james has access to a few good shots they could post.

GMG provided track support with his staff and gear and the track went all out with food and beverages, what a great facility, with a lot of potential. I have never been to a track where someone brings you a cold bottle of water and a cool moist wash cloth as you get out of your race car.....

So this is what heaven would be like........

Had a real good time as well, got to meet the world famous Stujelly! Must have a beer with ya next time!

Interesting track, all the fences/guards were a bit intimidating till I got on the track, then it's a completely different view. Hoosiers look new after a full day, but that'll change next weekend at Buttonwillow...

James and the gang at GMG were first rate as usual, BIG Thanks to Allen and special thanks to Sergey and Tony who worked their a$$'s off helping everyone out. Orange Crush was the first car on the track and it sounds oh so good, and love the orange paint - super nice car!

If you ever get the chance to check the place out it's def worth the trip
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

The greatest thing they could do with that place is have a setup similar to VIR. Townhouses you can rent with garages attached to them.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:12 AM
werks
Advanced

Originally Posted by tasman
One problem I see is the garages/zoning don't allow you to spend the night there. I would hate to drop $$ on something like this and still have to foot a hotel bill. Maybe just me though.
Totally agree with you on that one. Palm Springs is a vacation destination and a cool hang out spot. It would be an awesome place to have a vacation home situated trackside there. Close enough to town where you can take the family with you and run out for dinner and entertainment in the evenings and during the day you can play with your toys from the comfort of your home away from home. But to drop a couple hundred k on a club membership and "car condo" and still have to check into a hotel in the evening because only your cars can spend the night in your condo simply does not make a lot of sense to me. It totally changes things from a place that you might go to with some friends/family for a week of fun to just another track that you hit up for the weekend unless of course your willing to drop a couple hundred k on the club membership / car condo and another couple hundred k for a cheap house down there too.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

More info? Is it open for public to watch?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:05 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The more tracks the merrier as long as they don't become exclusive member only deals cause they don't let lowlife's in.

Quick Reply: New track in So Cal, The thermal club