2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
No, not irrational. It's one of the few cars with this level of power to weight where "most" of its mechanical items out of the box are ready to run on the track. We complain about the items that wear, but most cars in this league cannot run 10 laps at speed without cooking something- brakes, tires, transmission etc. You can reduce the power to weight and go with something cheaper and maybe just as fun, or you can go racing in any number of spec classes where the mods are limited as are the costs. Otherwise, the GT3 for the track is the "rational", mostly ready, and fast choice.
i with with montoya here.
GT3 blows engine, tranny, and lose wheels. but i have had other stuff, like lotus/bmw and some such. they all blow up. and porsche seem to have the least number of issues.

unfortunately when it does blow up it also blows up the bank account. but you pay to play.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the docs. Also got a "campaign" sheet with same info from dealer when I had it in Friday.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

from a Friend:
That's exactly what I got. It's not a new recall, but a Supplement to the Owner's Manual trying to shift the insufficient CL system from being a defective product to an item of maintenance. This shifts the economic burden from Porshce to the owner. Every owner who has received one of those letters should respond to Mr. Quinn of PCNA and tell him "nice try" but we're holding Porsche responsible since the product is not as represented, not suitable for the purposes for which is was intended and represents a game changer after you already bought the car. That's the response that you should post. I would but am not a Rennlist member, or refer them to me. My letter is already in the mail.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:18 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
from a Friend:
That's exactly what I got. It's not a new recall, but a Supplement to the Owner's Manual trying to shift the insufficient CL system from being a defective product to an item of maintenance. This shifts the economic burden from Porshce to the owner. Every owner who has received one of those letters should respond to Mr. Quinn of PCNA and tell him "nice try" but we're holding Porsche responsible since the product is not as represented, not suitable for the purposes for which is was intended and represents a game changer after you already bought the car. That's the response that you should post. I would but am not a Rennlist member, or refer them to me. My letter is already in the mail.
Exactly!! Except I don't think it's defective it's just not well-thought out and not easy to use.
I called them last week. They basically said "it's no skin off our nose because most owners don't track their GT3's anyway". I think I will write them too.

Last edited by paver; 04-28-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: left a word out
Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Let's wait for the first injury and then Porsche may be in deep trouble.
I don't understand why CL is still being offered on new GT3.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

kernelofwisdom, what is the part number on the second page of the new supplement?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Sorry traveling today - ill look tomorrow night and post.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
kernelofwisdom
Racer

Here are the rest of the pages. Sorry they are out of order. I think page two has the number on it, if I'm guessing correctly.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

It is interesting that the part number of the new supplement appears to be Porsche North American specific (PNA). This supplement isn't being offered in other markets from what I can tell.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

To my knowledge 996 GT3 and 997.1 GT3's received no such workshop campaign notice despite having pounded out more collective track miles than 997.2 GT3's. Or did I miss that one???
Old 05-10-2013, 05:22 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

never got this fot 996 or .1 gt cars
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM
ralphmusic
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NBTBRV8
It is interesting that the part number of the new supplement appears to be Porsche North American specific (PNA). This supplement isn't being offered in other markets from what I can tell.
In the UK we got a letter dated May 14.. a month after the USA owners and a piece of paper, not a nice glossy supplement. Also, our letter does not warn us about "using a suitable knee rest to protect clothing against soiling"

Seriously though, totally agree with points raised and need to write and complain to Porsche (GB in our case) which I and others have done including a bunch of questions on practicalities and inspection standards. Porsche Centres in UK got their letters same day as owners!

Any replies received from PNA?

Does anyone have a copy of the dealer inspection process or is it some guy peering through the spokes?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a specific procedure the dealer does on a check list. I'll look for the document.- I have it somewhere. It was CL specific
Old 06-17-2013, 07:58 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 308 Posts

So how do they go through the procedure at the dealer? A second guy sits in the car pressing the brakes while it's up on the lift? Or maybe some of them cheat and just loosen it with the car on the ground(procedure calls for loosening up in the air) Or I guess they use the brake stop tool-anyway most shops won't allow you to be back there to follow the procedure-

I bought the precision instruments tool, now I guess I need the special grease, the Jackpoint stands, quite an investment...

I plan on using a friend's wheel shop when installing/balancing tires, using my torque wrench and following procedure(for tires I prefer not to go to the dealer, as mentioned you couldn't in most cases go back there to to see what's going on)

Any new developments?

Thanks
JB
Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If there is a person around to help, sure they can press the brake for you. If not, get an Irwin clamp and turn it around into a spreader. You don't have to have jackpoint stands. I'm sure they are nice. Just jack up one side of the car at a time and you don't need any jackstands.
No new developments. It's just a procedure with a lot of steps that need to be followed closely. When you do it right, they work.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 CL recall, a NEW recall