Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Track videos thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 PM
medpilot105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Great driving! Outstanding technique. Really, really good stuff here. Relaxed, smooth and fast!

I love the footwork because it is an area of the art of driving that is incredibly important and also an area that I need to improve my consistency. Lately, I've been seeing videos of drivers keeping their foot slightly on the accelerator during up-shifts, zinging the engine waaaay up the tachometer. Crazy. It's like they're trying to shift quickly and their hands and feet are out of sync. Very cringe-worthy to watch and takes the fun out of watching and hearing these cars. You on the other hand, show a great deal of skill working the pedals quickly and smoothly. The car always looks stable, predictable and really fast. Perfect!

Also, I enjoyed watching you work the GT3's gearbox. The pause between 2nd and 3rd gear is so brief but effective. As I'm just learning the idiosyncrasies of my new car, I know the gearbox needs to be worked a certain way and I'll be referring back to these vids regularly.

Again, great driving! Thanks for posting.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Mid-Ohio in September, 1:38's with traffic. Great weekend with NORPCA.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great weekend at NJMP Lightning with Metro PCA. Tons of track time. They ran a nice safe event. Posted many new videos. Such nice people. Not the wheel bearing.(but I'll be replacing them) Giro Disc & new brake bads not agreeing with each other. Dam annoying GT3RS at 16 minute area. Fun. Giro disc replace - good customer service.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 12-15-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spa-Franchorchamps

Old 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL IR - is that a preview of the 2046 GT3 with Hyper drive
and how did you get that clear lap at the ring!? Nice and smooth as MPilot said!
Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by HiWind
LOL IR - is that a preview of the 2046 GT3 with Hyper drive
It felt like it .... It's based on the successor of the 918, but without the petrol engine

and how did you get that clear lap at the ring!? Nice and smooth as MPilot said!
By doing a trackday instead of the Touristenfahrten
Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by medpilot105
Great driving! Outstanding technique. Really, really good stuff here. Relaxed, smooth and fast!

I love the footwork because it is an area of the art of driving that is incredibly important and also an area that I need to improve my consistency. Lately, I've been seeing videos of drivers keeping their foot slightly on the accelerator during up-shifts, zinging the engine waaaay up the tachometer. Crazy. It's like they're trying to shift quickly and their hands and feet are out of sync. Very cringe-worthy to watch and takes the fun out of watching and hearing these cars. You on the other hand, show a great deal of skill working the pedals quickly and smoothly. The car always looks stable, predictable and really fast. Perfect!

Also, I enjoyed watching you work the GT3's gearbox. The pause between 2nd and 3rd gear is so brief but effective. As I'm just learning the idiosyncrasies of my new car, I know the gearbox needs to be worked a certain way and I'll be referring back to these vids regularly.

Again, great driving! Thanks for posting.
Just noticed this post.

Thanks for the compliments man. Trying to drive the GT3 as "boring" as possible, because boring = smooth = fast. The more show the less go there is

And I do pay a lot of attention to shifting, and heel-and-toe downshifts. I guess that is one of the reasons why my clutch still is in perfect condition after 60.000km and quite some trackdays (had it checked when the engine was out for an oil leak issue). Concerning the pause between 2 and 3, you might have noticed that 3rd gear only works when you do a perfectly forward movement, or otherwise you hit between the gates. This is for me to avoid putting it in 1st when upshifting. Same with downshift from 5 to 4, you do not want a 5-2 shift. Better let the stick center itself and then pull it down instead of doing the movement yourself. A friend of mine did a "money shift" on his GT3RS and boy was I glad I didn't have to pay that bill ...

Then again, Porsche will be releasing the 991 GT3 with PDK soon, and all those acquired techniques can be thrown in the bin.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

took my little friend along for the first time. So much fun watching him afterwards. He really enjoyed it and is hooked too i guess. Check out his reaction after my miss-shift. Ha ha

http://www.youtube.com/user/ParadisePorsche
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Q&A - great video - assume that is your son? Great to be able to share the enjoyment of motor sport and spend some time together. Nice driving as well!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM
csmarx
Instructor

csmarx, Stock Porsche 968 CS M030, Nordschleife BTG, Data

Data and overlay from Harry's LapTimer Pro and video from a GoPro Hero HD.

Not my fastest lap in that car, but I won a GoPro Hero HD2 from Wine Country Motor Sport's Video of the Month contest.

Notice I make two small errors: one at exit Adenau Forst, and one at entry Steilstrecke Kurve where I get up on the berm a smidgen.

-Christian

Last edited by csmarx; 12-19-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Something different from the far east. We do this once a year with the local Porsche Club chapter. Hardly a full-fledged race by any measure, but we do succeed in creating a lot of fun and in embarrassing ourselves:

Compilation of In-car videos:

POV from my car:

And for full disclosure: I'm not proud of the inside pass at 4:05... could've ended badly had the green RS (driven by a great guy with 10x more track hours than your truly and a gentleman racer in the local PCCA series) been any less forgiving... while there's no marshal out here in the wild east to give me a black flag I've certainly given myself one mentally... not gonna risk something that stupid again...

The pace for this track is around 1:24-25 (pro+slicks) and I did a 1:26.5 that morning on 20HC Hooters. As you can tell from the video the "race" pace is significantly off that mark

Last edited by CRex; 12-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure I understand your comment re the pass, it looked fine to me, with lots of room?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:04 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Not sure I understand your comment re the pass, it looked fine to me, with lots of room?
It was rather less "sanguine" from the car behind who described what he saw as a wheelie... at the fastest corner in that track, which is normally taken in our cars at part throttle after a set... in hindsight it was a bonehead move to climb the inside curb and risk upsetting the car (which is exactly what happened) with another car in close proximity on the outside
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, I think I see what you mean. The green car saw you coming and let you through, otherwise you would have run out of room