Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Quick word on GOPRO

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Quick word on GOPRO

I have gopro and in a short review Id say it is great, It is a good little camera that I am still playing around with to get best results, but Best parts of this camera are

1, The Quality & wide angle lens, You can really get lots in the picture if things are up close. If they are not up close sometimes it hard to see what you just filmed. This is why its great for car chase (reason I had to have it). Wide range of motion can be captured. High quality video in HD with a still picture. 1080P quality and a number of lesser quality capture modes in order to save space on your SD card. The clarity of the shots are just amazing. Beautiful picture quality directly onto SD card. It is very easy to get into the computer, supplied with a USB cable for quick transfers. You could film a video and have it on your computer in minutes. Upload to YouTube and link away in a forum or email to show your friends extremely quick. It's no cannon GL1 but it does a decent job.

2, Second best part is the water proof or somewhat damage proof case that enables you to mount it and not worry about it being damaged. Opening the case to plug the camera into the computer can be little tedious at times but I feel better knowing its protected. The case has a rubber gasket sealing the door closed and a clasp that ensures a tight fit. The effort it takes to get the camera into the little case is piece of mind that its sealed up tight and nothing will damage the camera. For non waterproof use, they supply you with a different rear door to the case that has an opening (skeleton door). I have not used this yet but I presume it's to allow better sound into the MIC of the camera.

3, Kit Comes with a bunch of neat angle swivel mounts and it can help you get the best angle placement of the camera, They also have a selection of great mounts available off the site so you can have the camera at any angle, almost any direction or any place you desire. The kit supply you with a suction cup mount that allows you to mount the camera on nearly any flat surface. This makes it very useful for mounting on the side or top of your car. They offer rollbar mounts and helmet mounts on gopro.com. Plus the kit comes with five sticky mounts that you can put anywhere aswell.

4, Great camera for pictures and action photo sequences not just video. At 11 Mega pixel it's not lacking in the photo quality department. You will be surprised at how clear an inexpensive little dual purpose camera can be. The camera mode allows you to take burst shots, timed interval sequences and regular timed single pictures in a few different timing modes. It's no professional digital cannon EOS camera but again it does a decent job.

5,Sound is bit muffled when inside the waterproof case, Seems that thus far, from my own experience, the sound quality may not be the best. On the back of HD Hero2 it says for best sound in high wind >100mph wind use waterproof case and best sound <100MPH use skeleton door. As you may imagine sound in the video shot to be bit quiet given that the camera is in a tightly sealed case to prevent water in. So you still get sound when in the waterproof case but its just not as loud as it would be if you used the other case backing (non water proof skeleton door) with the hole in it. Again, I have not used the skeleton door yet so I cannot confirm the sound quality with it vs without it.

I hope this quick review will help, I know it's poorly written and quickly done but Overall I love this little camera, I think teamed with the RENNLINE towhook mount, It will make some great action shots and trailing videos out on track. I cant wait to get back out on track in GT3 with it attached to my front bumper or mounted to my rollbar. I think it's a must have for the price. Good luck.
I also posted this in 6speed forum.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,251 Posts

checkout the new HDGoPro2 ... and some of the newer accessories like the battery pack and video screen ... there is I think also a new one coming with wifi access...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM
lopro
Banned

i have the motorsports hero2HD this is the one issue I have with it, The battery, Do they have a battery that lasts longer ? It takes so long to charge it back up again. I have it out at the deer feeder in my backyard trying to catch the deer that my lady feeds everday. Those are sly buggers, they always seem to come as soon as the battery dies. Maybe its the red light blinking thats scaring them off. I see them almost everday as soon as the batterys dead they come eat all the food and then gone.

I also could use some more memory cards. I have one but its only 8g
Old 01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

While the camera is waterproof, it is pretty useless underwater. Due to the bug eye housing the camera cannot focus. You need to purchase a flat lens housing for it to function properly. Found out this past week diving.

Otherwise the Hero2 is a great camera.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
While the camera is waterproof, it is pretty useless underwater. Due to the bug eye housing the camera cannot focus. You need to purchase a flat lens housing for it to function properly. Found out this past week diving.

Sounds like this is the sol'n: BlurFix
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out HD the unit from ReplayXD. Great package with lots of mounting options. GoPro still wins in many areas but this offers features that beat the GoPro.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 PM
lopro
Banned

lots of extras for the gopro it seems. I need to get a rollbar mount or rig one of those stick on mounts up to the bar
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I got a matt black neoprene housing cover that stops all reflexions, you can get them in camo too

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/gopro-x...cone-cover.htm

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 01-03-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Very cool - will need to get one of these before our next trip south.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Originally Posted by ChrisF

Sounds like this is the sol'n: BlurFix
Old 01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Very cool - will need to get one of these before our next trip south.
Same thoughts here for snorkling in Barbados this March.

May even pick up a 2nd one to better document certain red rockets flying by at the track!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

this could be just the thing for in-car ... you can control it and stream the video without touching the camera!
Old 01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

this could be just the thing for in-car ... you can control it and stream the video without touching the camera!
Cool, but probably not supported with a BB app....

Anyone know who has the current best pricing on GoProHD, HD2 and accessories?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Cool, but probably not supported with a BB app....

Anyone know who has the current best pricing on GoProHD, HD2 and accessories?
probably iPad/iPhone and Windows/Mac PC ...

I think everyone is selling for $299 ... I have not found anyone cheaper ...

I have a used HDHero kit ... ($150OBO) if anyone is interested pm me ... I want to upgrade to HDHero2
Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM
lopro
Banned

I saw 239 in the 6speed vendor forum plus free shipping .may have been old but Ill look for the link.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:33 PM
lopro
Banned

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...-239-99-a.html you will have to contact them and see if they still have this forsale.

Good luck. I wish I bought mine at this price. I paid 299$ and the duty when it was shipped was thru two roofs

Quick Reply: Quick word on GOPRO