Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

rear brake cooling duct - temp comparison & install

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default rear brake cooling duct - temp comparison & install

If it doesn't rain wednesday (looks like it may)

- i am going to install (myself, it looks that easy, and i am not mechanically inclined) the only rear duct that arrived (the right one) and do a temp test at Mosport

- the left one arrives Friday

- what didn't arrive were the 2 screws per side that you need to attach the bracket to the duct (no problem, don't waste your time, the guy in the parts department at the dealership just went in the back and grabbed two scews that fit

- basically, the bracket on one side fits into the duct with 3 fingers - fits over the lower control arm and then you put in two screws on the other side to tighten hold it in place

- i'm guessing but haven't done it yet that the car' undertray acts as a stopping point for the inlet side of the duct

- i have some metal hand cutters and if it looks doable, i will just trim away any interfering brake shield so that maximum air will flow to the center of the rotor

- pics and install instructions to come

paul

Last edited by 997gt3north; 07-27-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

just finished

- total project time (remove car from garage, jack up right rear, remove tire, install, remount tire, return car to garage) = 45 minutes
- the cutting part was easy - a small cresent moon section was easily cut away (watch for little metal shards that don't cut your tire latter)
- in the thickest diameter part of cut is approx 1 inch nearest center of rotor
- the cooling potential of these ducts will be enormous in my opinion with this small section cut away

- only comment on the install is before you start tightening the two screws, make sure you have snapped in the teeth of the bracket into the duct so that you don't rip the piece of rubber holding the screw - everythig fits perfectly, if it is not working for you just try a little harder, it is a tight fit but it fits perfectly (I have a mk1 gt3)

- on a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty, it is a 1

Pictures

All the pieces

Tools used
- 10mm wrench, extension with 10mm socket (no wrench needed just to hand tighten), cutters
- metal on driveway is amount removed (think about the shape of an egg cut longways)

Installed from above and front

Installed from above (looking over control arm) - right is front left is rear

Installed from above and rear view

Installed from rear view

Another rear view

View of rotor and duct

Last edited by 997gt3north; 07-28-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 AM
MarekN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great report, thanks. Will some sort of temperature comparison follow? You say that you have just one side finished, this would be a perfect chance.

I can´t help but notice the condition of your ceramic surface...
Has your pad longevity gone down accordingly, or do I have a wrong presumption? It´s funny that after all this time of talking and using PCCB, we are still left to our own devices in terms of figuring out the hard facts about it.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarekN
Great report, thanks. Will some sort of temperature comparison follow? You say that you have just one side finished, this would be a perfect chance.

I can´t help but notice the condition of your ceramic surface...
Has your pad longevity gone down accordingly, or do I have a wrong presumption? It´s funny that after all this time of talking and using PCCB, we are still left to our own devices in terms of figuring out the hard facts about it.
If it doesn't rain wednesday I will do a temp test at Mosport comparing left (no duct) versus right (duct). Unfortunately my laser temp probe maxes about 400f so I will have to let the rotors cool enough until range can be picked up by lazer - should still work but with a delay from hot temps

Pad longevity has not changed at all - infact I can't seem to kill my current set up P50s - 10 events+ and the fronts have 65% of the material and the rears are about 50%

My rotors have about 50 hard track days on them - figure the rears are good for may 15 more days and the fronts probably have 25 in them

The picture flash makes the back side of the rear disks look worse than they are but they are indeed more warn than the front side of the rears - and the rears are more warn than the fronts for sure.

My car has 34,000kms on it with 50 being track days - if I had to guess that would be about 13,000kms on the track.

I haven't decided yet if I will replace the rears with new ceramics when they go first - for me this will be when i look at the surface of the rears and less than 90% of the surface is covered with ceramic material - again, i think this about another 10+ hard track days.

My personal opinion is that if the rear rotors were 380mm, the caliper size was the same as the front and these ducts were there from the beginning and you always run without TC, then the ceramic rotors are good for about 80 trackdays - not bad for a wear part - if you only street drive they will never die.

Last edited by 997gt3north; 07-28-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM
MarekN
Racer

Very nice feedback, I have 27,000 street km on my discs and they have no noticeable wear. I have to admit, though, that on the fronts the control circles are almost unvisible and on the rears they are a little bit easier to spot, but maybe it has to do with the fact that even by hand, you can feel the rears generally reaching higher temperatures. I´ve put that down to the close vicinity of the hot engine and gearbox, as well as worse cooling.

I drive quickly, but even on fast roads with lots of turns you never have to brake so hard as you do on a track at the end of the main straight, so the system is more than up to it and it would be bad if the discs showed any wear at all considering what goes into them and how they are portrayed.

The only Porsche which ever had the same brakes front and rear is the Carrera GT, if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Unitah
Instructor

Does anyone have the correct part number for the bolts needed for this project? And please confirm, do you need 2 bolts per side, or 4 bolts per side making the total 8?
Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 10:37 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unitah
Does anyone have the correct part number for the bolts needed for this project? And please confirm, do you need 2 bolts per side, or 4 bolts per side making the total 8?
Thanks
2 bolts per side = 4 total.

The "correct" part number is (999 073 516 01)

I do not believe that is what I used as they did not arrive - took the parts guy 10 seconds to find a bolt that fit into the duct and had a wide enough head that would hold the tab down

paul
Old 07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Who has the track on Wed?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In light of the reports I receive from customers, this is one SMART move.

It is incredible to think that in some aspects the rears are working HARDER than the fronts....
Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
Who has the track on Wed?
apex
30 cars
opening lapping - $399
run all day
Old 07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Thanks,
Checked, rain...again!
Past weekend was NNJR...in three days I got 40 min of dry lapping Sat morning!!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
Thanks,
Checked, rain...again!
sucks i know
i'm bringing two cars because of it
audi s4 with decent rain tires to do some 4 wheel drifts when it rains as back up

dry -> gt3 with hoosiers - rain -> swap cars -> heavy s4 with rains -> dry line -> jump out gt3 hoosiers - > fvck it is raining at #8 -> (pray don't hit wall) swap cars -> repeat over and over and over
Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
i'm bringing two cars because of it
audi s4 with decent rain tires to do some 4 wheel drifts when it rains as back up
Wow, 4 wheel drifts at Mosport in the rain, not that is brave!!!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM
NITEALB
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06
Thanks,
Checked, rain...again!
Hey George, in case ur interested, I just installed the 996gt2 rear cooling ducts to my 997 gt2. the part appears to direct air much closer to the rear rotor. I'll report after the next few track days on any benefits
Niteal
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Wow, 4 wheel drifts at Mosport in the rain, not that is brave!!!
Did you come out to the NNJR weekend?

Paul and Niteal, we have to get together someday I would like to take a look.

Aug 5 is the next 6th Gear Day, we max out at 30 cars, great day.

Quick Reply: rear brake cooling duct - temp comparison & install