Sponsored by:

Center brake light modulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:34 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Center brake light modulator

Hello- I've used a brake light flasher before on my motorcycle to help keep me alive in LA traffic- and am considering applying the same to my center brake light just to help with visibility to dissuade rear-enders. I see Fiats are incorporating this feature.

Anyone else do this? If so, any install location tips? Here's what I'm considering:

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-21-2017, 11:42 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll take this a step further.... can we get ALL of them to modulate a la Cup Car style? Been dying to have that scare someone.....

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Please don't. Nothing worse than sitting in stop and go traffic on a rainy night with everyone's 3rd brake light flashing constantly.

Do you remember I the 80s when 3rd brake lights were first added, a couple years later the manufacturers "upgraded" the feature so they would flash when the brakes were initially spied, then after a few second delay, they would remain on solid - it became ridiculous when enough of these new cars were bought and on the road, and they eventually abandoned it to not flash.

Plus, if some idiot is looking down at their phone while they're driving, you're little blinking light won't do anything anyway.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:16 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

^^^^^ totally disagree. I think a triple flash to solid is a fantastic feature. Kias do it right. Quick flash then solid within a second. This is a simple mod if you're electronically inclined. You could even adjust the flash frequency with a potentiometer on a simple breadboard. Lots of options here and I think the one you chose is a good one.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM
mreloc
Pro

I'll take this a step further.... can we get ALL of them to modulate a la Cup Car style? Been dying to have that scare someone.....

Amazon Amazon
I think this one is the ticket. Programmable so that when the accelerometer detects a hard braking the thing flashes more urgently, otherwise it would be a triple flash to solid under normal braking.

Please don't. Nothing worse than sitting in stop and go traffic on a rainy night with everyone's 3rd brake light flashing constantly.

Do you remember I the 80s when 3rd brake lights were first added, a couple years later the manufacturers "upgraded" the feature so they would flash when the brakes were initially spied, then after a few second delay, they would remain on solid - it became ridiculous when enough of these new cars were bought and on the road, and they eventually abandoned it to not flash.

Plus, if some idiot is looking down at their phone while they're driving, you're little blinking light won't do anything anyway.
I don't recall that being a widespread feature of 80's cars- interesting I missed that! I bet if driving distractions back then were as bad as they are now, they may never have abandoned the standard.

I do think it's an effective attention grabber- at least it grabs mine in the corner of my eye when I see it on more and more of the smaller cars. Until the laws get enforced better to crack down on texting habits while driving or smoking weed in the car, I'll take my chances on irritating the occasional curmudgeon if it helps prevent the rich millennial perched up high in her G wagon from plowing in to me.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Please close the loop and share your opinion when you get it installed. I am curious to know if you will get a code on the dashboard (check stop lights).

Yves
Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Boys if we can figure out which wires are what on the brake pedal then I can do this TONIGHT. I have the accelerometer based unit ready to go, plus a backup!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 PM
mreloc
Pro

Boys if we can figure out which wires are what on the brake pedal then I can do this TONIGHT. I have the accelerometer based unit ready to go, plus a backup!
I'm not sure you'd want to install it at the brake pedal because all of your brake lights would be flashing instead of the middle one only(?)

I got mine in this weekend on my cab. Actually pretty easy to do once you get over carefully prying out the center brake light- i only lost two clips in the process but the clips are available separately if you lose or break one. The unit itself is about the size of a nickel so it tucks away just fine and I configured it in the garage with the door down so that I could see the reflected flashing light behind me. I think the accelerometer function might come in handy on LA roads where rush and stop traffic is "normal" I have a 6 am commute to work and am pretty bleary-eyed myself- so hopefully this gets some other sleepy driver behind me to perk up in time to prevent careening in to me!

This is the one I went with:

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake...6246175dd3a0af
Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ALEV8
...accelerometer based unit ...
Alex - which make/model do you have? Did you end up installing it? Thanks!

[BTW, I have an aftermarket fixed wing that has its own third brake light so I'll be putting this add-on unit into my engine compartment (rather than on the brake pedal switch) because I already made the original wiring accessible for the wing brake light.]

Quick Reply: Center brake light modulator