Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Sealant - Anyone Use? Replace per manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts
Default Tire Sealant - Anyone Use? Replace per manual?

2009 C2S

Ok, thinking about minutea..... and I realized I am in violation of my owner's manual. My tire sealant is original and 6 years old!!!! OMG!!!

1 - Did anyone use this stuff? Results?
2 - Did you replace it per our manuals? What happens to it if I don't swap it out for new?

Scenario: What happens if a I find myself crossing Death Valley on the hottest day of the year and have a puncture? No one is around, I have no water, my cell phone is left back at the NoTell Motel, and my radio is only picking up Hank Williams tunes. I open my trunk only to find my sealant is six years old!!! Yikes!

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-09-2016, 12:30 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Bruce, I think with that scenario, you are cooked!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the premise of The Hills Have Eyes 2
Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to use mine due to a screw getting in the tread of my rear tire. The goop got me home but I still had to flatbed to the tire place the next day.

I did pick up a Saftey Seal Tire Plug kit to 'replace' the goop.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:17 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a nail in one of the front tires on the way back from Parade last year. Talked myself out of using the goop and stopped at a store in a small town in TN and bought a cheap plug kit. Worked great! I had a 12v pump to re-inflate the tire. (It was part of a "kit" from my BMW I tossed in the car at the last minute)
Gary
Old 03-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have replaced the "goo" with last service but to be honest. The new one feels just as fluid as the old one. Maybe it's other properties that deteriorate?

However, as previous replies also I have used the tire plug kit instead. Once on the rear tyre on the Porsche and once on my wife's car. Works like a charm. I will drop the tyre off at the tyre shop to get it properly patched and I think this is better than having the tire and valve filled with goo.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

You know, I don't think I even have the puncture repair kit in my car. I think one of the previous owners took it.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
You know, I don't think I even have the puncture repair kit in my car. I think one of the previous owners took it.
It should be a bottle of goo and a compressor. I never took mine out of the foam holder.... never really took a close look at it to be honest. I do carry a tire patch kit and I am assuming the compressor will reinflate per what is denoted in my manual. No way am I shoving that goop in there and then have to deal with its removal.

My manual denotes that if you get the goop on the outside of the wheel, it will "peel off like a film", so apparently it should set up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-09-2016, 04:34 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Same year as you and decided to get a second type of tire plug kit and checked the compressor to see if it worked, LOL... Not going to update the goo, really don t want to use it. Don t know?
Old 03-09-2016, 05:10 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the original goo and air compressor. I also carry a can of a aerosol Slime (SUV) tire size which is probably getting long in the tooth. I like the aerosol just in case the compressor goes bad on me considering I never use the thing.

Track days I bring my own air compressor, and typically that's when i'm the furthest from any "support".

Thank goodness, I've never had to use the goo or Slime.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:08 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I prefer the plug over the goo method.
I agree on checking the expiry on your goo.
Does it have a date?
In my car, I have a scissor jack, piece of 2x4 to drive my car onto.
Wheel wrench, air compressor, work gloves, a dozen plugs and plug tools.
I can get that wheel off, plugged, re-inflated and back on the car in ten minutes.
While in death valley, heat and sun exposure are not your friend.
Or in my case, 3 million other motorists that will never stop to help one of their own.
A call to CAA/AAA will be a 2-3 hour wait. Tire Goo would be my last last try.

Which bring me to a family story. Up at the cottage, 3 islands away there was a convent. The nuns would get in a canoe, in full habits, head to toe, kneeling on their life jackets. Non of them knew how to swim. In high winds, with 6"-10" chop. They would eventually drift down to our dock. I would have been about 5 years old. My dad would grab them and toss them in our boat, with the canoe. He would go and yell at the mother superior.
"Jesus will not save these people" I can still hear him.

Sometimes you have to help yourself. Be prepared people.
Kudos to you bruce for checking.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 03-09-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Hilltopper
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

If planning to go through that scenario, i would have full size front spare in the back seat. Even in the best of scenarios on a long safari, AAA and other "roadside assistance" take time and you may be at the mercy of where they drop it off. With full size spare, you can get back on the road and have a new tire replacement order all ready in and shipped to your destination for mount. Trust me- how do I know?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 PM
motopix
Pro

Didn't get the kit with my car. I have a "Slime" brand kit w/compressor from WalMart, a tire plug kit, a sets of pliers to pull nails/screws, and an LED light.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:54 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Ditto on the tire patch/plug kit. Figure if that doesn't work AAA or the goo will do the job. Probably should try out my compressor....

Quick Reply: Tire Sealant - Anyone Use? Replace per manual?