Sponsored by:

How to wake the neighborhood at 11pm

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 AM
nevadakid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to wake the neighborhood at 11pm

tonight, I checked the lights on the trickle charger (us 3300 plugged into the cigarette lighter) and I noticed that the lights are not as usual.

instead of the usual

I thought that my battery was getting old and decided to check what percentage it was on the battery charger (Schumacher Electric 75A). I plugged it to the battery under the hood: Red on + and Black on - and the charger indicated that the battery was at 77%. The car had been on the trickle charger for 2 days and should have been at 100%.

So I decided to let the battery charge with the battery charger (not the trickle charger) for a few hours. Since the hood was up, the light inside the hood was on so I decided to lock the car with the remote thinking that the lights would go off. I heard a horn sound and left.

When I came back 2 hours later, the charger was at 100% and I unplugged it. I tried to unlock the car with the remote to no avail. I tried with the key in the door to no avail. I tried to open the door to try to start the car but the door was locked. I went to the passenger window that was open to allow the trickle charger cable to go into the car and tried to open the car from inside. The alarm went on (or went off? sorry for my english) and the hazard lights started flashing. Of course it was 11pm and I must have woken up all the neighbors...

After 2 minutes, the alarm stopped but the hazard continued to flash.

I then decided to disconnect the battery and re connect it. The lights went off.

I decided to let the car charge with the trickle charger during the night but as soon as i connected it and tried to open the door again, the alarm started again but with less volume, like if the battery was very low (the battery was still disconnected, stupid me, how am I supposed to charge the battery if the battery is not connected LOL) .

Anyway, I can't accept the idea to close the hood because I won't be able to re open it if the battery is flat... even though I don't think the battery is flat because the battery and lights can go on...

How do you charge a battery with a normal charger without closing the hood?

What did I do wrong?

Please help.

Thanks

Phil
Old 01-28-2016, 04:27 AM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my friend. Ctek extension Cable 2.5m. Thin and can be used with a closed hood without harm.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 964polar; 01-28-2016 at 04:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Posted in another thread 10 seconds ago but same here: this is what I Use. It's normally just tucked under the hood but still reachable by hand without opening the hood.

Please also note that the level on the charger is not abnormal! It will continuously charge and discharge the battery to simulate daily use. Sometimes it will be showing full charge but during short periods of time it will be in discharge/charge mode and then you will see those lights.
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Thank you for the tips.

this morning I tried to reattach the battery, the negative first then as soon as I touched the positive, the alarm woke up with the hazard lights again. I decided to let the alarm on and close the hood to see what would happen.
The alarm stopped after about 30 seconds, then started again for another 30 seconds, then stopped.

I was then able to use the remote to unlock the car and start the car.

Very weird. I think the car did not like the fact that I let the hood open and closed the car in the first place.

Trickle charger showing 100% charge.

I think I was in the twilight zone for a moment there...

Another good day starts!

Phil
Old 01-28-2016, 01:29 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Related question...I have 2 motorcycles & the car which I keep on the battery tender on rotation especially since the bikes are not used in the winter and the car is not used a lot during the week.

I have a battery tender with the traditional jumper cable type clamps as per the pic below. Is it possible to retro-fit the cables with a Ctek type 2-pin connector in order to use the Ctek extension cable?

Old 01-28-2016, 04:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Related question...I have 2 motorcycles & the car which I keep on the battery tender on rotation especially since the bikes are not used in the winter and the car is not used a lot during the week.

I have a battery tender with the traditional jumper cable type clamps as per the pic below. Is it possible to retro-fit the cables with a Ctek type 2-pin connector in order to use the Ctek extension cable?

Any of these what you're looking for?

http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/
Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 PM
EdwardB
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by nevadakid
Thank you for the tips.

this morning I tried to reattach the battery, the negative first then as soon as I touched the positive, the alarm woke up with the hazard lights again

Phil
Just a word of caution, when installing a battery (or connecting it) always install the positive terminal first then the negative. When removing, always remove the negative first then the positive.

In this order you will never short your tools to ground. (If you've ever worked on an aircrafts 28 volt system, you'll never make that mistake twice)
Old 01-28-2016, 07:10 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

Good point @ EdwardB... ouch!
Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks...think I need to do some mods to my current battery tender wiring to replace the alligator clips with the quick-release connector. Ordered some parts from Amazon.

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Any of these what you're looking for?

http://www.batterytender.com/Accessories/
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh. I thought this was going to be a thread about muffler bypass pipes.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Huh. I thought this was going to be a thread about muffler bypass pipes.
LOL, that was my thought as well. I thought there would be an audio clip of a newly installed Fister III or Fabspeed

Quick Reply: How to wake the neighborhood at 11pm