Sponsored by:

997 or 997 gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:13 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

Regarding the c4s..
It's actually faster around the track than a c2s - couple videos on this with professionals driving on YouTube. One Japanese show comes to mind where they tested every variation back to back and drag racing / on the track.
It is also faster than the c2s in the 1/4 mile runs and 0-60
The Awd is electronic and comes standard with a mechanical locking diff on the 997.2
The 997.2 wide body also includes superior cooling ducts in the rear.

Just some facts

Differn't styles of driving though between the c2s and c4s.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

So many cool cars showing up in this thread

Petza, what a list of mods. I'm kinda following in your footsteps with my C4s. I have some parts on order and will post up the mods soon.

Mk3boy, always loved the car. Cant go wrong with a white 997

Ynot, again, what a beautiful machine. Was this your car in the Excellence writeup?

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/magazi...-cayman-s.html

If you want a comparison with a modded 997 and a GT3, I think that article is a great read.

I personally love the widebody. And the GT3RS is lightyears out of my league. I also love modding. So for me, the natural choice was the 997.1 C4s.

OP, if widebody is not important to you, you dont need the rear seats, like the feeling of a raw car, have the money for a GT3, then I think I would go that route.

I personally am addicted to modding cars, but there is a terrible return on investment. If you do it right, it is a bit better in the Porsche community than other makes. But still, you can pretty much kiss most of the money spent on mods goodbye. Unless you keep all the original parts, and swap back to stock when time to sell. Then you have to deal with a bunch of cheapskates like me when selling your parts, and pack everything up to ship.

If you get bored of cars fast, then definitely go GT3. If you like to mod the hell out of them and keep them forever, then maybe 997 s/4s/GTs.

Good Luck. I dont think you can go wrong with what ever you choose.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Madturk
The only thing that bothers me on the gt3 is the narrow body. I thought the c4s and the c2s were both wide bodies��
That may have been true in previous generations, but for the 997 only the C2, C2S, & GT3 are narrow body - all the others are wide, as someone else stated.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold an '07 997S to move to an '07 GT3 about a year ago, put about 20K on the former in several years, about 6K on the latter in the past 12 months. Some thoughts:

Adding modifications, which can be expensive, return very little when the car is sold. Our GT3 was of course bought used, and came to us with about $30K+ of modifications, for no more money than a stock car.

The two cars are are exceedingly different. The former is a GT car, and yet very capable when pushed on a track or on the road. My wife enjoyed traveling in the S car. Was a very reliable car over it's life span, as I had the maintenance records from new.

We also have maintenance records from new of our GT3. It too has been exceedingly reliable, other than a recent "issue" due to something not a fault of the car. It's Mezger engine is known to be about as reliable as a rock, and very rebuildable, once the known problem with the coolant pipes is resolved. Ours has a no muffler but a straight out Sharkwerk's exhaust. It is really, really loud. It has the GT2 carbon seats, which will only fit a driver and passenger if they are pretty trim. They are also not easy to get in and out of. It is a raw, visceral car, and with the PCCB brakes, superbly easy to modulate in deceleration. The 8200 RPM redline means the engine has lots of "legs" when accelerating. Comes with a dash rev light at redline. Also a different shift linkage, truly like a rifle bolt when moving the short throw gear lever. Lots of alcantara if you like that. For most Porsche owners the GT3 cars are much less likely to be daily driven.

The earlier GT3 cars are much more visceral than the non "3" cars, in ways that are just hard to explain.

As for value, the past year or so has seen the GT3 and especially the RS versions hold very stable in their cost. The latter have actually significantly increased in value, so much so that current owners of the RS cars have the rare ownership experience of a used car increasing in value. Two years ago i checked out a 3.8 GT3 for sale for about $80K, that car now wherever it is now would cost a lot more to acquire.

You can make a standard 997 look like a GT3, but they are very different cars.

All the best...

NV
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yup, in my opinion Ynot has one of the best looking black 997s on here - Psymon has another with the rear ducktail if you want to see what that looks like. Nice work guys.
Thanks, you have a pretty nice looking modded 997 yourself.

Originally Posted by halo777
Ynot, again, what a beautiful machine. Was this your car in the Excellence writeup?

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/magazi...-cayman-s.html
No, it's not but we are twins besides the rear lights and wheels, it's pretty much identical on the outside. On the inside, he has the VF supercharger and I have the TPC turbocharger. Thanks for the compliment
Old 10-07-2015, 06:20 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

GT3, and it isn't close.

I don't track, and used my GT3 as a DD - and it's fine, regardless of what people will tell you.

I don't think I could ever go back to a Carrera.

Quick Reply: 997 or 997 gt3?