Sponsored by:

high pitch noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:06 AM
imsfails
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high pitch noise

I got my clutch and flywheel replaced recently. Since then I am hearing this noise. It happens at all gears and it is quite noticeable. Even when the engine is running at constant speed, the noise goes up and down. I am attaching the sound recording. The whining noise is easily heard towards the end as the engine sound goes down. You can recognize it by the sound that goes up and down.

If I depress the clutch the noise stops abruptly.

Any ideas what this sound is. My mechanic says it is coming form the engine and it has nothing to do with the work done on my car.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Car Copy.mp3 (264.4 KB, 270 views)
Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 154 Posts

Did he replace the throwout bearing too?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:15 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

yes.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:15 AM
thejoee
Advanced

I have the same problem!!! Any idea guys ?

I got this noise after I had my new engine replaced. They dropped the tranny and replaced my slave cylinder. Anyways, I have no idea what it is. My dealer is brushing me off and telling me all 997s make the same high pitch buzzing sound. BS !
Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,725 Likes on 4,277 Posts

If it goes away when you push in the clutch, it's likely the throwout bearing, especially since the noise wasn't there before the clutch and tyranny work. Must be making noise when it's free spinning without any load on it. I've read where some of the brand new bearings are under lubricated and you should inject them with grease using a turkey injection needle prior to installation.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:09 AM
imsfails
Intermediate

Interestingly I also had my engine replaced about an year ago. I can hear the whining noise in neutral when the car is still. But it doesn't go up and down like it does when driving. What could cause this noise to go up and down while the engine and car are running at constant speed. Can throw out bearing do this?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:27 PM
thejoee
Advanced

any updates to this ? my car is under CPO and I'm wondering if I can get this replaced.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:48 AM
imsfails
Intermediate

One thing I discovered is that this noise (going up and down) happens only when the car is moving and rpm is above 2K. Clutch can be in neutral. The noise abruptly disappears when you press the clutch, but that is only because you are not revving the engine. As soon as I get the rpm to 2K mark, I can hear this noise even while in neutral.

My dealer said it is likely throw out bearing or a bent folk, but my mechanic is not happy to redo the clutch. So I am going to live with this noise until something breaks.

If anybody is able to figure this out, please post on this thread.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:42 PM
thejoee
Advanced

Hmmm...mine is a bit different. My sound is identical to yours but when i rev at any rpm in neutral, there is no whining sound. It's only when I am in gear.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:58 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

That is what I see if my car is stationary. Try this: When the car is making noise at reasonable speed 30-35mph, go into neutral and then get the rpm to be higher that 2k.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 PM
thejoee
Advanced

Originally Posted by imsfails
That is what I see if my car is stationary. Try this: When the car is making noise at reasonable speed 30-35mph, go into neutral and then get the rpm to be higher that 2k.
YES ! Mine actually keeps that whining noise !
Old 11-01-2015, 11:31 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

great! We both have the same problem. If you ever learn anything new about this noise, pls post on this thread. I will do the same.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM
thejoee
Advanced

So my car has been with Porsche for a few days and they said that I shouldn't have anything to worry about if things have been the same for the 20,000 km I have on the new engine. They've done a bunch of tests and my engine is running strong. They hear the noise and say it sounds like a bearing of some sort, but every engine is different. But not the throwout bearing. And they've heard this in other cars as well and no concerns.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by imsfails
One thing I discovered is that this noise (going up and down) happens only when the car is moving and rpm is above 2K. Clutch can be in neutral. The noise abruptly disappears when you press the clutch, but that is only because you are not revving the engine. As soon as I get the rpm to 2K mark, I can hear this noise even while in neutral.

My dealer said it is likely throw out bearing or a bent folk, but my mechanic is not happy to redo the clutch. So I am going to live with this noise until something breaks.

If anybody is able to figure this out, please post on this thread.
Was this work than at an Indy? If the noise was not there before, it is likely a repair issue.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:54 PM
imsfails
Intermediate

thejoee, thanks for posting your update. Good to hear that it is not a big deal. I also think it is not engine as I started hearing this noise only after clutch replacement. The clutch is reassembled when the engine is rebuilt, so it is very likely that this noise is related to clutch assembly.

Adias, my clutch repair was done by indy. I also think it is a repair issue, but my indy disagrees. For now I have learned to live with this noise.

Quick Reply: high pitch noise