Help me decide between these two GTSs

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:48 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help me decide between these two GTSs

Hi Rennlisters,

I sold my targa 4 S and am planning to replace it with a '12 GTS cab. I'm trying to decide between these 2. Both cars are being sold by Porsche dealerships and have these same options: Carrara white, PDK, heated seats, adaptive sport seats, sport chrono +, bi-xenons, NAV, Bose, Siruis XM.

I live in Utah and Car #1 is in California. Original MSRP $136k. CPO with 2 years of warranty but asking price is $3k more. Mileage 10,500 Interior is black leather/alcantara with white painted console, seat backs and some trim. Black seat belts & gauges.

Pros: closer so shipping will be less, CPO warranty.

Car #2 is in New Jersey. Original MSRP of $143k. Mileage 12,500 Options not found on #1: full black leather vs the alcantara, deviated red stitching, red seat belts, red gauges, carbon interior package, illuminated door sills, rear parking sensors.

Pros: $3k less, more exciting interior (might be harder to resell someday?)

Not sure if the red gauges will get old so I'd like to hear if anyone has had red or yellow gauges and what do you think after having them for a while.

I guess I can't go wrong with either one but give me your opinions! TIA
Old 07-05-2015, 08:20 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,062 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by MFank
Hi Rennlisters,

I sold my targa 4 S and am planning to replace it with a '12 GTS cab. I'm trying to decide between these 2. Both cars are being sold by Porsche dealerships and have these same options: Carrara white, PDK, heated seats, adaptive sport seats, sport chrono +, bi-xenons, NAV, Bose, Siruis XM.

I live in Utah and Car #1 is in California. Original MSRP $136k. CPO with 2 years of warranty but asking price is $3k more. Mileage 10,500 Interior is black leather/alcantara with white painted console, seat backs and some trim. Black seat belts & gauges.

Car #2 is in New Jersey. Original MSRP of $143k. Mileage 12,500 Options not found on #1: full black leather vs the alcantara, deviated red stitching, red seat belts, red gauges, carbon interior package, illuminated door sills, rear parking sensors.

Not sure if the red gauges will get old so I'd like to hear if anyone has had red or yellow gauges and what do you think after having them for a while.

I'd take # 2 hands down. Sounds like a cool car. I have red gauges and have stared at them for over 15,000 miles now. Very happy with them and would do it again. Only on black interior though.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

I would never do red gauges. I have black ones in my C4S and enjoy that. At night I like how it blends in.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:56 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CF pieces don't do it for me, and are expensive. Mileage is moot, you could put on 2k in a long weekend. I would think about what the car has been driven in, winter salt is a no-go for me. Who were the owners?
A 19 y/o trust fund baby, or a 40 y/o accountant…

Either way, Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,540 Likes on 964 Posts

I like the interior that you described in the second car. That being said, I've heard lots of stories about OE carbon fiber aging poorly. A cabriolet will expose the carbon fiber trim to even more sunlight than a coupe, so it may be susceptible to problems in a few years.

I don't think that either car is a bad option.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Just based on climate I'd take car 1 (assuming it spent all its life in California). Car 2 could have suffered through some harsh winters on the east coast. CPO has some value too - maybe close to $3K
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Is the car in CA a CA car, that is, has it spent it's entire life in CA? If so, less exposure to road grit, but at those miles, probably immaterial. The red stuff and cf do nothing for me, but that's subjective. I think those bits will limit potential future buyers if you plan to flip it in a few years.

I'm not clear on CPO. If car 2 is not CPO, then pricing is near same.

Mine's a black car, and the black cars I looked at with red parts were not attractive. Different in white.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Both cars are 1 owner. CA car was in CA the whole time and same thing w/ the NJ car. I don't know what weather the NJ car was expose to but I figure very few owners would drive a GTS cab in the winter. It will not see bad weather while I own it!

My biggest hesitation with the 2nd car is the red bits may limit potential buyers but I plan to keep this for a while. I like it so I guess that is what ultimately matters.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:33 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The California car seems much more subtle...less pimp.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:44 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rennlisters,

======
I have Yellow gauges that match my PTS Pastel Yellow. I like them. At night you do not see the yellow. I'd go with the black.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

If still under original factory warranty you can get an aftermarket warranty from Fidelity et al for similar price point or only a little more, and will cover more years/mileage. I paid $3k for a 5yr/60k and a $250 deduct, mileage was 13k at the time. I wouldn't necessarily let CPO or non-CPO guide your decision.

Personally, I would do #2 (very similar to mine except for the red bits).
Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the Jersey car any where near the coast? Hurricane Sandy.......?
Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 AM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Is the Jersey car any where near the coast? Hurricane Sandy.......?
Good question..... The carfax is clean but I'm going to do a little more checking on the history.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I would take the first car for 3 main reasons:

1. I prefer alcantara and am not a huge fan of red gauges.
2. CA car > NJ car (in general - plus you save a lot on shipping)
3. CPO > non CPO in my opinion (in general)

But for $3k difference, get the one you like better!!!
Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Hi Rennlisters,

#2 sounds awesome. I have red gauges and belts. You can't really see the red gauges at night and they look terrific during the day. Red belts look terrific too IMO and are not noticeable when you're wearing them. I also have full leather in my GTS. CPO is something to consider here more than anything else. I'd opt for the $3k more car with a CPO but if that weren't a deciding factor I'd go with #2 for sure.

Quick Reply: Help me decide between these two GTSs