Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSB for window not closing when convertible top closed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:30 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB for window not closing when convertible top closed?

Have had an intermittent problem with the passenger window going up about 2/3 during top close then reversing as if it sensed an obstruction (arm). I do remember reading of at least on owner on here with the problem. So had the car into Braman West Palm today for it's routine services and this. They tell me its fine now, and now I find instead of being intermittent it now won't close EVERY time. Does anyone know of a TSB on this issue. I think the person I read on here had his window motor replaced but I can't remember. I should have left it alone and not let the dealer **** with it!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

My 997 TT cabriolet does this occasionally. Maybe I won't get it "fixed" now!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the same on passenger side but only one out of 5 times.

If I keep the button engaged it goes all the way up.

I assume it is due to electrical motor feeling too much resistance.

Had the exact same thing on a passenger car and the tech solved it by greasing the seals. Stupid since after that the window was always full of grease which was "reapplied" everytime the window went up and down.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I have the same on passenger side but only one out of 5 times.

If I keep the button engaged it goes all the way up.

I assume it is due to electrical motor feeling too much resistance.

Had the exact same thing on a passenger car and the tech solved it by greasing the seals. Stupid since after that the window was always full of grease which was "reapplied" everytime the window went up and down.
Thanks. What they did to mine was "Lubricated window and top seals". Unfortunately my result was the problem got worse.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you tried to reset the top (up) position of the window? There is a section in the owners manual on just how to do this for the 997. If this has been tried and still no luck, then it sounds quite possibly you have a bad window up sensor or a faulty window motor. If you are out of warranty, then you are out some money if you want it fixed. Alternatively you could take it back to the shop and demonstrate to them that in fact the problem is not fixed and actually worse. Unfortunately window issues with cabs are a common problem - every few months I have to redo my driver's side rear window's up position when closing the top. I feel your pain.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Car is still under warranty until December... I don't see anything about reset in the manual but I did find instructions mentioned in this thread, but executing them doesn't help. So window sensor or window motor to mention to the dealer. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 PM
JasonNY
Instructor

Just wanted to update this post for anyone searching for the same problem...

Had the car back to Braman, they replaced the electric motor (part 997-624-182-06, normally $526, was covered under warranty). Technician states window hits pinch protection when closing the top. Passenger window motor has internal short causing the window to hit pinch protection.

Since replaced i've closed the top at least a dozen times with no problem, so it looks like they found the issue. Thanks again for all the replies on here.

Quick Reply: TSB for window not closing when convertible top closed?